Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

seat latch worn

Go down 
+4
steve_h80
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
winged warrior
8 posters
AuthorMessage
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 3:06 am

Hello Scooter Friends, I have a seat lock that does not lock anymore, it clicks part way, but you can pull up the seat anytime, no matter how hard you try to push the back of the seat in. Have put a lot of WD40 in. The spring is securely in place. Is there anything I can do? (2009 SW) - the metal U is worn at the bottom a little, I feel like it does not go far enough in.

Winged Warrior
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 8:50 am

There are two latches. Could either or both of those latches have accidently been "set" which would cause the seat to not close completely?

IIRC the rear U is adjustable and removeable. You might try removing that U to use as a test tool on those latch mechanism to insure that they function correctly. Once you insure that the latch mechanism function correctly you may find that you'll need to add a spacer to the U mount so that it mates with the latch correctly when the seat is closed.

The forward U is not removeable or adjustable.

You might also check the FSM to see if those latch assemblies are adjustable. Could be that an assembly mount bolt has loosened or been lost and the mechanism has been knocked out of position which is causing the problem.

Please let us know how you get on with this problem. We all benefit from shared information.

Tim
Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks CJ, I took off the rear U (had to gingerly remove staples and manoeuvre anchor out of the foam and plastic) - the metal hook that turns into the u piece to lock it had snapped.  So while it will lock closed - any pressure will snap it back as the piece is broken.

I'm pretty sure it broke from too much pressure cramming things under the seat over the years because I treat my SW like a car.  The good news is a new latch will cost considerably less than a car.

Could anyone please tell me the part # for the female rear seat latch piece? (SW 2009)
WW
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 9:18 am

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/scooter/2009/fsc600d-ac-silver-wing/seat
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 9:35 am

According to the FSM you should grease the seat latch mechanism but who does. After reading this topic I went and looked at mine and poked a finger into the dark depths, I could feel the mechanism and spring, and there was a smear of grease on my fingertip when I withdrew it.

Having a handy tube of grease on the shelf nearby, I squeezed a small blob on my fingertip in best gynaecologist fashion, and smeared on the latch innards. Worked the key a few times, and themclosed the seat, job done.

It's taken me more time to type this post with my freshly cleaned index finger than it did to inspect and grease that latch mechanism.
Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 10:05 am

Thank you all, I will let you know how the repair goes (: In the meantime, I'm hoping someone will steal my really smelly motorcycle gloves so I can by new.

WW
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 3:28 pm

Leave the gloves on the seat, someone will steal them for you.
For added pleasure urinate in them and allow to dry first, it will give you a warm glow everytime you think of the thief putting them on.
Errr, it might be a good idea to buy a new pair first.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 am

Meldrew wrote:
According to the FSM you should grease the seat latch mechanism but who does. After reading this topic I went and looked at mine and poked a finger into the dark depths, I could feel the mechanism and spring, and there was a smear of grease on my fingertip when I withdrew it.

Having a handy tube of grease on the shelf nearby, I squeezed a small blob on my fingertip in best gynaecologist fashion, and smeared on the latch innards. Worked the key a few times, and themclosed the seat, job done.

It's taken me more time to type this post with my freshly cleaned index finger than it did to inspect and grease that latch mechanism.

ROFL. Those greasy fingers aren't very good for typing. Slip from key to9 key and have to keep backspacing. Then have to clean off the keyboard after is a bummer...
Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 11:25 am

The new latch came in the mail and I took off the spoiler back and unclipped the sides - there were two cables and an electronic piece, I marked the cable closest to the spring with white chalk then set about changing the new pieces one at a time onto the new latch. The old and new latch looked surprisingly the same (there was no snapped metal) - but much to my surprise when I screwed everything back in and closed the seat their was a satisfying snap and the seat stayed locked! I have concluded the metal was worn down. The new latch came prelubed but I added a dollop more of lube so this won't happen again in another 94 000 km(:

When I was all done, I went to close the gate where I had been working on the bike and I heard a mighty crash. My bike had fallen over (it was on a weird angle or I got off too quickly and didn't make sure that the kick stand had stettled). This made me feel bad after I had spent a couple hours fixing and cleaning the bike - the brake lever has an artistic curve to it and some scratches on some of the body, the seat was open and all the contents spilled out onto the road and sidewalk. This is the second time I've dropped my bike in 9 years and am reevaluating my life goals and ambitions.

Thank you all (despite the fall) for your support and encouragement for this project
Kevin

Last edited by winged warrior on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Sorry to hear that your bike fell over. If the scratches are not too deep, try using the Ultimate polishing compound by Meggarts(sp). It works wonders on minor scratches. If your seat was locked, the items shouldn't have fallen out when your bike fell to it's side. Good luck and ride safe!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 pm

I did almost the same thing in my garage Kevin.

I got off the SWing without putting the stand down. Luckily it fell over onto my workbench with no damage at all. It only fell over at about a 45 degree angle so it wasn't hard to pick back up. I did look around out of my open garage door to make sure nobody was watching and laughing...

It sucks getting OLD...
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 am

Mine is now a trike no more fall down and go boom. LOL
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Trikes certainly solve a lot of problems in the falling over department !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

seat latch worn Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat latch worn   seat latch worn I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

seat latch worn
Page 1 of 1