Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

fork oil change

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
tullypilot
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tullypilot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-01-08

fork seal - fork oil change Empty
PostSubject: fork oil change   fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 12:39 pm

I want to change oil in my forks but I can not fnd any instructions. I find instructions to rebuild them but not to just change oil. I do not want to dismantle the forks to remove the old oil but tjhat is the only way the rebuild instructions show you how to get the old ol out. CAN ANYONE HELP
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: fork oil change   fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 1:15 pm

You read the instructions correctly.

Remove the fork leg from the 'triple tree', take off the cap, dump out the old oil. Repeat for opposite side.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: fork oil change   fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 2:05 pm

But don't forget to refill the shocks with the correct oil and amount. But then that's pretty self-explanatory.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: fork oil change   fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 11:50 pm

Don't forget to use FORK OIL 15-20wt.

Last edited by Easyrider on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marvincon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Marvincon

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2019-05-06

PostSubject: Re: fork oil change   fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 5:41 am

Did mine yesterday, remove wheel, I had to use a ring spanner to access the upper clamp bolts. Legs drop out when the 2 bolts are removed. Put upper leg in protected vice jaws and slowly unscrew fork cap, keep other hand on top to stop parts flying of, there is some tension but not excessive. Remove cap, spacer, washer and spring (close coils upwards). Turn upside down and pump a few times to drain oil, I left mine inverted a few minutes. Using 10w Castrol fork oil and with the leg fully compressed fill to 97mm from top. Fill slowly and pump up and down after each oil addition.to remove any air
Refit parts, spring, washer, spacer and cap. With left hand on leg holding it full extended, I pushed down on cap with a socket spanner to screw in. Careful not to cross threads. Ensure the top clamp bolt engages with the slot in the upper fork leg. I tightened the clamp bolts with a ring spanner as getting my torque wrench in there would require further dismantling, so used my 50+ years feel 🙀, this is how I did it and is not advice for you to do it 👍
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: fork oil change   fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 2:31 am

Well, as I have mine "in bits" whilst I try and make a new mudguard, I might as well do this as well.

I have alsways used ATF as fork oil, mainly because (And I accept this might be more bunkum than fact) ATF is able to flow just as well in cold temperatures as it will when at 100C, and it should mean the forks work just as well at sub zero temps as summer temps. And as I'm a year round biker, I need that.
Back to top Go down
tullypilot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-01-08

PostSubject: Re: fork oil change   fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks for the help.  I removed the front cover to get to the top caps in order to loosen them.  I should have got a cheap 22mm wrench and sawed it off in order to get to the caps as it would saved the work to remove the front cover.  That takes time when you have never done it before.  I used the recommended Honda fork oil (10wt) and it made a world of difference.  Glad I did it and will do it again in a year or two.  Will have a sawed off 22mm before I start.

Thanks again

Tullypilot
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: fork oil change   fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 11:10 am

No need to remove the entire front cover. Loosen the 4 pinch bolts holding the fork tubes while the front wheel is on the ground. Then jack up the front end, remove fender (mudguard) and brake caliper, then the front wheel. Once that stuff is out of the way finish removing the pinch bolts and drop the fork tubes.

However if you'd rather tackle the forks in situ then by all means remove the front cover and have at it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fork oil change   fork seal - fork oil change I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fork oil change
Page 1 of 1