Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Finally got a Swing

Go down 
+4
steve_h80
oldwingguy
Dale N.
docjones
8 posters
AuthorMessage
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-10-12

Finally got a Swing Empty
PostSubject: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2017 10:46 pm

I think I got a great deal and boy that sucker is fast. Puts my 08 Burgman 400 to shame. Not sure why I waited so long but glad to be here. Looking forward to sharing and learning. Already changed the oil and filter and I know I have to replace those 11 year old tires. What else is suggested. Thanks in advance, Tom (aka docjones)
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 12:52 am

Hi Tom,
What year is your SWing and how many miles on it? Do you know how old the drive belt is or when/if it's been changed? Is should be changed every 16,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 9:17 am

Air filter, final drive fluid, anti freeze, brake fluids.
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 am

My Swing is an 06. 966 total miles. It seems it was purchased new in 07 and parked in a garage for about 11years. Then traded in on a car at a used car lot in Charlotte NC. That's where I piced it up this past weekend. I'll do the antifreeze, final drive oil, and the brake fluid but just inspect the air filter. Not ready to shell out the $30.00 for a new air filter unless I have to. Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 3:35 pm

At 10 years old I'd do the drive belt too, it's spent too long in one position to be guaranteed healthy. It's an easy job to do.
Sounds like you got a bargain :-)
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
Sounds like you got a bargain :-)

Did he mention a price?  Bike sitting that long hard to tell right away if it's a bargain or not, even if the price is known. Question
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Tom, don't ride it like you stole it ! , not just yet, anyway. It is hardly broken in. I got my 07 with low miles too, and after the usual checks and changes, I put the first 1000 miles gently. You are in Florida, so no end to your riding season.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 6:22 pm

I paid $3500.00, maybe a bit to much but with the low miles I thought what the hell. Years ago I got a 01 Reflex with 700 some odd miles on it. It was at least 8 or 9 years old at the time and to this day it still runs perfect. I put new tires on it, changed the oil to synthetic and didn't change the belt until the required 12,00 miles. She currently has close to 35,000 miles and has never given me one problem. I just change the oil more than I need to and try and take care of her. Can't beat a Honda. Anyone want to buy an 08 Burgman 400. Runs great.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Doc,
Check the post a couple entries back by ribetim. There are a lot of good advice in that post. He had similar miles when first purchased.
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks Easyrider. I just finished reading all of those post. My pockets aren't as deep as his but I will get there soon. Tires are first and then all the little stuff is cheap and easy. I do 95% of all my own work and with two Hondas and two Suzukis in my garage I don't have a lot to do because they are all so reliable.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Very good Doc. Ride safe. Do the safety items first.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Tom, nice to see you here. Your username sounds familiar. Did you used to be on STn, years ago?

Yeah, you paid a bit too much for such an old S-Wing. However, once you replace the stuff that will degrade just from sitting, it is essentially a new bike.

I had an '04 and sold it a couple years ago, because it wasn't getting much use on account of my family duties. I regretted it very quickly. I find that with the family duties, that is when I REALLY need to get away sometimes. Bought a '12 again this year. Just as good as I remember. Always in the right gear, always enough power and enough storage.

I think the older ones, with the dash painted to match the body, were even better looking than the latest models.

Congratulations and enjoy!
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2017 8:38 pm

I agree about the painted dash. Not sure what STn is? I've been around several forums for about 8 years now. Started with a Kymco 125, then a Reflex, then a Burgman 400 and now the Swing. I might have paid to much but all the blue ones in a 400 mile range were the same price with a heck of a lot more miles and scratches. Wish me luck this could be my last scooter. My new Bridgestone Hoops should be in tomorrow and then it's all over with but the crying. By the way Jeremy my Mom was from Chicago. Last name Cook. Heard of her?
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2017 7:21 pm

docjones wrote:
I agree about the painted dash. Not sure what STn is? I've been around several forums for about 8 years now. Started with a Kymco 125, then a Reflex, then a Burgman 400 and now the Swing. I might have paid to much but all the blue ones in a 400 mile range were the same price with a heck of a lot more miles and scratches. Wish me luck this could be my last scooter. My new Bridgestone Hoops should be in tomorrow and then it's all over with but the crying. By the way Jeremy my Mom was from Chicago. Last name Cook. Heard of her?

I recognize your name from a forum somewhere. May have been the Burgman forum, as I used to be there.

STn = www.sport-touring.net

I don't think I've ever known anyone named Cook... Chicago is a sad state of affairs these days. We've got 600 murders to date in 2017. Shocked
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 10, 2017 8:13 am

Oh, on the STn above. I did own a Honda ST 1100 for a short while earlier this year and was on that forum. The main problem with that bike was it would put my throttle hand to sleep in less than 30 miles. I can't remember any of my scooters doing that after hundreds of mile in a day. So far so good on the Swing. I haven't had it out for an extended cruise yet but I sure do like the acceleration. To bad about Chicago but my parents moved out of there sometime in the early 40s.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally got a Swing   Finally got a Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally got a Swing
Page 1 of 1