Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

200 Motorcycles and three scooters

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

200 Motorcycles and three scooters Empty
PostSubject: 200 Motorcycles and three scooters   200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 5:34 pm

I did this annual ride today.  A beautiful day to ride 100 miles through south central PA twisties and hillocks all around the Hershey, PA area.  This ride supports the PA State Police Museum and retired state policemen.  Present were about 200 motorcycles and three scooters: two Burgmans and my Silver Wing. The motorcycles consisted of some Harleys, Hondas, Harleys, Yamahas, Harleys, BMWs, Harleys, Suzukis, Harleys, Kawasakis, and some Harleys.  I warned the MC riders around me to hold their ears when I started my Swing up.  

But the fun of it all was while navigating those hills and twisties, I would hear so much downshifting and upshifting all around me.  But all I needed to do was twist.  And at the stop sign turns and red light turns (all of which we rode through at the sufferance of all patient and impatient car traffic waiting for us) was so easy on the Swing.

A throttle lock or cruise control doesn't help much on a ride of this type, so  I think all right throttle hands were kind of tired by the end of the ride.  But I know three scooter riders whose left clutch hand and shift lever foot suffered no cramps or soreness at the end of the ride.

Doing this ride for the first time on the Swing was so different and so much more comfortable compared to past rides on a motorcycle.  The Swing served really well.

All in all, a great day to run so many stop signs and red lights!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: 200 Motorcycles and three scooters   200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 6:17 pm

Glad you had a good time. ALL for a good cause.. Weather was nice a little foggy in AM.. 72 PM.
Raining now temps. have dropped.

I really don't enjoy that kind of ride. I've done 2-3 large group rides in the past. Not my cup of tea.
I call them rolling road blocks. Other road users get angry waiting.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: 200 Motorcycles and three scooters   200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 7:43 pm

You're right. It was foggy in the am. Was a tentative, low visibility ride on the way to the event.

Yes, while I enjoyed running red lights, I felt sorry for the car drivers, having to wait for the miles-long riders passing through. Maybe upset their Saturday a little.

Although the ride ended up great, it's a relief to get on the road home at your own speed. If you even ride in a "group" of two and you are not the leader, you suffer the pulls and jerks that are the whims of the leader, which lessens the pleasure a little. One compensation is the camaraderie and discussions with the different riders and different bikes.

Depending on how far back you are in the line, there is an increased noticeable pungency from more MC fumes. I was about halfway back and really ingested a lot of high emission fumes today. So why do we do this? Maybe to get off the couch.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: 200 Motorcycles and three scooters   200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 9:20 pm

I was down your way last Sunday on FJR. Almost to Chambersburg . RT. 30 Nice ride 282 miles.
Rode through Pine Grove Furnace as you suggested. I've been there once back tracked a little and went to Shippensburg.

Have you been north a little? Little Buffalo State Park? Good roads . Pa. has great roads.

Park?
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: 200 Motorcycles and three scooters   200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 10:14 pm

Last October, I took a bicycle camping ride (3 days, two nights) to Caledonia State Park, then toward Pine Grove Furnace State Park, then on the Cumberland Valley Rail Trail from Shippensburg, on to Col. Denning State Park. Intended to visit Little Buffalo State Park, but my old bones/muscles were too tired, so I fizzled out and rode home.

Yes, that's great country. Go outside the towns in central PA and you will find some nice roads. Our higher gas tax has at least helped to refurbish some great country roads in PA. Also, North of Rt 80 has a lot of great wilderness, only pock marked by the intense fracking in recent years. Get close to the NY border and start smelling crude oil. That upper tier of PA is really good riding (along Rt. 6, too), but it sometimes smells like a 1950s gas station when we were a little careless in spilling our oil.

Route 44 is a great ride, and Rt. 321 along the Allegheny National Forest is a lesser used road. When I went on it I saw maybe 3-4 vehicles the whole way up. Lots of green still left in upper PA, connected to some surprisingly good roads. Lots of state parks to visit, camp, day-picnic.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: 200 Motorcycles and three scooters   200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2018 5:49 pm

I see you've a few places then. I've ridden most of those places also.
Its much harder on a bicycle though many hills. Never been to Pittsburg or Eire but close. Ridden almost all of RT 6 except far west end.

Worlds end ST.park is nice. Rickets glen has a nice series of waterfalls to hike. Come up the RIVER RT 220 will get you close.

Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: 200 Motorcycles and three scooters   200 Motorcycles and three scooters I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Yes, Worlds End is a nice park. I stayed at a cabin there. Some nice roads; hills and flats. One hiking trail has a real steep, rocky, challenging climb, but the other trails are good.

The Rickets Glen trail is best visited about this time of year when more water spills over the many picturesque falls. There is a nice 90-footer up there. Be careful; some places on the trail have little protection from a precipitous fall. My last visit, I used hiking poles for safety; these old legs may not be as dependable. Cut out 4 to 6 hours if you do the whole circle around the falls.
Maybe like me, that trail keeps calling you back.
Back to top Go down

200 Motorcycles and three scooters
Page 1 of 1