Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?

Go down 
+5
Cosmic_Jumper
The Bern
Mr Blobby
Meldrew
Silverwingdays
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2017-06-05

Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? Empty
PostSubject: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi, I just put a Michelin SC pure on the front of the silverwing, and while it seems to absorb the bumps a little more which is nice and handles amazingly well,very quick etc if you will, it sort of feels a bit lacking on the feedback side of things.

The Hoop 03 on from new definately gave you more of as sense of the front end for the 3 odd months I rode with it.

I`m not knocking the SC pure but I do miss the bit of feedback that has reduced.

Any thoughts etc.

Back too 2 Hoops for me I think in about 5-6K miles unless there is something even better ? ( UK tyre wise )

Best SWD, Thanks.

PS sorry to ask on this thread but how much oil will I need for the 2 front legs please, is 1 Litre enough, Thank You..
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 5:55 pm

I really have no idea what your problem is, I've had Continental ContiMoves fitted for over a year, they were an unusual choice at the time, and within a few weeks they were just another set of tyres. I've no worries or concerns about handling, feedback, road bumps or any other of this constant drip feed of perceived problems only you seem to have with your Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2017-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Ok I give up.

I`ll join the others who don`t post.

Best SWD.
Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 5:43 am

This is a forum. It should be a place to ask questions without getting upset or even annoyed by the replies. A little tolerance and thinking but not printing might not go amiss.
Mr Blobby  scratch
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 6:04 am

SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:

PS sorry to ask on this thread but how much oil will I need for the 2 front legs please, is 1 Litre enough, Thank You..

Yep, initial fill is 300cc per leg, then pump to remove air, push stanchion fully dowm & measure top edge of tube to oil, add a little more if needed to get a measurement of 97mm
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 6:21 am

OK that ^^ the oil answered, regarding tyres, it's a VERY personal choice & only one that can practically be answered by yourself, as an example Meldrew (hi bud) says ...
Meldrew wrote:
I've had Continental ContiMoves fitted for over a year
... which is imho bloody brilliant, I scrubbed my Contimove rear tyre out in 6 weeks, there are simply too many variables to give an objective point of view in a few words.
Road surface, riding style, weather conditions, surface temperature, speed, acceleration from standstill, braking, tyre pressure, tyre compound, bias/cross ply/radial belting, are just some of the variables that may affect feel/handling/wear rate.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 7:06 am

Mr Blobby wrote:
This is a forum. It should be a place to ask questions without getting upset or even annoyed by the replies. A little tolerance and thinking but not printing might not go amiss.
Mr Blobby  scratch

So this front fork problem has been going on here and on another forum for months. I've already answered his question for what viscosity fluid to put in the fork legs, because he had no idea. Officially it's Pro Honda Suspension Fluid SS-8 which is 10w, and I made the effort to find out the viscosity before posting. Also his query for what size Airflow cushion fitted the Silver Wing

Let's see now, the fork fluid capacity can be given as cm3, US oz, or Imp oz with plus or minus amounts on all of them. Then there's the oil level, different tightening torques for the installation afterwards and numerous other jobs.

Since he's letting some bloke he knows sort his forks out, don't you think investing in a Factory Service Manual would be a good idea if you're going to do any major tinkering instead of relying on freebee drabs of info given out on here?

Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 7:21 am

Hiya.  
I totally agree. A workshop manual is definitely a good investment and does provide loads of information useful to know.
The hard copy can be a little pricey but I used a pdf copy for quite a while at the start just printing off the bits I needed at the time. They are about so good luck if you decide to trawl the net for a copy.
Mr Blobby
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 8:07 am

Bern, Meldrew, you guys are too kind and have shown too much tolerance. It appears that SWD has 'left the building' after not receiving the answers and adultation he assumed was his due. Perhaps things would be different had he not declined to show forum members the courtesy of an introduction rather than adamantly refusing. 

While I hope that we, here, haven't gotten to the point where we've become stuffy & formal, it does appear that some folks haven't been a good voice in the conversation.

I do hope that if he decides to return to the forum he will post a courteous introduction. Meanwhile, au revoir SWD

Tim
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 8:27 am

Only my opinion, Tim, but I don't think we have become 'too stuffy'.

Those with knowledge pass it on freely and it is quite reasonable that they/we get annoyed when others either take no notice or can't be bothered to look around and find the answers.
For example, the 'Airhawk Seat' question comes up over and over again. The answer can be found easily here by using the SEARCH facility but some people just can't be bothered; it's not a case of not knowing how to.

I, too, am a member of the 'other' forum to which Meldrew refers and have suffered the same frustration for more than a few months of SWD!

If I didn't know better (do I?) I'd think he was trolling - but I won't go down that route again!

Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 8:53 am

MikeO wrote:
Only my opinion, Tim, but I don't think we have become 'too stuffy'.

I, too, am a member of the 'other' forum to which Meldrew refers and have suffered the same frustration for more than a few months of SWD!

If I didn't know better (do I?) I'd think he was trolling - but I won't go down that route again!

OK not fueling the flames but SWD was on my foe list (as is another) so didnt worry about his posts & i think he's had more than enough generosity of knowledge supplied both here and the other forum (& believe he will remain under another name) but we consider trolling I often wonder in this digital age what before was isolation & loneliness with people now allows then to post just to seek company and conversation with the world.

However courtesy & rules still apply & an introduction was amiss.

Keep up the advice & banter folks I'm grateful
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 8:57 am

Cheers Tim, we do try, tell you what bud, just incase others think we are being unhelpful in any way here's some of several posts of mine on the same subject by same OP as here but on 'the other forum' ...

Cool, my method ....
Bike on centre stand, put a car scissor jack under the subframe (hiding under a rubber flap) just ahead of the oil filter, raise until front wheel is just off the ground.
Remove brake caliper & pipe clamp.
Remove front wheel
Remove front mudguard
Undo hose clamp on steering yoke, lift hose over & to the rear of the yoke (fiddly but 'do-able') tie calliper to handlebar to stop it pulling on the pipes.
Now it's just a matter of undoing the pinch bolts & sliding the legs out, the TOP bolt needs to be removed FIRST this is important because there is a locating groove in the leg, the weight of the leg on that bolt makes it bind & becomes a right bugger to get out (I found out the hard way), now you should only need to slacken the lower bolt, if it's too tight for the leg to drop out simply lever the yoke slit open a little.

OK legs are out, this is where the large vice comes in Wink , get a couple of bits of wood & cut a 'V' in each, now 'trap' the leg in the 'V's & clamp in the vice, with a six sided socket (not a twelve sided as it can round off the corners) & knuckle bar 'crack' the bolt + 1 turn, now remove the knuckle bar & fit a T bar, continue to undo the bolt while at the same time pushing down (the spring is under compressive preload by the bolt, NOT pushing down WILL result in bit flying around suddenly, also there is a risk of injury).
Put bolt & washer/distance piece somewhere clean, lift out spring, remove from vice & drain oil by tipping into bucket (or similar) & pumping to help clear the damper.

Optional ... Flush out any remaining oil by putting 250cc (or so) of 5w fork oil, reassemble leg & pump 15 to 20 times then drain

Put in specified amount of fork oil 7.5w - 15w, personally I favour Castrol or Silkolene but there are many other makes out there to chose from.

Re-assembly is basically the reverse process except that you will need a piece of 8mm rod with a taper ground/turned on one end to act as a locating tool, to get the leg in the right place relevant to the top bolt hole, fully tighten & torque up the lower pinch bolt, remove locating tool & fit the top bolt, pop it back together go out & enjoy :D

Will post torque settings, fluid capacity & other tech 'guff' this evening as my tying finger is now knackered Wink

.... Cheers, no prob's, getting the pinch bolts out then in again is a bit fiddly, but compared to the time needed to remove masses of plastic panels, it's a 'no brainer'.
Regarding the oil, order a litre (or one & a half if flushing), the initial capacity is 300cc per leg which is then 'fine tuned' by measurement after pumping several times to release any trapped air.

............ you initially put 300cc in each leg, pump it to force out any trapped air (as per the video) when all traces of bubbles are gone push the tube into the stanchion & measure from the top of the tube to the fluid surface & top-up as necessary to achieve a dimension of 97mm

Put the spring in closed coils down & reassemble (incase you do find secondhand springs at some point in the future, the service limit of the free length is 325mm any shorter & it's worn out)

Torque settings ...
Fork cap ................. 32Nm (2.3kgf/m .. 16lbf/ft)
Yolk pinch bolts .......... 69Nm (7.0kgf/m ..51lbf/ft)
Front axle bolt ........... 59Nm (6.0kgf/m .. 43lbf/ft)
Axle pinch bolts .......... 22Nm (2.2kgf/m .. 16lbf/ft)
Caliper mounting bolts .. 42Nm (4.3kgf/m .. 31lbf/ft)

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 9:13 am

I live alone and spend far too much time on the Internet because it's a way of keeping in close contact with friends who live at a distance.
I do have newer friends close by but, by and large, they have families and so on so are not necessarily able to spend time with me.
I'm not complaining; my point is that I try not to be irritating on line. It's certainly not my intention but I fear others may not have the same approach.

Love you all! cheers
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 am

On the subject of introductions, I just found mine ( https://www.silverwing600.com/t6405-hello-from-the-uk ) I'd completely forgotton that my wife had named it ... Harryette
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 1:49 pm

I for one am glad to see the back of Silverwing days. He came on this site and never stopped asking question after question, usually stupid questions that he the could have found answers for with a little bit of effort. He also irritated me with his constant moans about oil, seat, handling, suspension etc. etc. Even though asked several times to do an introduction he just ignored even the Site Admin.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Mr Blobby wrote:
Mr Blobby  scratch

There are a few on here that would complain if they were hanged with a new rope!

Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 pm

SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:
Ok I give up.

I`ll join the others who don`t post.

Best SWD.

By not posting, You will greatly reduce the number of insults Originating over yonder and directed toward newer Posters.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?   Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 3:16 am

This thread is locked for the time-being.
Back to top Go down

Best Tyre for feedback on a Silverwing ?
Page 1 of 1