Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 8:07 am

» Hi there guys
Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 6:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 6:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Who said no one was taking long trips

Go down 
+3
Mech 1 twa
dencart2
oldwingguy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Who said no one was taking long trips Empty
PostSubject: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

Why just yesterday I stopped at the Lord Dunmore memorial while taking my first long ride yesterday, interesting information to be had there. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 10:13 am

Where is this located?
Back to top Go down
http://denniscarter.net/Trips
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 7:05 pm

I often ride 275-350 days only day tripping though. Have some vacation planned a good 4 day ride 1k or more depends on weather. I'm only a weekend rider 4th season on SW 19.5 k and climbing. Now if only my rear tires would last longer I'd be happy.
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2019 7:17 am

You are fortunate to get to ride so much. Just want to say also that I love the cloud in you user profile pic. awesome vision.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2019 8:54 am

dencart2 wrote:
Where is this located?

Dunmore Memorial, just west of rt. 180 on rt 56 N. side of the road, good pull off there.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2019 7:02 pm

dencart2 wrote:
You are fortunate to get to ride so much. Just want to say also that I love the cloud in you user profile pic. awesome vision.

I'm glad you like that photo. Took it in PA. not to far from home. Back road in middle of nowhere just stopped to water the corn field and there it was. Could be better wires in the way. Catawissa PA. I'll never see that again.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 10:20 am

How do you define a long trip ? I’m currently in Reims in France and probably only two hundred and fifty road miles plus the distance of the North Sea ferry crossing from my home. I chose here because I didn't want to do another long autobahn plod into Germany, distance wise it's not a lot, and that's fine with me. It was also fun riding here on the Forza, the smallest cc maxi scooter I've ridden over here since my Helix years back in the early Noughties.

But I'm now riding on the right side of the road instead of the left, going into roundabouts on the right, distances are in kilometres instead of miles, the language was Dutch in Belgium and it's obviously French now, and the currency in both countries is the Euro.

Plus clothing and shoe sizes are different, electrical sockets are different, and amongst the dozens of other cultural differences I'm buying lots of bottled water to drink.

So while I haven't travelled that far in distance, culture wise it's very different. In USA terms I'd might still be in my home state, and the only things that would change would be the the names of burger franchises I rode past, and the amount of Sales Tax when I went out of state.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 11:38 am

long trips for me are like TN to AK, or Quebec-----I ride everyday, regardless of weather, using bike/scooter for all my errands/shopping. Using bike/scooter for everything is fun.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
dencart2 wrote:

I'm glad you like that photo. Took it in PA. not to far from home. Back road in middle of nowhere just stopped to water the corn field and there it was. Could be better wires in the way. Catawissa PA.       I'll never see that again.  

Mech 1, good thing you didn't hit the wires while watering the corn field. Would have been a lightning strike photo, among other fireworks. Re-discovering electricity. affraid
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 6:23 pm

Meldrew 250 a day is a good ride.  Repeated days can get tiring and sightseeing is great.   New places and new roads are the best trips.    Enjoy

Bikehiker I was down your way on Sunday 81 across river to Carlisle 34 south Michaux State Forest 233 down to 30 Chambersburg. Nice ride.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 7:30 pm

"In USA terms I'd might still be in my home state, and the only things that would change would be the the names of burger franchises I rode past"

I'm sure there are other examples in our vast, diverse union, but as a native New York stater I know that distance could also take you from the canyons of Manhattan up to Lake Placid in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks, with mainstream burger joints a rarity in both places.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 8:50 am

Last Fri---I lost my lust for planned overnite 2 day trip for Sun/Mon---it is just too hot here. Made my decision after riding most of the day running errands, etc in 95-100 degree F temps, really just not fun.....and I am not really a big fan of the US south anyway.   Instead spent some garage time monkeying with windshield and Laminar Lip on my Kymco XTown 300i ABS---it is my 11th new maxiscooter since 1990 and suffers from the same problem the rest do---your nose is too far from tip of shield.   SilverWing with Givi adjustable shield is tolerable......and there is no way I will look thru the windshield on a two wheeler.....look over, it is nice to see what you may hit!  Look thru I see no way to ride in rain/snow/dirt storms/fog, etc.  I realize many here do not ride in adverse conditions.  

On Mildrew in France.   I love riding in Europe, in the 50's there were the border crossings/ money exchange/different insurance requirments, etc etc.....but it was fun and interesting.  EU has fixed some of the difficulties like border crossing/money/ today credit cards can be handy.  But the riding is always fun and can be very interesting.   Riders are skilled and fast....not like in the US with the cup holder crowd with white tennis shoes, etc.  They can be real road blocks!

Stopped in Suzuki shop in Dalton GA---Salesman told me Burgman 650 is no longer in production.
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 3:16 pm

That is GREAT. You are correct here in USA if I go 250 miles and cross on a ferry I have taken the long way around to get to Kentucky and the culture and stores and almost all identical. You are indeed fortunate.

Isn't there a way to travel cross country in Germany, without using the autobahn? I am able to travel cross country in US without using the interstates. It does, in most cases
, add additional to journey, but much more pleasant scenery and pace.

Keep on scooting.

den

Meldrew wrote:
How do you define a long trip ? I’m currently in Reims in France and probably only two hundred and fifty road miles plus the distance of the North Sea ferry crossing from my home. I chose here because I didn't want to do another long autobahn plod into Germany, distance wise it's not a lot, and that's fine with me. It was also fun riding here on the Forza, the smallest cc maxi scooter I've ridden over here since my Helix years back in the early Noughties.

But I'm now riding on the right side of the road instead of the left, going into roundabouts on the right, distances are in kilometres instead of miles, the language was Dutch in Belgium and it's obviously French now, and the currency in both countries is the Euro.

Plus clothing and shoe sizes are different, electrical sockets are different, and amongst the dozens of other cultural differences I'm buying lots of bottled water to drink.

So while I haven't travelled that far in distance, culture wise it's very different. In USA terms I'd might still be in my home state, and the only things that would change would be the the names of burger franchises I rode past, and the amount of Sales Tax when I went out of state.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 3:41 pm

Germany, there are plenty of small back roads, are there are in France, Switzerland and the rest of Europe, all fun to ride on and sometimes slow going. People there also tend to ride year around and in all weathers...few trailer bikers, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who said no one was taking long trips   Who said no one was taking long trips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who said no one was taking long trips
Page 1 of 1