Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

GPS on Silverwing?

Go down 
+13
ItBeMe
bikehiker
Cosmic_Jumper
exavid
steve_h80
willajabir
Dale N.
GHM-PM
john grinsel
Meldrew
The Bern
pgnz
carolina wing rider
17 posters
AuthorMessage
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 1:07 am

I notice more and more GPS units on Silverwings as I look through the internet. I notice there is one on this forum's home page picture as well. After thinking about it a GPS does seem to be a good idea but I would like your opinions on the matter before I install one.
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 am

Nice idea, and I tried it, just to see how (in)accurate my speedo was, but decided I was much better off keeping my eyes on the road and let my brain do the navigating, my bum tells me roughly how fast I go so got rid of it pronto. Maybe OK for long straight roads, but if that is the case how come you don't know where you're going ? What next ? TV ?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 3:27 am

Like most accessories they have their place, when they are needed that is the variable. Due tomy location a lot of my pleasure riding takes me into Wales aka ... land of the unpronounceable place names, try asking a local the way to Machynlleth (it sounds nothing like it looks Wink) they are helpful if you need to take an unexpected diversion on a planned journey (road closure, accident, etc) last year I did a Sunrise to Sunset ride using 'local' roads (no motorways) so I set the end point of the ride & ignored it until about 20 miles from the destination, no matter how lost I was in my head the machine always knew where I should be heading.
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 4:18 am

I know the feeling, here we have towns with names like Ngaruawahia, and that is just for starters !!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 4:42 am

Do you actually need one? Lots of riders get along perfectly fine using the Google maps on their cell/mobile phone, with the phone mounted on the handlebars in some type of waterproof case.

Buying the basic Garmin or TomTom GPS/sat nav is only one part of it. The FSC Silver Wing hasn't got the handy 12v socket in the glovebox that the FJS has, so you need to sort that out.

Then there's where you mount the unit, a RAM ball mount on top of a brake reservoir is a popular choice, but those screws only take so much weight if you use a locking cradle and a long RAM arm.

Between the handlebars on a Dennis B type RAM ball mount is the other popular choice, but in bright sun the display can become invisible as the sun reflects of it.

Depending on your eyesight you also need the right size RAM arm to suit your vision, there's 2", 4", and 6" lengths and maybe a locking knob for it to prevent opportunist theft. I've never been happy using the OE mount for either TomTom or Garmin units and use a locking Touratech cradle for my Garmin Zūmo.

The hassle free way to use sat nav is to have audio instructions Bluetoothed to your helmet, and that includes installing a communicator set up to the helmet.

With the Schuberth E1 adventure flip up helmet I bought a few months ago, there's nothing external on the helmet com set like most set ups. Instead of the usual pressing buttons on a unit clamped on the left side of the helmet, I now have a handlebar mounted controller. On my Schuberth M1 open face, the unit is curved and plugs directly into the back of the helmet and works with the pre-installed helmet speakers.

I know some riders wear iPod type ear buds plugged into the sat nav with a lead, and I have no experience of that myself. I wear ear plugs solely to protect my hearing and get instructions through the speakers installed in my helmet.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 7:21 am

Easier to buy Rand McNally map book at WalMart @$7.95.   Mine has gotten me to Alaska, on bike or scooter, all over Canada, 48 states and Mexico.--Also great safety feature....you have to stop to look at it!   Much better addition to SilverWing---decent windshield, Givi adjustable seems to work best
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 7:24 am

I carry one on trips. I have the 12 volt installed in my left cubby so that is not an issue. Also I use a Dennis B mount and it works great. To be honest purchasing a $500 plus GPS for motorcycle use is not my thing, I use a 5 inch Garmin that was on a car but no longer needed. Works fine. I do not use my phone as 1) the screen is too small and 2) it cost way more than an extra GPS I already had... That said it seldom gets used...
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 8:37 am

I installed a Ram mount on one of the handlebar screws. I use it mainly for my MP3 player so I can have my tunes while riding. If I really need a GPS to figure out where I am or want to go I just use my cell phone. I pull over somewhere for a coffee break and figure out where I want to go. Mostly tho I don't use it because I've already figured out where I want to go and how to get there. Here's a couple of pics of my mount. I did have to put 5 or 6 washers under the head of the screw to keep the mount from cracking the tupperware when I tightened it down.
GPS on Silverwing? Mount111

GPS on Silverwing? Ram_mo10
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 9:59 am

I used the same Ram Mount as Dale N.
I use a Garmin for autos and use a sandwich bag when it rains.
I keep it on as a back up with the destination, but due to not following it's directions, it is always recalculating.
Good for finding fuel in out of the way places, detours, and POIs.
If I need more than a glance for speed or next turn, I'll pull over and zoom in or out right quick and be on my way without ever having to cut off the bike.
One other thing is to get a life time update GPS, then you can update it a week or 2 before a trip to have current roads.
While not useful to me on a bike, the traffic reporting has been nice when in the cage.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 10:18 am

john grinsel wrote:
Easier to buy Rand McNally map book at WalMart @$7.95.   Mine has gotten me to Alaska, on bike or scooter, all over Canada, 48 states and Mexico.--Also great safety feature....you have to stop to look at it!   Much better addition to SilverWing---decent windshield, Givi adjustable seems to work best

What's a cheapo and bulky map book got to do with using GPS/sat nav on a Silver Wing?

The micro SD card on my Garmin contains comprehensive maps and route planning information for most of the countries in Europe, including the Balkans and Baltic States. All I need is a zip/postcode or a street name. I have the location of nearby hotels, petrol/gas stations, pharmacies, restaurants, banks, hospitals, Police etc.

There's no frantically searching for fuel if I run low either, it can guide me directly to the nearest petrol/gas station.

I can also use it as a trip planner, calculator, unit converter, language guide, compass, world clock, and alarm clock. Use it for service history, to show where I've been, and it has a help function, and other apps I never use.

As it becomes dark the sat nav displays a subdued but very clear night screen, and automatically adjusts for brightness in sunlight.

So for the last 10 years or so that foot long pile of assorted maps on a bookshelf has been used for reference only, and making route cards which I used to enjoy would now be a chore.

Change the micro SD card that's smaller than my little fingernail, and I have full North America mapping, which has already been used in half a dozen US states.  

Updating the mapping software through a computer when prompted is straightforward too, maps just become outdated.

I'm not recommending anyone buys a sat nav, I was happy using paper maps and route cards for many years, but now I've got used to using one and have all the related junk to use it with both motorcycles and cars, I just know it works for me.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 3:43 pm

I've used sat navs, and they are useful in towns for finding places, but prefer to use maps.. I use an app called viewranger, it has all the maps downloaded so the only gps function is needed to know where I am. From that I sort my own route via anything of interest on the map.
It's free although you do pays for "walking scale" maps.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 pm

I still stand by---map book fine....adding junk to bike that may or may not work, just waste of time in my book.....and how are they in wet?
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 10:21 pm

john grinsel wrote:
adding junk to bike that may or may not work,

One man's junk (as john inferred and not current slang) is another man's treasure.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 pm

I used the two screws in the center of the handlebar cover to mount a bracket for my Magellan GPS on my first Silverwing. I prefer them to be mounted on the bike's center line because people have a tendency to steer toward the direction they're looking. It was a simple matter to wire a 12V outlet in the left cubby to power the unit.
I agree they aren't necessary but I do find GPS units to be a lot handier than maps. A center mount for your cell phone would work well took. In either case you can easily dismount the unit for security when parked or just take it with you when off the bike to use for finding restaurants, etc. These days I have my iPhone mount in center of the handlebars. I use a Bluetooth adapter on my helmet for listening to gps directions, receiving and making calls hands free and sometime just for listening to the music on my phone.
One thing I did add to my cell phone is a Garmin GPS app. It works even when there's no cell coverage in the area since it uses the GPS chip in the phone, not using info from cell towers. I really can't see any reason in not utilizing a cell phone GPS on a bike, very handy to have a pocket sized computer, calculator and translator with one when traveling. In the US it seems that any place you stop for a meal or whatever will have wireless available so you don't even use much of your data from your phone service provider.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 am

john grinsel wrote:
I still stand by---map book fine....adding junk to bike that may or may not work, just waste of time in my book.....and how are they in wet?

Lets see now, my sat nav works even in prolonged torrential rain. It's enclosed in a hardened weatherproof, shockproof case. The screen is fuel resistant too, The on/off button is sealed, the way the cable mates to the power port is sealed too, and the Micro SD card slot is on the base of the unit covered by a rubber flap that seals flush to the case.

En route all I need to do is take an occasional glance at the sat nav screen info in much the same way as l look at any other display. Important voice instructions are relayed to my helmet, usually a mile or so before I have to change direction or make a turn. Visual Lane Guidance also prevents confusion on multi lane highways.

How do you get on opening a map book up in the rain to look at it? You have to find the right page, memorise the information, and close the book and hope the pages don't stick together. Good luck getting your damp hands back into your gloves too.

Similarly a paper map unless it's laminated can only take so much folding, getting damp, or being scrunched up to fit in the clear pocket of a tank or tunnel bag.

My Garmin is about the size of a chunky cell/mobile phone, your map book will be bulkier and roughly the same dimensions as a 12" lap top computer. Are multiple pages of road maps of countries and states you're not travelling to essential to take on every trip?

With my sat nav I can stop and tap in adjustments or have it find a completely new route without getting off the seat. In fact I don't even have to remove my gloves with some pairs I own, as the tips are touch screen sensitive.

I can unlock my sat nav from it's holder, store it in it's zipped case and lock it away in the lockable glovebox pocket. Your map book will have to go in a pannier and top box with all your other stuff.

No one is twisting your arm to buy a motorcycle specific GPS/sat nav and you're unlikely to start now,  IMHO you're missing out.  Neutral
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 7:20 am

Meldrew wrote:
john grinsel wrote:
< snip >
How do you get on opening a map book up in the rain to look at it? You have to find the right page, memorise the information, and close the book and hope the pages don't stick together. Good luck getting your damp hands back into your gloves too.
< snip >

It's a gift... a lost skill. Kinda like John Wayne rolling a cigarette with one hand while riding high in the saddle.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

It's a gift... a lost skill. Kinda like John Wayne rolling a cigarette with one hand while riding high in the saddle.

Better known as movie magic or good editing......

Back to the GPS mount....It was mentioned above that it was preferred being center mounted when the offset was shown. Thing is, with the Ram Mount arm attached the GPS unit then sits in the center the same as with the bar.
You only see the difference when the GPS unit is removed. When it is mounted, they are both centered.
There are also optional longer Ram Mount arms to move the unit further back (closer) to you. The longer arm is more noticeable though, but gives you another option.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 4:27 pm

willajabir wrote:
I used the same Ram Mount as Dale N.
I use a Garmin for autos and use a sandwich bag when it rains.
I keep it on as a back up with the destination, but due to not following it's directions, it is always recalculating.
Good for finding fuel in out of the way places, detours, and POIs.
If I need more than a glance for speed or next turn, I'll pull over and zoom in or out right quick and be on my way without ever having to cut off the bike.
One other thing is to get a life time update GPS, then you can update it a week or 2 before a trip to have current roads.
While not useful to me on a bike, the traffic reporting has been nice when in the cage.

Ditto!
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 4:45 pm

exavid wrote:
I used the two screws in the center of the handlebar cover to mount a bracket for my Magellan GPS on my first Silverwing. I prefer them to be mounted on the bike's center line because people have a tendency to steer toward the direction they're looking. It was a simple matter to wire a 12V outlet in the left cubby to power the unit.
I agree they aren't necessary but I do find GPS units to be a lot handier than maps. A center mount for your cell phone would work well took. In either case you can easily dismount the unit for security when parked or just take it with you when off the bike to use for finding restaurants, etc. These days I have my iPhone mount in center of the handlebars. I use a Bluetooth adapter on my helmet for listening to gps directions, receiving and making calls hands free and sometime just for listening to the music on my phone.
One thing I did add to my cell phone is a Garmin GPS app. It works even when there's no cell coverage in the area since it uses the GPS chip in the phone, not using info from cell towers. I really can't see any reason in not utilizing a cell phone GPS on a bike, very handy to have a pocket sized computer, calculator and translator with one when traveling. In the US it seems that any place you stop for a meal or whatever will have wireless available so you don't even use much of your data from your phone service provider.

Wow, that Garmin GPS app is a great idea. I have been stuck more than once without cell signals, and it's not a happy feeling if you need map or contact via cell service. That's where the paper map comes in, too. Both are good, but the addition of GPS satellite signal mapping app on your cell is another tech advantage. Also, I have been in a near empty situation without knowing how close a gas station is, and that's where the GPS really helps.

Darn, If I took along all the accoutrements that I thought I needed on a trip, my Swing would look like the Dust Bowl migrants' loaded jalopy in Woodie Guthrie's "Do Re Mi."
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 4:54 pm

I use my iPhone for my for my GPS and it works great.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2018 9:33 pm

ItBeMe wrote:
I use my iPhone for my for my GPS and it works great.

I use the GPS for my phone and have never had an interrupted ride scratch
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: GPS   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2018 12:40 am

W O W ! You folks are awesome. There is never a doubt that whenever I have a question the Silverwing Cavalry will come to the rescue. Thank each and every one of you for your "real life" experience and advice. My decision is made...a GPS is in my near future and John I do own a WalMart acquired Rand McNally Atlas and it has it's benefits too but I now want the extra security of a GPS.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2018 8:59 am

Yes; there's a place for both
GPS: to get me where I'm going
Map: to help me decide where to go
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2018 8:21 pm

[quote="Bash On!"]Yes; there's a place for both
GPS: to get me where I'm going
Map: to help me decide where to go[/quot

I agree still like maps or use phone to look at maps. I like to listen to music when riding old Garmin Zumo 550 with XM antenna through helmet speakers. GPS is nice if zoomed in at times to see the road curves and track if on a unknown road. Rarely get lost and don't care as long as I got gas. Fuel that is.

GPS is point A-B its good for that.

I made a bracket between bars. Similar to others posted here works good vibrates a little much but is secure. Cool

Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 pm

I use my Ram mount for my MP3 player. I added two extra speakers on the top box because the two I had just weren't loud enough to hear decently over the wind noise. I put an amp and Bluetooth receiver in the top box and got a transmitter for my MP3 players earphone jack. Works pretty well. The speakers are waterproof too. It was proven last summer when I got caught in a downpour. They kept on playing. Also, if it does look like rain ahead, I'll pull off and put a plastic little bonnet over the MP3 player. That works too. And that little toggle switch you see in the lower right of the top photo is a lighted on/off switch for the amp inside the top box. That's waterproof too.

GPS on Silverwing? Speake10

GPS on Silverwing? Ride2_10
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2018 10:34 pm

Hey Dale, the reminds me of the Detroit Burgman club....Those guys put some music on their scoots that cost more than the bikes!!!!
Looks good. That would be good for pic nicks and meet ups too.

Edit: You might get some ideas from their videos on speaker placement......no joking, but extreme
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2018 10:42 pm

I know a guy who put $400 speakers on his Harley. And that's not counting the rest of the sound system. I don't have as much into mine as he spent on one speaker. But it works good enough for me and that's all that counts.
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 7:44 am

I like your speaker set up Dale! Do you have an auxiliary battery to power the speakers and Amp? Can you adjust the volume on the speakers while you are riding?
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 8:18 am

Good Morning 2wheelgal,

I have the amp and Bluetooth receiver hooked to the battery under the seat. If you look at my top photo you can see the wires running into the top box through a hole I drilled. I sealed all holes with black Silicone Sealant to keep the rain out. As far as adjusting the volume goes, that's done with my MP3 player between the handlebars. I have an old Samsung Sansa MP3 player that I put in an old cell phone cradle and mount to the Ram mount on my handlebars. If it's not raining I can control the volume. Once it starts raining the "bonnet" rain cover prevents me from rotating the volume control so I'm stuck with whatever volume it's set at.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 8:46 am

2wheelgal I hope these photos show clear enough so you can see how I mounted my MP3 player. And yes, the 3 rubber bands hold it on nicely along with the rubber shelf paper stuff. The little thingy on top of the MP3 player is my Bluetooth transmitter that connects to the receiver in the top box.

GPS on Silverwing? Mp3_110

GPS on Silverwing? Mp3_210

GPS on Silverwing? Mp3_310
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 am

Dale N when you going down the road listing to music, do you ever get happy feet. LOL
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: GPS   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 10:36 am

You have quite a nice set up there Dale. What kind of music do you prefer?
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 10:51 am

I think Dale likes Lawrence Welk. A 1 and a 2 chickendance chickendance
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: GPS   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 11:01 am

LOL...........good one. I remember growing up we could only receive 4 or 5 TV channels and on one particular evening it came down to 2 choices....Lawrence Welk or Hee Haw...........I'll give you one guess which one I chose.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 11:28 am

carolina wing rider wrote:
LOL...........good one. I remember growing up we could only receive 4 or 5 TV channels and on one particular evening it came down to 2 choices....Lawrence Welk or Hee Haw...........I'll give you one guess which one I chose.

Scantily clad women? Uh, I mean Daisy Dukes......dog gone these fat fingers...I mean Hee Haw..... clown
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: GPS   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 11:46 am

Yep. You are a pretty fart smella..........I'm sorry..........a pretty smart fella. My fingers may have become a little fat too. LOL
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Well, you got the pretty part correct which was the most important. Cool

I used to make comments about hijacked threads and now I've succumbed the practice. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 3:02 pm

I use a blue tooth wired from ZUMO that transmits to my helmet comunicator. Speakers in ear pockets works great 5-6 hour batter life. No wires.

ZUMO is waterproof motorcycle GPS. Good for phone calls with a mike in helmet. No one knows I'm even riding. Links to phone displays caller ID and contacts also. Rarely use that function though.

Add all that up $700 or so but is nice.
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Dale N. wrote:
2wheelgal I hope these photos show clear enough so you can see how I mounted my MP3 player. And yes, the 3 rubber bands hold it on nicely along with the rubber shelf paper stuff. The little thingy on top of the MP3 player is my Bluetooth transmitter that connects to the receiver in the top box.

Thanks Dale, I can see the MP3 player. I am guessing you can control the volume using the MP3 player? Did you have to install another small battery to power your speakers? I am wondering how much power they draw at full volume so they don't damage the Swings electrical system.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 6:41 pm

The speakers are powered off the amp which is connected to the SWing's battery. I've never had any problems with it this way. I don't think it draws enough to matter. I've never had the MP3 player at full volume and the amp is only 300 Watts.
And yes. The volume is controlled via the MP3 player.
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Thanks Dale!! I love your set up and will plan on doing something similar to my Swing.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 am

Dale N. wrote:

Thanks for those great photo's,

Notice the key ring hanging from Dale's ignition switch, All those keys wear the plastic everywhere they touch leaving permanent scratches in the plastic's finish.

More importantly, However the biggest problem with that key ring is the weight, That extra weight being supported by the Tumblers in the Ignition switch will eventually destroy the Ignition Switch.

I understand that there will be posters denying that this will occur, How ever I have replaced Dozens of switches over the years Damaged from weight being hung on them as pictured.

I also understand that this will not be considered Important by some because it only Cost Three or Four hundred Dollars to replace those switches, Including the time lost while the Stealer orders the parts necessary to repair the Scooter.

I always suggest to the owners of the hundreds of scooters that I have repaired over the years that they not hang weight on their ignition key, Some have listened and saved hundreds of dollars. Others have learned the hard way.

Happy motoring
Lloyd 193.

Last edited by lloyd193 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 11:12 am

Yah that looks like about 82 lbs handing there on Dales key. LOL
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 11:46 am

ItBeMe wrote:
Yah that  looks like about 82 lbs handing there on Dales key. LOL

You did get the numbers right ItBeMe. Just in the wrong order...
And while I did notice a couple of very small scratches, that were hardly noticeable, it doesn't really bother me. After 4 years it's not a big deal.

GPS on Silverwing? Key_we10
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

GPS on Silverwing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS on Silverwing?   GPS on Silverwing? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Oh my god Dale you ignition switch killer. You just don't care do you. Well soon you will have thousands of dollars in repairs. You need to take all that crap off and drill holes in your mane key to lighten it up. LOL
Back to top Go down

GPS on Silverwing?
Page 1 of 1