Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oil for Silverwing

Go down 
+6
sc00ter
Dale N.
Mech 1 twa
GHM-PM
john grinsel
Teresaamorris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Teresaamorris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2020-03-05

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 11:48 pm

We have been using Mobil 1 synthetic. My spouse has a 2010 Can Am Spyder. There is a warning in the service manual about issues with the clutch slipping if using oil with designation api SM. Mobil 1 now has this designation. Has anyone had recent issues with the clutch slipping after an oil change? We are having problems sourcing oil for his trike, as most oils now seem to have this designation.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 6:34 am

First, SilverWing does not have a wet clutch that can slip.

Based on over 90,000 miles with two new SilverWings and no engine trouble---WalMart house brand 10-40 works fine---priced right.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 7:02 am

As John says there is NO wet clutch to worry about. Use whatever good quality 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil. Mobil One is fine if you care to use it. The Silver Wing is not hard on oil like some dirt bikes so Walmart oil will work or any conventional oil. I usually use Rotella T5 synthetic blend.

The above being said my SWing did not like Rotella T4 15W-40 diesel oil. The only time my scoot used any oil between changes was using this oil.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 7:58 pm

Mobile makes a great motorcycle oil wet clutch safe but $10 a qt. 10W40 or 20W50.
I've been using Mobile one 0W40 European formula for the last few oil changes. Has a higher zink- phosphorus levels than many other car oils. Less engine wear. Viscosity is right there with a 10W at 50-70°F and more like a thin 40W when hot.

Most 10w40 oil don't have friction modifiers that could cause a wet clutch to slip.

Shell also makes some good oils Rotella T6 in 5W40 and 0w40 but I've never seen 0w40 anywhere. Diesel oils. They also make 10W30 semi synthetic.

Stay away from any oil SN rated oil. Reduced zink-phosphorus levels in new oil are to protect cat. converters from damage. It slowly destroys them more so in a engine burning much oil.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 11:47 pm

This is the oil I've been using:
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/20w-40-synthetic-v-twin-motorcycle-oil/?code=MVIQT-EA

I use Amsoil, but not motorcycle oil in my other vehicles, in all my engines just because I like it. No other special reason. I like it.
I use it in my snowblower, lawn mowers, car, pickup and SWing.

But then that's just my choice.

I had a 99 Chevy Silverado with over 245,000 miles on it. I like it especially in the winter because it doesn't thicken like regular oil. And here in Minnesota we do get winter once in a while...
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 12:24 am

My wife had a Can-Am Spyder, I think it to was a 2010. Use the RECOMMENDED oil in the Spyder. Even if you have to buy the oil change "kit" at the dealership, I actually recommend that kit myself. And do the WHOLE change EVERY TIME! Oil and filter at the same time. If you allow the Spyder to start slipping (is yours the semi-auto or normal clutch?) or find any metal "dust" in the oil, prepare for a terror repair bill to service the clutch. As for the Silverwing, I use regular automotive synthetic.
Back to top Go down
Teresaamorris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 9:57 am

Ours is the semiautonomous. Thanks for the input.
Back to top Go down
Teresaamorris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 9:58 am

I meant semiautomatic. Cursed spell check.
Back to top Go down
Dzone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-06-21

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 2:57 pm

i use Motul 300V 10w50
very good even in hot weather and agressive driving
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 4:18 pm

Anything that meets the spec and at periods by the manual. The SW is a simple engine, doesn't rev high & no wet clutch.
Anything too expensive is waste of money I reckon.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 6:30 am

No one seems to mention the oil specs Honda recommend for the Silver Wing, just the viscosity they're using which is usually 10w-40. I started off using 10w-40, then changed to 10w-30. It took quite a bit of label browsing to find a brand that had the correct API service classification of SG or higher, JASO T903 standard and all the rest of it.

To make it easier for myself I had the oil spec in the Notes in my iPhone for reference.

Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2020 6:09 am

As Meldrew says the right spec. is important and I also think that frequent changes helps .  It doesn't need a lot of oil and running on clean oil helps maintain engine condition . I give all my engines more frequent changes than the service schedule.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil for Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil for Silverwing   Oil for Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil for Silverwing
Page 1 of 1