Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Ignition coil replacement

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
SteveSilverWing
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Ignition coil replacement Empty
PostSubject: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Hello Swingers,

re: 2013 Honda Silver Wing / 15,000 miles so far.

In an effort to troubleshoot my ongoing intermittent stall problem, it was recommended that I replace the ignition coil, spark plug cables and caps.  The parts are arriving today and cannot find detailed information on how to replace these components.

I own a Silver Wing Service Manual, but it falls short of giving me the details I need to do the job.  Chapter 19, page 6, is all the manual offers.

Can any of you guys offer me some recommendations on best practices for replacing said components.  Furthermore, I've read that it is necessary to test ignition timing after replacing an electrical part such as this.  Is this absolutely necessary -- I don't own a timing light, but if it's required, I'll get one.

Thanks in advance!  You guys have helped me so much already with other Swing issues I've experienced.  One day I'll be able to offer other some tips, but I'm not there yet! Shocked

Steve
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Should have mentioned...

In my effort to troubleshoot my intermittent stall problem I have done the following:

1) Replaced spark plugs with iridium type (they seem to work fine)

2) Air filter replaced

3) Added Techron engine cleaner to gas tank. I added 4.2 ozs. to tank as was recommended. Should I add the entire bottle?

4) Upped the idle to 1,300 rpm as it was running low at 1,100 rpm ever since I purchased it.

The stall continued after maintaining the above.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Ever had battery load tested?
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 1:18 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Ever had battery load tested?

Forgot to mention that. I bought a Battery Tender lithium battery just 1.5 months ago. Had it tested at the shop and it was putting out 13V as expected.

Thanks John!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 3:41 pm

That still doesn't mean battery accept load all the time
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 3:52 pm

john grinsel wrote:
That still doesn't mean battery accept load all the time

I have so much to learn... I won't give up until this intermittent stalling problem is resolved. Very frustrating after paying $9K just 2.5 years ago new off the lot with 3 miles on odometer.

Another tool I'm going to need is a volt meter -- then I'll have to learn how to use it. Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Don't buy any more tools----basic, check battery with professional load test--Batteries Plus does good job.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 6:49 pm

IIRC you'll need to remove the tunnel cover and right side skirt to replace the coil and plug wires.

No you won't have to check the ignition timing.

Once you've replaced those components be sure to adjust the idle RPM to the factory spec. That will be a much easier job while the tunnel cover is off --at least then you can see the location of the idle screw and familiarize yourself with some of the other components.

Tim
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
IIRC you'll need to remove the tunnel cover and right side skirt to replace the coil and plug wires.

No you won't have to check the ignition timing.

Once you've replaced those components be sure to adjust the idle RPM to the factory spec. That will be a much easier job while the tunnel cover is off --at least then you can see the location of the idle screw and familiarize yourself with some of the other components.

Tim

Thank you, that is very helpful!

I have studied the service manual and feel confident that I can easily remove the right-side floor skirt (ch-2/p-4). Once I have the old ignition coil in sight, I'll follow the diagram in ch-19/p-6 and will not use pliers to disengage anything. Not sure how that's going to go -- looked for videos or tutorials here but could not find anything specific to ignition coil installation.

So glad I won't have to mess with ignition timing -- what a relief!

All this in my effort to solve an intermittent stall problem that has been bugging me for a few months. If new ignition coil, cables and caps doesn't fix the stall problem, I'm not sure what I'll check next.

The shop that I do trust has already tried to isolate the problem but could not. Still charged me $65 to idle it in the shop for an hour or two. Intermittent problems of any kind are always, or at least usually, difficult to resolve.

Thanks again, Tim!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 9:07 pm

FIRST, I've never delved into the electrics of my S'wing so my question to every / anyone is do our S'Wings use pulse generators?
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 5:04 pm

I BELIEVE THAT THE STALL PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!

Yesterday I was prepared to replace the ignition coil, cables and caps anew, but was surprised at what I found when I removed the right-side floor skirt.  Once the skirt was removed, I clearly saw the ignition coil with its two clip-on connections on one side and spark plug cables on the other.  What immediately struck me was that the black color-coded connector that is closest to the outside floor skirt was hanging on by a thread.  I really think that the connection was only being made because of plastic wire tension pushing it up against the lead.

I reconnected the hanging black connector and checked on the tightness of both connectors -- seemed strongly in place.  I believe that this loose connection was the problem all along, because since making this important re-connection, there have been zero stalls. How did this happen? I'll never know but I have my suspicions and will leave it at that.

I took it for a ride up into the Angeles National Forest to Wildwood picnic area at https://goo.gl/maps/xKUQDXEN8FU2.  It's a fun curvy ride up one of the many roads that are a biker's dream come true.  Sadly, a few riders (café racer types) every year go careening over the edge of one of the many curves in the road.  You'll see rescue helicopters fly by to rescue people in need -- sometimes bikers, but also hikers get into trouble.

Anyways, the stall problem is gone and I can't wait to ride down to San Diego or wherever and not have to worry that my Swing might fail when I need it most.

Thanks again to anyone who helped me along the way, or tried to.  Much appreciation to everyone!!

Steve
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 5:37 pm

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Glad your problem has been solved. I hate electrical problems because they are so hard to find.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 pm

Dale N. wrote:
Glad your problem has been solved. I hate electrical problems because they are so hard to find.

I know; right? Intermittent problems of any kind are always a pain to fix. I have to say that I'm kind of pleased to have fixed the stall problem on my own. Along the way, I learned basic maintenance steps such as oil/filter change (the 4th), spark plug change (iridium), air cleaner change, lithium battery replacement and that's it so far. Next, I will be changing the V-belt at 16,000, replacing weight rollers with slider type, I think, but that has yet to be studied and decided on. I'm at 15,300 right now.

Love saving loads of mechanic money, too!!!

Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 4:06 am

Hi

I am glad you have sorted the problem out. Now you will be able to get on and enjoy the bike!!

Mr Blobby
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Ignition coil replacement 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 12:22 pm

cheers cheers I too am glad you solved the problem. cheers cheers

I also appreciate the way you kept us informed of your fix. Maybe it will help someone else along the way. Isn't that what this forum is all about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ignition coil replacement   Ignition coil replacement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ignition coil replacement
Page 1 of 1