Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts

Go down 
+8
bikehiker
Meldrew
cube
john grinsel
GHM-PM
Easyrider
Delray
Russ Wristen
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Russ Wristen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2019-06-25

tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts Empty
PostSubject: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 11:10 pm

tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts 15619410

The 2006 Silverwing I have purchased needs a new rear tire and front tire. The rear tire is totally slick and bald. The front tire has some tread on it but I figure as long as I’m replacing the rear I should replace the front as well.

A local motorcycle mechanic says he can replace both for $90 per tire and $45 labor each which is a total of $270. I’m not physically able to do it myself so this sounds reasonable to me when I hear that other motorcycle garages are charging $90 bucks labor.

He did not specify what tire brand though.. I know that these are factory stock original biased tires.

In the 14 years that has passed, would you advise going back with the standard bias replacement tires or upgrade to a radial tire? Are those even recommended for scooters?

Is there a specific brand that you would recommend here in the USA?

Any tire that you would tell me to stay away from?

Obviously I understand there is a difference in manufacturers and I certainly don’t want him to put on a cheap tire.

Keep in mind this is a trike which has two outer automobile wheels 13“ x 60. They are still in great shape but I have not checked the age on them. They also may need replaced but I can get those at any automobile store.

Battery.
I’m curious and forgive me for sounding stupid because this is my first bike purchase and I am a 62-year-old fat overweight two bad knees guy.

Does the battery charge when the motorcycle is running? I’m pretty sure this does not have an alternator on it but I could be wrong; please explain to me how the battery maintains its charge when the motorcycle is running.

Additionally this is a lead acid battery. Would you recommend staying with this type or going with the lithium ion? Should I buy an extra battery to carry with me at all times?

I’m pretty sure I’m just going to use this for weekend riding with my buds, I don’t plan on using this to commute around town, there’s enough crazy drivers in this city without me adding to the mix. So it will be stored in a covered shed more often than not.

Helmut. Geez I can see you rolling your eyes right now you’re probably thinking I should not go anywhere near the road on this bike. Well you could be right. But I’m thinking I’ll need a helmet. Any particular brands that you favor? I am surely not interested in purchasing more than $200 worth of skull protection. I see a lot of favored 5 star brands on Amazon. But seriously, what do you think I need?

There may be times I might be scooting down the road at 70 mph I don’t know where my buddies are going to be taking me. Also type: Should I go full face or three-quarter? Any recommendations are welcome.

Sorry I made this so long guys. Make fun of me if you want. I’m way past the midlife crisis I married and divorced her. I’ve bought every gun that I’ve ever wanted. And while I’m not really up to buying a gold wing or Harley Davidson trike I thought this Silverwing might be interesting to play around with for a few weekends.

But I want to do it safely. That’s why I’ve joined us for him.

Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 11:25 pm

Sharp looking trike! As mentioned earlier, I know nada about trikes, so I'll defer your questions to others here who know way more about trikes (and the mechanics of the Silver Wing).

I will say this about helmets: make sure you look into a flip-down sun visor. One flick of the wrist and you have instant sunglasses (mighty handy in the Texas sun). Here's one low-cost example ....

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gmax-gm32-helmet-solid?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz7WtnuKS4wIVTYezCh2zcwgkEAAYASAAEgIm1fD_BwE
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 12:07 am

For tires I would go with IRCs front and back. I just replaced my rear with same at 15k miles. My front still has a few thousand miles left. Stay away from Michelin Pure SC front tires. They follow tar snakes, does bad over rail road tracks, bad on groved concrete hghways.

As for lithium ion batteries, I would discourage getting them. I got a lithium battery for my Swing this year and regret it. It does not do well on your Swing because of the constant electrical draw, especially if you have an alarm system. My new Shorai battery will not last four days sitting idle. Will not start the bike. Clock, and trip meters will reset. Shorai tech confirmed that I needed their battery tender. My other gel batteries used to last two weeks without any problems.

As for helmets, Bell makes affordable helmets with a drop-down internal viser that can be replaced with other tinted ones. Not glasses friendly. HJC makes helmets with drop-down visers, but costs a little more and are glasses friendly.

GOOD LUCK!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 8:31 am

1. I second the IRC tires, they wear great and handle OK and price is good too.

2. Stick with a standard AGM battery, best bang for the buck. Check online they can be had very reasonable, replace every 2-3 years max. A 2nd battery is not needed.
https://www.batterysharks.com/Motorcycle-Batteries-s/439.htm

3. Helmets MUST fit properly or they do no good, you won't wear them. I use GMAX because they fit and won't break the bank. I bought a Nolan and took it back, tried on HJC and my head hurt for two days. Bell and Cycle Gear don't come big enough for me. So ultimately find a place where you can try on several different types and brands, don't order blind online... Good luck.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 12:57 pm

I second the GMAX helmets---they fit/right priced....buy from dealer.

Since trike conversions do not handle well----and no adjustment for trail has been made, I assume there is a lot of dragging on front----anything priced right may work. I have nothing against IRC....they work. IRC on rear also ok.

I assume the person critical of Michelin Power Pure SC has ridden them 50-75,000 miles like I have they worked well for me on both SilverWing and Burgman 400. They work well on solo scooters and wear round.

changing rear tire/wheel on you trike is real pain in butt----go with whoever will and can do it.

Battery----go with standard Honda OEM battery----disconnect all useless electric junk that may draw on battery when bike is parked.....no need for extra battery
Back to top Go down
cube
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Find a shop that knows how to fit a helmet and understands head shapes.. makes a huge difference.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 pm

So does knowing what your own head shape is and which helmet manufacturers produce helmets for your head shape. I'm an Intermediate Oval head shape so Schuberth, Arai, and Nolan helmets fit me comfortably.

Someone wants to correct Helmut to Helmet. Helmut is a German boys name.
Back to top Go down
cube
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 7:41 pm

It took a good shop to help me figure out that I was a long oval, so Bells are best and Shoei +1 size also work.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 12:18 am

john grinsel wrote:

I assume the person critical of Michelin Power Pure SC has ridden them 50-75,000 miles like I have they worked well for me on both SilverWing and Burgman 400.   They work well on solo scooters and wear round.

changing rear tire/wheel on you trike is real pain in butt----go with whoever will and can do it.

Battery----go with standard Honda OEM battery----disconnect all useless electric junk that may draw on battery when bike is parked.....no need for extra battery

I tried the Michelin Power Pure SC both front and rear for about 7k miles. I liked the rear but disliked the front. Too many road imperfections influenced the tracking of the bike. Nothing I could not handle, just weird. If I remember correctly, it seemed to me that the direction of the treads were wrong, but I followed the direction of the arrow.

As for changing the rear tire, I still am able to do it myself using a Harbor Freight tire changer with a motorcycle wheel attachment that I modified to protect and hold the wheel on the changer. You still have to use a strap to avoid the wheel from sliding.

As for the battery, the stock Swing will always have current that will draw on the battery. I recommend a good AGM battery and replace every four years or sooner if it starts showing signs of power loss when starting the motor.

Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 12:53 pm

Full face for full safety. A friend's wife had an accident in which her full face helmet protected her from permanent serious facial damage.

Another benefit of full face: You can ride in the coldest weather in full comfort.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 1:19 pm

It's kinda weird reading posts about the best type of helmet coming from the other side of the Pond. I've seen plenty of riders over there bareheaded, or wearing headbands, bandanas, doo rags, baseball caps, and those ridiculous piss pot/brain bucket helmets.
Back to top Go down
cube
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 4:41 pm

As I always tell my fiancee, "you only wear a helmet if you have something to protect." While helmets are optional many places in the States, she became an ATGATT fan after her crash.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Meldrew wrote:
It's kinda weird reading posts about the best type of helmet coming from the other side of the Pond. I've seen plenty of riders over there bareheaded, or wearing headbands, bandanas, doo rags, baseball caps, and those ridiculous piss pot/brain bucket helmets.

It's very common in US. not to wear a helmet for some riders and many are killed or very injured. It's the Freedom, looking cool thing.

I can tell you from my dirt biking days you almost always hit your head in a crash.
Scratches and scrapes on helmet don't lie. With a helmet you might not even know you hit it happens so fast but marks are there.

I like HJC helmets fit me good. Flip up with internal sun shade. Washable liner to avoid the stink after hot days.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 10:27 pm

If you have a $50 head, wear a $50 helmet...
That was the sign in the bike shop from over 30 years ago.

Unfortunately, I have an HR Giger Alien head, and the only helmets that fit me are the HJC 5x size!

I so much have wanted a really good helmet:(  

AS for the comments about Power Pure tires I've used 3 or 4 sets and found the same issues with the front, following road features in a negative manor and headshake decelerating through 30mph.
The rears however, wear great.

As for batteries, stay away from Lithium, No real need for them on the Silverwing, and they have several drawbacks...just get a standard AGM and change it every year or two, if you wait until you have starting problems you are likely overheating your stator.
Batteries are cheaper and easier to change than stators.

Also, "Walking Sucks"...
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 8:45 am

As for batteries, stay away from Lithium, <<>> curious to what the problems are especially with our bikes.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 8:45 am

My 2 Cents:

As far as Lithium Ion batteries go, I've had one in my SWing for over 4 years now without ANY problems. I charge it up about once a month during winter to maintain the charge but in the summer I never have to charge it. And it weighs under 2 Lbs.
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts Li_bat12
tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts Li_bat13
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 10:35 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
As for batteries, stay away from Lithium, <<>> curious to what the problems are especially with our bikes.

Read my earlier post.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 11:44 pm

As far as I know, lithium aren't the best in COLD weather. But as far as summer and warmer temps go I've never had a problem with mine. When this one dies I will replace it with another one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts   tires - Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for tires battery and helmuts
Page 1 of 1