Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Slapping Noise

Go down 
+2
cotetoi
GoonerKev
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 5:20 am

Still waiting for my Dr. Pulley rollers and Sliders to be back in stock (becoming a joke now (almost 3 weeks). I have noticed between the speeds of around 35mph & 40mph whilst accelerating, there is some "Slapping" noise very briefly then goes away after passing 40mph. Any idea's or solution would be welcomed, thanks.

Kev
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 11:24 am

Only thing coming to mind is the belt. Where it occurs in that narrow band it is the most likely culprit.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 11:31 am

That belt slap noise is common. More noticeable as the belt ages and stretches. And especially noticeable if the belt is installed backwards (arrows point in the direction of travel). So don't worry.

Regarding your backordered Dr Pulley stuff. I do know that they (Dr Pulley / Union Material) had a dust up with Dirk Dastardly (or whatever the guy's name), their EU agent, and no longer supplies DrP products to them. I dont know who the current EU agent is for DrP

Late last year Daniel Chen of Dr.Pulley / Union Material posted a great sale of their products here on our forum. Darned if I can find the postings for that promotion though. Anyway you might try ordering those sliding weights or roller weights direct and slide pieces directly from him at: service3@unionmaterial.com 
It might help if you mention that you were referred via our form.  HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Jay
Thanks for that info mate. Wink

Tim
Thank you also for the info, and funnily enough it's Dirk who I am dealing with on the rollers & sliders, he has posted the sliders now (according to him) but he keeps saying he is waiting for the newr style rollers to come in, then he can dispatch to me !!!!!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 5:37 pm

Kev, those "new style" rollers from Dirk will not be Dr Pulley products.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t10883-announcement-from-dr-pulley?highlight=Dr+Pulley+announcement

Tim
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 5:52 pm

Many thanks for that Tim, really appreciate it, now I know why he's giving me the run a round, will look elsewhere now on the links you gave Wink Wink

thumbs up
Kev
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 6:27 pm

Hi Tim
Ordered from:
http://maksor-scooterparts.com/
Was all in Dutch but found my way around, all payed for. Thanks once again sir Wink
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 9:06 am

Mine was doing that with 13k belt. Once you pull belt cover black marks on swing arm upper and lower will show where belt is rubbing. Normal from what most say.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 9:50 am

Mech 1 twa
Thank you mate, appreciate that Wink
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 1:39 am

The Dr. Pulley Rollers arrived last night (and came with SP2820-W Sliders as well), I had already bought those from Dirk the other week, oh well looks like I have a spare set now. If weather is ok today, I will go for the Belt, Rollers, Sliders & Air filter change, then a test ride Wink

For anyone that may need to order Rollers or Sliders, Tim gave me a good link and they are quick:
SR2820/8 26gr & SP2820-W = £60

Same from https://drpulley.shopnix.de Dirk Diestel
SR2820/8 26gr & SP2820-W = £79.50
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 4:25 am

GoonerKev wrote:
The Dr. Pulley Rollers arrived last night (and came with SP2820-W Sliders as well), I had already bought those from Dirk the other week, oh well looks like I have a spare set now. If weather is ok today, I will go for the Belt, Rollers, Sliders & Air filter change, then a test ride Wink

For anyone that may need to order Rollers or Sliders, Tim gave me a good link and they are quick:
SR2820/8 26gr & SP2820-W = £60

Same from https://drpulley.shopnix.de    Dirk Diestel
SR2820/8 26gr & SP2820-W = £79.50

You can install sliders or rollers but not both. By design sliders have the ability to lower the RPM at the 60+ MPH.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 4:35 am

Easy
I understood that you can install both, why would they send both out in the package ?

Slapping Noise 38_010
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 10:58 am

GoonerKev wrote:
Easy
I understood that you can install both, why would they send both out in the package ?

Kev

Confusions of terms. Those are Slide Pieces (SP), which fit on the ramp plate. Sliding weights / Sliding Roller weights (SR), commonly referred to as "Sliders", are distinguished from Rolling Roller weights (RR). Both of which fit in the variator.

Now translate that nuance into German or Chinese...

Tim

Mistakes will be made. Others will be blamed
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 12:59 pm

Thanks Tim Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Well, all sorted today. Changed Belt, Sliders, Slide Pieces, Air Filter, other Filter, cleaned all the gunk out and took for a test ride. Was so smooth and very responsive (quick pick-up). A big thank you to all those who gave me some sound advice on doing this, thank you so much Wink Wink

Slapping Noise Belt_c10

Last edited by GoonerKev on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 12:36 am

GoonerKev,
In your posted pictures, you have the Dr. Pulley SLIDERS and not ROLLERS. My choice would be the SLIDERS also. Have fun and ride safe.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 2:42 am

Easy, Thank you & corrected now, a "Senior Moment" had taken place. Lots more to come Laughing Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 11:47 am

As an aside here, my belt only stopped slapping after I fitted a replacement second hand clutch drum, (the original was wrecked). Previous to that I always had some form of belt slap even after new rollers and slide pieces and a new belt. I am currently getting a noise when I 'hard launch' which sounds a bit like belt slap but I reckon it's a piece of tupperware rattling! I suspect the underside cover above the number plate or the number plate itself. I'll post my findings.

Anyhow GoonerKev, glad your SW is running better. It feels good when you 'do it yourself' dunnit?

BTW, is your username anything to do with a football club? I thought our friends across the pond might be curious!
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Loosebearing
Hope you get that noise sorted, it can be so annoying to hear something and you can't find it, indeed the bike feels so much more responsive (not that it was sluggish in the first place Wink ). and I learned a lot more things doing it, which is a good thing. My username is to do with my beloved Football Club, the ARSENAL & I stick with them through thick & thin, no matter what (pretty thin at the moment Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Now the Swing is how I like & want it, I have now been stripping down my old LML "Vespa PX" today, getting it ready for some nice runs out.

Kev
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 1:06 pm

Yeah, it's good to know your bike. I have found the SW fairly easy to work on although I haven't needed to get to the engine so far! My belt is due for a change soon and I might put in sliders to replace the rollers. I love working on this bike. What a Face
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Slapping Noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slapping Noise   Slapping Noise I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 1:30 pm

With you all the way on that one, and being a Honda = reliability Wink
Back to top Go down

Slapping Noise
Page 1 of 1