Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Route 66 on a Silverwing

Go down 
+4
Jolly Bodger
lloyd193
john grinsel
carolina wing rider
8 posters
AuthorMessage
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Route 66 on a Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 9:48 am

I've been considering a bike ride on some part or possibly all of Route 66 in the near future. Has anyone done this and if so can you offer any advice whether it be positive or negative?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 10:08 am

Recently, trip to CA, touched parts of 66----not in good condition, what motels left on the original route are cheap...I used them.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 11:32 am

carolina wing rider wrote:
I've been considering a bike ride on some part or possibly all of Route 66 in the near future. Has anyone done this and if so can you offer any advice whether it be positive or negative?

Hi Terry,

Route 66 is all but destroyed, Ninety percent of the road is gone, Replaced with Back roads, Detours and Interstate Access roads. I was terribly disappointed the last time I rode up to Oklahoma and saw what was left of 66. Having seen that wonderful road in it's prime.

The thousands of Restaurants, Gas stations, Stores, Motels, Brothels and the neighborhoods have all but disappeared.

Way back in the late 50's and the 60's when it was necessary for me to go to California twice a year I would frequently ride parts of 66 from Shreveport Louisiana to Anaheim California for the Speed Equipment manufactures shows.

This road is part of America's history and I would encourage everyone to see what is left of it, To visit the old Tourist Courts and the deserted towns, Shut down by Highway construction and the Interstate system.

To some of us old Timers, Many things that have happened in our Country are not for the Better.

I have a few of the rusty Route 66 signs hanging in my shop, These could be bought along the route and may still be available.

If you decide to ride 66, I hope your trip will be enjoyable and Memorable, Keep that gas tank at least half full.

Best regards
Lloyd
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Route 66   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 11:43 am

You are so lucky that you were able to see 66 in it's prime. It is sad to know most of it no longer exists. There is so much to see and so little time so I am going to make that ride (at least in part) a priority so I can at least see what is left. I have watched videos and viewed many photos but nothing can take the place of actually seeing places in person. Thank you for your time and advice.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 2:50 pm

I've often considered a road trip on route 66.
My thoughts run along the lines of buying a Silverwing at one end and selling it at the other. Only a thought, I've never researched the feasability. The risk would be buying a lemon and/or not being able to unload it at the end.
JB
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Jolly Bodger wrote:
I've often considered a road trip on route 66.
My thoughts run along the lines of buying a Silverwing at one end and selling it at the other. Only a thought, I've never researched the feasability. The risk would be buying a lemon and/or not being able to unload it at the end.
JB

Did you see the TV series where Billy Connolly rode it on a trike ?

If you have some 'time to spare' the complete series is here >>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dtFnM2wYvk
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 3:37 pm

You are so lucky that you were able to see 66 in it's prime. It is sad to know most of it no longer exists.

Most of it hasn't existed for quite some time bud, motoring is it's own worst enemy, with ever increasing numbers of vehicles on the road & people wanting to drive/ride from place to place in the shortest possible time, old roads will inevitably give way to more modern routes, less 'character' but far more efficient.
You have route 66, over here parts of the M25 are built on closed local railway tracks, it's progress apparently.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Route 66   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 3:59 pm

I'm afraid you are right. I guess older farts like me seem to want to remember things as they used to be. Nostalgia may be silly to some folks...especially the younger ones and as you said progress will not be stopped. I guess my generation narrowly missed out on 66. I can remember when Triumphs and BSAs along with Harley Sportsters were king of the tracks and the roads and then in 1969 the advent of the iconic Honda CB750 changed everything. From that point on motorcycles started changing at a furious pace. I loved my Triumphs and regret never keeping one of them but I was just poor enough that I had to trade or sell one to get another. Oh well......sorry about the rambling.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Mrs M and myself drove along what's left of Route 66 in 2013, and the only places I can remember are Williams, and Winslow.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: 66   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Meldrew can you remember what you would consider your "favorite" ride in the US? I realize narrowing it down to one may not be easy since we have much to see here but I am curious.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 5:06 pm

I haven't got one, I lost all interest in wanting to do a US motorcycle/maxi scooter tour years ago. This was after following endless slow moving RV's in a hire car through Mount Rainer National Park in Washington State on the way to Portland, Oregon.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 6:18 pm

I guess older farts like me seem to want to remember things as they used to be. Nostalgia may be silly to some folks...especially the younger ones

Ahhh, but I'm older than you bud, nostalgia has it's place, no doubt about it, I also had Triumph's but would I buy another on the strength of my memories ? nah I would'nt, they were great back in the day but I like knowing that when I go to my bike it will start 999 out of 1000 times. I mentioned the M25 (aka the Greater London carpark) which was built to relieve (in part) the traffic on the A25, for a long time the A25 has been a 2 to 4 lane road, but when I was a boy it was in parts a single lane width, in which if two cars met they could pass (just) but if a car & a lorry/coach met one would have to reverse to a passing place, given that the A25 was at that time the main road it was an untenable situation going forward
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: 66   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 8:28 am

Thank all of you for your thoughts and advice. It is truly a pleasure to be able to come to this site and communicate with others that love their bikes and love to ride them..........and best of all...........enjoy talking about it all. Keep being who you are.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 am

Meldrew wrote:
Mrs M and myself drove along what's left of Route 66 in 2013, and the only places I can remember are Williams, and Winslow.

Both those places mentioned are in Arizona, which coincidentally has the most intact pieces of Route 66 left anymore. You can still plan a trip on 66 but it takes some serious planning and you will not be on 66 at all times. I have ridden on quite a bit of what's left in CA, Arizona and New Mexico...

My Silver Wing even has a license plate frame that says "Route 66 the Mother Road"
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: 66   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am

Thank you Glenn for your knowledge and advice. Having someone living in Arizona is a valuable asset.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Thank you Glenn for your knowledge and advice. Having someone living in Arizona is a valuable asset.

If you decide to do the run, I will be happy to accompany you on part of it! Word of advice though, this is a good ride for spring or fall not midsummer, ahem!!!
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: 66   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Thank you very much. It would be a pleasure riding with you. When I can work it out I will certainly contact you. Thanks again for the information and the great photos.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 on a Silverwing   Route 66 on a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Thank you very much. It would be a pleasure riding with you. When I can work it out I will certainly contact you. Thanks again for the information and the great photos.

I've sent you a couple PM's you may (or not) appreciate.
Back to top Go down

Route 66 on a Silverwing
Page 1 of 1