Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hump Bags on scooter

Go down 
+2
MikeO
john grinsel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Hump Bags on scooter Empty
PostSubject: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 12:34 pm

I have and use SOMETIMES, Givi scooter hump bag---secure bottom with Velcro, top snap to eyelet with SilverWing and Burgman 400, Kymco nylon chain to ignition switch----never had one fall off.   Bag, in  my case, must come off to fuel up.

Dislike=makes mounting bike much harder.   Plus loaded brings weight forward, handy to get at stuff with my touring set up.

Mine has lasted over 10 years, rides nice.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 3:25 pm

I use one on weekend trips away; it's a Givi and is a bit of a tight squeeze but  it suits my purposes.
Faced with the problems John has highlighted, I have attached a curly-whurly disc-lock cable to the shoulder-strap on the bag, the other end of which i hang on the handlebar RAM mount. I place the bag conveniently on the ground, mount and then haul the bag into place with the strap. Getting off is the reverse proceedure.
It sounds a bit awkward but I'm good at it now.
The tight fit hold the bag in place but I fasten straps to it which go round the seat hinge.

I also have a small bag which clips on my self-fabricated curry-hook where the little square blanking plug is at the front of the tunnel.
There's a pictorial of how I made this in my Album here:

https://www.silverwing600.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-MikeO/Personal-album-of-MikeO-cat_u308.htm

Incidentally, I used aluminium tubing and pop-rivets: the wooden dowel and coloured drawing-pins were for demonstration purposes.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 5:11 am

Hump bags, tunnel bags or whatever you like to call them are useful as a place to put waterproofs for easy access. The downside is you'll also fill the bag with extra stuff you think you might need on your trip and inevitably never use.  With a tunnel bag fitted your legs are going to be splayed out wider than normal, and in bad weather they're exposed to more wind and rain, unless you have the Honda leg wind deflectors fitted.

Then apart from the inevitable clambering over it every time you need get on and off the scooter, extra weight hauling a fully loaded Silver Wing plus tunnel bag on to it's main stand, taking it off to refuel and then having to reattach it. A tunnel bag is also potentionally vulnerable to theft when your scooter is left unattended.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 10:45 am

What's this; 'You will find......, your legs will be splayed out wider' stuff?
That may be your experience but none of what you say is mine.
My method of avoiding climbing over my tunnel-bag works very well for me.
My bag is not vulnerable to theft because I take it with me when I'm off the bike ..... and it's not filled with 'extra stuff' because i plan beforehand.

Keep your negative opinions to yourself; if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Your attitude is not in line with the ethos of this site.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Really, I'm relating my experience of using three using tunnel bags by Chase Harper, Oxford Products, and Moto- Detail on a Helix, 400 and 650 Burgmans over the last 20 years or so. Some fit better than others, and unfortunately my best bag, the expandable Chase Harper has been too large to fit on any maxi other than the Helix.

I've never used a tunnelbag on weekends away because I've never found them necessary, and I've Ortlieb and other roll top waterproof bags that go on the rear seat. I only used a tank bang for ten days to two week touring breaks, riding alone or with Mrs M.

Obviously carrying gear for a passenger means more stuff, and they've been the only times I've had to fit a tunnel bag and a set of soft panniers/saddlebags.

I plan my packing too, a lot of my non riding gear is the same easy care lightweight stuff that I also use on long weekend Euro breaks, where we're restricted to hand luggage.

But on them I can't bring back all the stuff I buy and bring back from my regular trips to Germany, that my tunnel bag was occasionally useful for.

Neither do I carry my tunnel bag, helmet, or any other stuff around when I'm visiting a place on tour, it's locked away on the scooter. After arriving at my destination it stays in my hotel room. It's then only used again for the ride home, usually full of the stuff I've purchased. I regularly buy bike gear from Louis, Polo, and FC Moto, or quality German kitchenware from Kaufhaus or Karstsadt before I head back to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge for the Hull ferry, and it's all got to go somewhere.

Yes legs splayed out wider, obviously not like a chopper rider, but my Moto-Detail bag can hold a lot of stuff when fully laden. Getting on and off over a fully laden tank bag is a bind too, that well used Moto-Detail bag fitted on top of the tunnel is almost as high as the seat on both the Silver Wing and the 650 Burgman.

It's obviously larger than your Givi too, as I removed all unnecessary bits of it so it would fit comfortably in the tunnels of both scooter with it's rain cover on.

Now while I no longer can  throw my leg over a high motorcycle seat like I could in my BMW GS days back in the Nineties, it's still pretty difficult to get on and off with the bag fitted, and I get on and off the Silver Wing or other large maxi like most older folk stepping over the tunnel. That's OK when you've got lightweight gear on, I tend to wear a two piece textile suit like my Klim and with it's full D3O armour fitted, I find getting on over a tunnel bag more restricting mobility wise.

So that's my experience of using tunnel bags for what I do, and it's obviously a lot different from yours.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 2:10 pm

No!
I quote:
..you'll also fill the bag with extra stuff you think you might need on your trip and inevitably never use.  With a tunnel bag fitted your legs are going to be splayed out wider than normal, and in bad weather they're exposed to more wind and rain, unless you have the Honda leg wind deflectors fitted.'

'You' is the key word. It may apply to you but don't tell others what it will do to them.

You cannot wriggle out of your arrogance by trying to change what you have said.

You are trolling this forum.

Since you block e-mails and PMs I warn you in public to desist or be banned.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 3:12 pm

That's fine with me mate, you’ve done it before when you were on a power trip in your short tenure as site owner, and 'helped' my old mate Brubaker on his way too. In fact I still have the email that you got bigbird to send for you. So it's no big deal if you want to do it again. No doubt a lot of members on here will also breathe a sigh of relief.

Members leave maxi forums all the time, boredom, in the huff because someone has posted something that's pissed them off etc.

Last time your excuse was I wouldn’t share details of that Airflow top screen retention mod I added to my own Silver Wing. I was completely right too as I've never read about anyones top screen flying off since then.

As this is a Silver Wing forum and both Brubaker got rid of ours for the new Forza last year, I do often wonder myself why I've hung around on here so long to read the same old stuff on Airflows, Dr Pulley stuff, Hyperpro fork springs, and new members throwing cash at moneypit old Silver Wings.  

My current interest in the Silver Wing has now waned to such a low, I can't even be bothered to sell the Airflow, FSM, and other leftover junk like that DennisB sat nav mount.

So I'm quite happy to sling my hook, and I have the distinction of being booted off here twice like that Lalee/larryfromseattle bloke.

Then I can can lurk away happily reading the posts saying what a miserable and negative twat I was. Don't disappoint me folks.

Finally I’d like to thank site owner JeffR for creating an excellent site for Silver Wing owners and his tutorials were a great help in my early days.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 4:57 pm

Gentlemen, Please.

Hump Bags on scooter Image21
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 6:11 pm

"Really, I'm relating my experience ..."

As a career-long writer of advertising, "you" is the most important word in the dictionary. It's essential to stand in the shoes of your audience. That's how I interpreted Meldrew's info. Substitute "One will find ..." for "You will find ..." and it's the same: shared experience which might benefit someone (which is the core benefit of this site).

Now, if you want to spank the guy who regularly insults others directly (and I have been victim) by telling them they are not real manly-men riders unless they do everything exactly his way, while racking up 3,289,324 miles, on 89 bikes, all with OEM equipment, through hurricanes and blizzards, not stopping to pee for 14 hours, I have no problem with that.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Meldrew wrote
"As this is a Silver Wing forum and both Brubaker got rid of ours for the new Forza last year, I do often wonder myself why I've hung around on here so long to read the same old stuff on Airflows, Dr Pulley stuff, Hyperpro fork springs, and new members throwing cash at moneypit old Silver Wings.  "

I for one find that comment insulting, I myself am relatively new on here and I enjoy reading other members Tips, Hints, practical knowledge of doing things to their Swings and helping others that are new to this type of Bike, and it is MY money that I throw at it and not anyone else's.

Meldrew, at times I find your comments Witty, with a nice touch of a "British Dry sense of humour" and enjoy them, but please don't slag of people for spending their own cash on what they want or asking for help on Various add on's mate. Be nice as life is SHORT Wink
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hump Bags on scooter   Hump Bags on scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 11:25 pm

Enough, already!

Really, a piss'n contest about tunnel bags?

Thread locked
Back to top Go down

Hump Bags on scooter
Page 1 of 1