Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New to scooters trying to decide which one

Go down 
+8
Mech 1 twa
dekare
gg194
GHM-PM
john grinsel
joebillybobinark
Scootypuff Snr
Ger42
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Ger42
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2018-10-14

New to scooters trying to decide which one Empty
PostSubject: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 4:48 pm

I just sold a Kawasaki Vulcan because the arthritis in my left hand made managing the clutch a safety issue.
I have looked at a 2009 T=Max , new Burgman 400 and a 2009 Silver Wing. Also thinking about a Honda CTX700 DCt.
Joined this site to find out any issues with a Silver Wing that I need to be aware of before buying one.
Found a 2012 Silver Wing 18,000 miles at a good price but it's 175 miles away. So it's pay and ship.
Wife wants me to get a car and forget about a bike or scooter. I am 76 retired and we have only one car. My get around vehicle is a bicycle.

Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Welcome Ger42,

Using the search button I think you'll find very little issues to worry about with the Silverwing and if your trying to appease the wife as well a bargain bike is always a good sweetener.

I think it will best suit you as well if you liked the Vulcan ride position.

The T max is a sport scooter though if that is your leaning.

As for the CTX 700 the DCT is a great bit of kit but the 750 with 3 modes (not available stateside) makes the whole package a lot better so unless your getting a steal id avoid it and wait for the updated package.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 am

I owned a '14 ctx700 DCT and couldn't wait to trade it on a second silverwing.  I found the downshifting was terrible to the point I needed new brakes at 14k miles.   at that same point the chain needed to be replaced despite the sprockets being just fine.
The real deal breaker for me was the combination of leg over center bar and the most gawdawful uncomfortable seat.  

the silverwing seat isn't the greatest so I dropped some coin for a corbin.  decided if I was gonna buy a new seat the center bar sealed the deal.

DCT upshifted just fine, both in the Sport mode and the Drive mode.  wasn't very often that I used the manual mode (paddle shifter on the left handlebar)

I bought the DCT because a few riding friends laughed at a scooter for touring.  the 600cc silverwing is a two cylinder (as opposed to the Tmax/burgman 400 single cylinder).  have my s'wing dressed out nicely with Givi 40ltr saddlebags and a 58ltr topbox.  They aren't laughing any longer after a friend put her at 90mph.  I can stay with the BMW GS's all day long.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am

I assume you already have a MC endorsement on your lic. At 76 (I am 79) you need to think about weight of bike/scooter you want to buy/use.

For me any cruiser type is out....uncomfortable riding position, lack of on board strorage space, no centerstand. SilverWing fine, no history of trouble.....but no longer current model and heavy.

Depending on needs, small light scooter fun---Honda PCX, Kymco Like 200. Kymco nice price. I use bike/scooter for my transport/fun needs and have so since 1955----For 80ith birthday wife wanted to buy me new Miata(already had 2 of them) I bought new Mitsuibishi Mirage, that stands by in Garage. Just took it on trip....I prefer bike/scooter for trips...as they can be fun.

New Burgman nice and current model. 2018 revision as I recall. I have had T MAX....no longer available in US---I had a new one, if you cannot fix/take care of your self,, can be expensive to own.

As old fart, I think scooters are fine---right riding gear still needed though. Good luck.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 8:19 am

I agree with most of the posts above. I had a friend sell his Silver Wing and buy a CTX700 DCT. Overall he had questionable luck with it. He liked the bigger wheels and the look and styling but hated the chain maintenance. In addition it ate rear tires with a passion, by that I mean poor wear and an affinity for picking up every nail, spike etc. in the road. he finally traded it for a Burgman 400 and seems much happier. My only caveat with the Wing is weight. I believe it weighs in around 550 lbs., so bear that in mind. It doesn't seem that heavy when moving though and I love mine which I bought new in 2012.
Back to top Go down
gg194
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Bought a Silverwing about three weeks ago and so far like it very much. Have had two Honda Reflex's in the past and they were really good scooters. The Silverwing is just cruising where the smaller scooters were getting stretched out. Really smooth at 65mph.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 6:18 pm

john grinsel wrote:
For 80ith birthday wife wanted to buy me new Miata(already had 2 of them) I bought new Mitsuibishi Mirage, that stands by in Garage.  

Oh, aren't we abused! Wink
Back to top Go down
Ger42
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 9:03 pm

I have a quote on a 2012 Silver Wing ABS $4,600 includes tax and title. It has 17,000 miles and is 150 miles away so I will be buying it untouched by me. I will require a video of it being started then ridden before I buy it. How do I check to see if the belt or running gear need work?

I rode a number of years while living in upstate NY. Mu last ride was a 1998 Harley Road Glide. The weight of the Silver Wing don't bother me I have been working out 3-4 days a week at Orange Theory Fitness since Oct 2012. My doctor says I am in better shape them most of his 40 yr old patients.
Still working on the wife.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 9:12 pm

SW is a good scooter-bike. Not a lot of problems but like anything else some do some don't.
What do you want? SW can be a all day ride or just a cruise around bike. It's heavy for a scooter but can cruise on the highway all day also with no issues.

175 miles have the wife drop you off and ride it home. I would never buy anything before a good look-see first.

Honda DTC has been improving over the years but I never road one so I can't say so or not.
At least on SW one can move feet around not not locked into one position.
Back to top Go down
Ger42
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
SW is a good scooter-bike. Not a lot of problems but like anything else some do some don't.
What do you want? SW can be a all day ride or just a cruise around bike.  It's heavy for a scooter but can cruise on the highway all day also with no issues.

175 miles have the wife drop you off and ride it home. I would never buy anything before a good look-see first.

Honda DTC has been improving over the years but I never road one so I can't say so or not.
At least on SW one can move feet around not not locked into one position.

I want an around the town bike that would feel at home on the highway.

If I wait for the wife to drive me my funeral procession will be at it's end before she agrees. She hates highways and the only way there in less then 4 hrs is Interstate 95. In South Florida it is manic haven.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 pm

Take a bus. Ride home....if bike is right or in good condition. Blind buy=dangerous.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 am

The $4,600 price seems on the high end. Does the seller have maintenance records? Tires and belt should have been replaced. Will cost at least $600 if done at a dealership, $300 if you do it yourself. May need oil change for engine and transmission, flushing the brake and antifreeze fluids. The costs add up fast especially if you take it to a dealership. Hopefully the seller has current maintenance records. Pull the oil dipstick, the oil should be clean if recently changed. Smell the oil for burnt smells. Check the tire manufacture date, and check for sidewall cracks. Also check the tire tread wear indicator. Tire should not be older than five years. Many of the items I touched on can be found be using the search function on this forum.

Before riding it home, check the tire air pressure. Should be around 29/33.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 8:45 am

Being the devils advocate here.

There are no known issues with the Silverwing except for the above mentioned normal maintenance items. However, bear in mind that the Silverwing is a touring class maxi scooter. If all you're expecting to use it for is for putting round town, shopping etc with the occasional high speed Interstate jaunt, then you might be well served by a smaller maxi scoot. Honda Forza 300, Burgman 400 and a trusty old Yamaha Majesty 400 are smaller & lighter weight than a Silverwing (@ 515 lbs), have ample storage, get better fuel economy, and are fully capable of maintaining freeway speeds for hours on end.

Tim
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 11:53 am

I wouldn't be putting down $4000.00 or so without thoroughly examining the goods: hands on. There are some items you cannot check without taking the tupperware and hard bits off, and you may have to take the owner's word for the maintenance they may claim to have done. However, looking you in the eye and telling a blatant lie takes a real devious person to pull it off successfully. A video is too easy to fudge; and face to face bargaining may just get you a few hundred bucks.
Good luck .

Jay.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Check this Burgman out in Florida. Slight scratches on left side in pic, but low mileage and less than the SWing:

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/d/2012-suzuki-burgman-400/6688823455.html
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2018 8:20 pm

I love trolling Craigslist from time to time. I always liked dual front disc brakes on Burgman but no such luck on SW. Low miles looks nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to scooters trying to decide which one   New to scooters trying to decide which one I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to scooters trying to decide which one
Page 1 of 1