Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 2:56 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Acceptable age for new tires

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Acceptable age for new tires Empty
PostSubject: Acceptable age for new tires   Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Just purchased a new set of IRC tires from my Honda dealer. He could not say when the tires he ordered were manufactured. My question is what would be an acceptable age for my new tires? My guess is nothing older than 2017. What do the rest of you rider think?

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Acceptable age for new tires   Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Look on side of tire, day and week and year there. If you ride lots of miles and change tires at least once a year---up to 4 years old might work. Don't ride a lot and the tires will be on bike awhile....for me 2017 fine or maybe last weeks of 2016
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Acceptable age for new tires   Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Dealer should know better. Tires have a date code in the sidewall.  Its going to show week-year.
Example 26-17  26 week of 2017.   It will only be on one side of tire.  Its not hard to find molded into side.

Some say anything older than 5 years is to old. I'd say 3 at most. I have one to be mounted 52-15 that's almost 2.5 years.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Acceptable age for new tires   Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Dealer should know better. Tires have a date code in the sidewall.  Its going to show week-year.
Example 26-17  26 week of 2017.   It will only be on one side of tire.  Its not hard to find molded into side.

Some say anything older than 5 years is to old. I'd say 3 at most.  I have one to be mounted 52-15 that's almost 2.5 years.

Thank you. I do know how to read the code. Just wanted to know what is acceptable. Dealer had to order the tires and could not tell me what date the tires were manufactured. Dealer like me will have to wait for the tires to arrive.
Just got a call from the dealer and my tires are in. I will pick them up tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Acceptable age for new tires   Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Sorry I missed the "dealer didn"t know part " Tires can last a long time just depends on use and storage conditions. Cracks and dry rot not good. Rubber tends to harden with age less grip.

I see your new tires are in from other post. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Acceptable age for new tires   Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 12:10 am

Just picked up my tires from the Honda dealer. Checked the date code and all is good. Front tire is the 23 week of 2017. The rear tire is the second week of 2018. Huray! I got them in a cool storage. Thanks for all the responses!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Acceptable age for new tires   Acceptable age for new tires I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Acceptable age for new tires
Page 1 of 1