Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter Empty
PostSubject: Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter   Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 7:52 am

Just got back from 15 day ride--4800 miles---about 14 states--not SilverWing but my 2017 Honda CB300F---bike equipped with Puig...2 windshield system I figured out. Hepco & Becker luggage rack....and $40 Bestem top box for dog, hole cut in top so his head comes out, if he wants. I wore 3/4 open face helmet.

No bike trouble, not even open chain adjust, use ATF as chain lube, messy...but works and ATF spatter wipes off easy.

Now---temps went thru---20's F to 80's---so carried lots of stuff to keep warm or to take off when it got warmer----used Aerostich Darien Jacket and pants=worked. Wore only long underwear under the pants, as they have never worked well for me as overpants over jeans----So didn't get wet or over heated. Gloves/rain mitts always problem for me, so carried many pairs/overmitts. heated grips would have been nice.

Weather=rain/snow but only rode one day in all day rain----snow, just as I pulled into motel parking lot in northern AZ, light rain turned to snow as I parked. For the first time in many years I made it by Flagstaff without riding on snow.

Best tip--Wolverine Bucanner Weelington WATERPROOF---$140, have my second pr. Saves carrying rubber boots,etc.

Winds=horrible for most of trip.I can deal with head/tail winds...but constant strong wind from side, drives me nuts!!

Based on years and lots of miles favorite machine would have been Helix because rear foot brake and built in trunk, second Burgman 400 because non linked brakes--feature like outside temp gauge, 4-way blinkers, plug,----Silver Wing last for me, weight, unbalanced feeling loaded----CB300F did well, 60-70 mpg, rough average strong 65 mpg--reg gas, speed and performance about same as SilverWing, revs HIGH but doesn't seem to hurt anything. Of course missed dry feet/weather protection thing about scooter.

Drivers=scary...especially pickups and SUV's---Road conditions=ruff. We need in US 25 cents a gallon surcharge to us to fix roads....they are horrible.

Machine needs oil & filter change---going back to my favorite WalMart house brand 10-40---have Honda 10-30 in it now....and used over one pint on trip.

My soon to be 79 year old body, did well.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter   Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 am

Nice ride report, Mr Grinsel. Thank you for sharing.

Now all that need be done is to have Mrs G stitch up a set of canvas legshields and you'll be all set for that delayed ride to Radisson, QC.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Ride   Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 1:53 pm

John what a great adventure! I think it is awesome that you took your dog along with you. May I ask how often you stop for him to take water and do his business? Do you bring bottled water and a small bowl? I would love to try that myself. Thanks for the report.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter   Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks for boot recommendation. Seems like good overall boot for reasonable price.

Yes, although I am normally not in favor of ANY more taxes, maybe a small increase in gas tax would help improve roads, but ONLY IF IT WAS USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR ROAD IMPROVEMENT. And that's where we may be tilting at windmills.
Back to top Go down

Ride to 14 states--4800 miles--mid winter
Page 1 of 1