Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)

Go down 
+2
GoonerKev
oldwingguy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 9:00 am

One more bit, buy a pair of shock covers ( gaiters ) for the front forks to protect the fork tubes from nicks and seal damage.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks oldwingguy I will take a look at them Wink
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 12:17 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
One more bit, buy a pair of shock covers ( gaiters ) for the front forks to protect the fork tubes from nicks and seal damage.

It's all right saying buy a pair of fork gaiters, but who really wants all the hassle associated with fitting a pair? They aren't really necessary as almost all manufacturers stopped fitting them as standard way back in the Seventies.

Of the top of my head I can only think of the likes of BMW and MZ still fitting them back then. I had a MZ ETZ 300 that I toured East Germany on in the Eighties that was fitted with rubber fork gaiters that still developed a weeping fork seal on one fork leg, just from the pounding on uneven concrete slabs 1930’s autobahns. So really they don't do much at all.

In fact I've never seen a single photo of a members Silver Wing fitted with a set of fork gaiters in all my eight and a half years on this forum.

Rather than faff around sourcing rubber gaiters, clips and doing whatever you have to do to fit them to the fork legs. You could spend a few minutes looking for fork leg protectors on eBay, and a couple of quid buying a set.

They are just two simple wide flat plastic open rings with a 2" raised frontal area that shields that bit of open fork leg. They're easily secured round the fork leg in a couple of minutes using cable/zip ties.

I'm still using the same pair I originally had on my 650 Burgman, then I used them for eight years on my Silver Wing, they're now on the 2018-19 Forza I bought last year.

A pair of those, and an annual spray of rubber lubricant are you need to protect fork legs and fork seals.

No doubt someone in future will be telling Kev to fit HyperPro fork springs if he mentions he's been on a bumpy road.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 12:33 pm

Hahahaha thank's Meldrew, I forgot to say Iv'e ordered a pair of " HyperPro Fork Springs earlier........
Nah I didn't Laughing   I will certainly have a look on Fleabay "Fork Leg Protectors", thank you mate Wink

Kev
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Meldrew said--- It's all right saying buy a pair of fork gaiters, but who really wants all the hassle associated with fitting a pair? They aren't really necessary as almost all manufacturers stopped fitting them as standard way back in the Seventies. <<>> the pair I use simply wrap around the shock, fasten with the Velcro strip, EZ on and off, stay in place and protects the shock and prevent dirt getting into the shock seal.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 2:00 pm

oldwingguy Thanks, trying to find them on ebay but all I keep getting come up is.......

Ebay

So I must be typing something wrong in the search Shocked
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 2:14 pm

I think what oldwingguy is describing is something along the lines of .....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132627904091?ul_noapp=true
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks Bern, I just could not find the b**dy things, now i can sort out some Wink
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 4:18 pm

If you are planning to service the front forks, then it shouldn't be too hard to install the non-sliced rubber boots over each fork. My 2¢
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) Img_2022
Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) Img_2021
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks Easyrider appreciate that Wink

Last edited by GoonerKev on Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 8:43 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Schampa-DSFRKSEAL11-1-Black-Size-Skins/dp/B00230B6EE/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=77721793903564&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=dirt+skins&qid=1556325405&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Or just go to Amazon and enter Dirt Skins
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2019 1:50 am

Thanks Oldwingguy Wink
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2019 10:26 am

Old Limey wrote:
As you are in the UK you do not need half of the stuff mentioned, maybe they do in the USA , but ,both Meldrew and I have had Silver wings for over ten years. Meldrew has taken his Silver wing over to mainland Europe on a yearly basis and covered many miles.I ride almost daily and average ten thousand miles a year. I fitted an Airflow screen, Dr Pulley sliders, and made the "Butt rest" into a backrest. You do not need springs, covers or whistles and bells. Just enjoy the bike for what it is. Service it as required, clean it when needed but most importantly ride it!

I will agree there is a lot we could do without BUT like the Skins, protecting those shock tubes is one thing I always tried to do, my Givi screen came with the bike, did convert the butt to back rest, other than that this is the most stock bike I've ever had. I've seen bikes that had more add on stuff then one could imagine but never have I said they don't need that, heck they don't need a bike either there's always an alternative AND always another choice, and that's what it's about choice.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 3:30 pm

I make my own fork protectors cutting a Folgers plastic coffee can 2" wide and 3" high ,round out the top and fasten with wire ties to fork leg at the fat part(below fork seal).
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 3:40 pm

And saved money too Wink
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 3:43 pm

AldusFran wrote:
I make my own fork protectors cutting a Folgers plastic coffee can 2" wide and 3" high ,round out the top and fasten with wire ties to fork leg at the fat part(below fork seal).

But your diy fork protectors do not compress with each bump in the road?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 5:20 pm

Isn't this all too familiar, a bloke buys a Silver Wing a scooter that's been around nearly 20 years, joins forum and spends a load of time reading topics about various bits and pieces that he thinks he needs all this stuff to tart the old girl up and really doesn't Likes the novelty of posting and getting replies from other blokes on this side of the Atlantic.

In reality the Silver Wing needs little more than a replacement for that rubbish OE screen, and a Givi rack and a decent sized top box to carry your stuff around or store your helmet. The rest of it is like I've said on here many times, old men with too much time and money on their hands 'farkling' for the sake of it.

It's complete rubbish saying fork protectors are necessary, and that stone chips damage fork legs etc. If they were that damaging, everyome's Silver Wings frontal bodywork would also be pockmarked and shot blasted with stone chips on a daily basis. The main cause of damage to fork legs and seals is rust spots on the fork legs that eventually tear the fork seals.

What causes the rust, owner neglect.  Lazyowners not cleaning their scooters properly to wash off the corrosive effect of road salt when riding on wet or damp roads in winter. Since the finish on modern Honda's is light years ahead of the finish on Honda's in the heyday of the UJM, almost all salt corrosion is preventable by a quick wash and hose down.

Also take into account the simple fact that there's this 6 month 'riding season' and lots of Silver Wing owners don't ride in the rain during the riding  season, and then  cocooned in garages during the winter months off the road, there isn't really case for fitting fork protectors at all.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)   Fork leg protectors (Gaiters) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fork leg protectors (Gaiters)
Page 1 of 1