Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Adding antifreeze coolant

Go down 
+5
Mech 1 twa
oldwingguy
Scootypuff Snr
Meldrew
SteveSilverWing
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Adding antifreeze coolant Empty
PostSubject: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 3:50 pm

I'm finally getting around to maintaining the antifreeze coolant. Upon checking the level, I found the coolant level is at the bottom line indicator. Per the Service Manual, I purchased a silicate-free antifreeze and noticed that its color is different from what came with the bike (antifreeze in reservoir is blue -- Pentofrost SF is pink).

Does the color being different make any difference? I would buy Honda's recommended brand but it is double the price.

Here is the product that I bought:
https://tinyurl.com/yc46dy56

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 5:21 pm

A couple of years ago I bought the Pro Honda anti-freeze simply because there's a Honda car dealership near my home. As I'd been thinking about doing a coolant change I called in there one day on the way home from a ride. I can't remember it being expensive and I wouldn't have cared if was, it's the stuff recommended in the Boys Own Bumper Book Of The Silver Wing, and conveniently sold in ready to use one litre containers.

I changed the coolant a couple of days later, it was basically draining off the old blue Pro Honda coolant and adding identical looking new Pro Honda coolant. I occasionally check the level, a few weeks ago I removed the right side glovebox pocket and topped the level up.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Meldrew wrote:
A couple of years ago I bought the Pro Honda anti-freeze simply because there's a Honda car dealership near my home. As I'd been thinking about doing a coolant change I called in there one day on the way home from a ride. I can't remember it being expensive and I wouldn't have cared if was, it's the stuff recommended in the Boys Own Bumper Book Of The Silver Wing, and conveniently sold in  ready to use one litre containers.

I changed the coolant a couple of days later, it was basically draining off the old blue Pro Honda coolant and adding identical looking new Pro Honda coolant. I occasionally check the level, a few weeks ago I removed the right side glovebox pocket and topped the level up.

I feel somewhat uninformed because I don't understand "Boys Own Bumper Book Of The Silver Wing".

I'm not sure, but are you advising me to purchase Pro Honda anti-freeze and either a) top up to top level line; or b) drain and replace?

Thank you for your input just the same. Smile
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Steve
English humour is unique!
Meldrew means the owners handbook & is saying use the Honda product draining the system and refilling.

I don't think product colour makes any difference unless it's like screen wash in that some don't freeze until much lower temperatures (Here in France pink screen wash freezes lower than blue coloured)

I'm sure others will tell you it's fine to use (look at the ingredients held against a genuine Honda one)

Personally coolant is so rarely changed/topped up I'd use the real deal (Honda)
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 6:19 pm

Look at the bottle / jug / can of the anti freeze you want to use and I'll bet it says low silicate compatible with all anti freeze. Drain the old, flush with distilled or rain water and refill with the product of your choice. After that you should be good for the next 100,000 miles or ten years.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Ok it's cars but may help

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/genuine-honda-factory-coolant-fact-fiction-137920/

Do you have to worry about freezing in L.A.?
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 6:23 pm

I found what Mildrew was referring to in Pro Honda HP coolant in 1-quart containers at:

https://tinyurl.com/ydcjy5tw

I will definitely purchase the Honda product.

Thanks again Mildrew!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Scootypuff Snr wrote:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/genuine-honda-factory-coolant-fact-fiction-137920/

They call it coolant for a reason, it helps in hot weather too, remember no engine manufacture makes their own and when it says compatible with all they are putting their name on the line, much like oil. Subaru would like me to believe using Subaru approved Subaru oil is the way to go, funny not they put Moibil 1 synthetic in when the change mine.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 6:30 pm

Scootypuff Snr wrote:

No, our weather in L.A. is never cold -- it never freezes outside even on the coldest of our winter days. Don't know why I'm so concerned about anti-freeze other than to do the best maintenance work possible. I've purchased a couple of 1-quart Honda Pro HP Coolant and will top up the level to the top line. I will replace it at 24,000 miles but not looking forward to that...LOL

Though I am a very mechanically-inclined person, I've been reluctant to do my own servicing for fear of f**king something up. I'm getting over than now and have already performed several maintenance tasks including oil and oil filter change, spark plug replacement (iridium) and now learning to maintain cooling system.

This forum is absolutely fantastically helpful with all things Silver Wing!

Much appreciation for that!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Coolant does more than just protect against freezing.
Lubes water pump keeps internal parts from rusting keeps cooling system clean.

Coolant change is easy. Remove 1 bolt to drain. Remove right pocket to access RAD. cap to refill system. I use Honda car coolant. 50/50 mix and much cheaper. I've been using this coolant for 13 years on my bikes and cars no problems. GOOD STUFF.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 12:44 am

One thing for sure is to be positive whatever coolant you use has no silicates. Honda specifies that in most of their bike engines. I've replaced water pumps on several Goldwings. Silicates are designed to scour corrosion from aluminum block engines. It is hard on coolant pump seals. Most antifreeze jugs will say 'No silicates'. Most of the long-life antifreeze is slicate free. Check on the web site of the stuff you use if you're not sure.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 4:03 am

SteveSilverWing wrote:
Scootypuff Snr wrote:

No, our weather in L.A. is never cold -- it never freezes outside even on the coldest of our winter days. Don't know why I'm so concerned about anti-freeze other than to do the best maintenance work possible.  I've purchased a couple of 1-quart Honda Pro HP Coolant and will top up the level to the top line.  I will replace it at 24,000 miles but not looking forward to that...LOL

Though I am a very mechanically-inclined person, I've been reluctant to do my own servicing for fear of f**king something up.  I'm getting over than now and have already performed several maintenance tasks

I wondered as much so best mix being the one that runs at high temps.

I know how you feel some bikes just lend themselves to home maintenance in comparison to others (yet same basic design) scooter panels are my nemesis.

I also don't understand why manufacturers use so many bolts I always manage to have at least one left over so obviously not needed lol
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Scootypuff Snr wrote:
SteveSilverWing wrote:
Scootypuff Snr wrote:

No, our weather in L.A. is never cold -- it never freezes outside even on the coldest of our winter days. Don't know why I'm so concerned about anti-freeze other than to do the best maintenance work possible.  I've purchased a couple of 1-quart Honda Pro HP Coolant and will top up the level to the top line.  I will replace it at 24,000 miles but not looking forward to that...LOL

Though I am a very mechanically-inclined person, I've been reluctant to do my own servicing for fear of f**king something up.  I'm getting over than now and have already performed several maintenance tasks

I wondered as much so best mix being the one that runs at high temps.

I know how you feel some bikes just lend themselves to home maintenance in comparison to others (yet same basic design) scooter panels are my nemesis.

I also don't understand why manufacturers use so many bolts I always manage to have at least one left over so obviously not needed lol

Scottypuff, ou're right about the high temps! Last week is was 105 F. and it was super hot...fires in Burbank and many other Southern California areas.

I ordered the Honda Pro HP coolant and know that it will help.

Thanks for contacting me.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Do not mix   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 pm

In my opinion, one should not mix antifreeze, just like you should not mix oil.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Pastor Ron read the oil labels and try to find the words do not mix, you will find the word compatible with, you can mix weights you can mix syn with regular after all that is what a blend is. As for anti freeze unless your using really old stuff they are all compatible between brands.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Pastor Ron wrote:
In my opinion, one should not mix antifreeze, just like you should not mix oil.

I'd normally agree, but I have done once out of necessity and my bike suffered no ill effects whatsoever.

Please allow an old man to ramble on (again! Rolling Eyes ) Back in the Nineties I bought a new BMW R80 GS and went on a 3500 miles tour to Hungary via the Austrian Alps, when the GS had about 1000 miles on the clock. The oil was topped up before I left home and I took a half litre bottle of 10w 40 with me. With daily high mileages, hot weather, and a lot of high speed autobahn riding, I'd used all of that spare litre on top ups by the time I got to Hungary.

Hungary still had State run petrol/gas stations back then and the only oil I could buy was in small quantities 20w 50, so I had no choice but to top with that.  I only used about half a bottle on top ups as the engine had loosened up by the time I was on the return journey home and top ups were less frequent. Anyway both the outward and return rides were trouble free, apart from the noisy rubbish Schuberth full face I'd chosen to wear. Later on I junked the small GS screen for a much better touring one from Parabellum.

I think I put another trouble free 20000 miles on that  GS before I traded it in for the R100 GS PD. I'd wanted the 8 gallon tank Paris Dakar version for a long time, but it was only after plastic petrol/gas tanks were made legal I was able to buy one.
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 2:15 am

One thing I have learned from experience is never, EVER, mix Pink coolant with Green coolant !!! Ever !!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 2:39 am

What colour doe it make? scratch
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 2:57 am

Because I am not scientifically apt I can only quote the following, but can guarantee from experience that the two do not mix, to my financial detriment.

I went to Everette in WA and imported a diesel launch that had pink fluid in it and thought, how nice, must be something to do with the ladies cancer promotion, and promptly added out own , green anti freeze top up. Just to be sure, it is NOT a good idea.

You can always Google it !!

I cant remember the what it looked like as I was too busy cleaning it out. Not a good day for me .

Q: Can I mix green coolant with orange coolant?
This is one of those questions usually asked after the fact, and usually engine damage has already occurred. The green and orange coolants do not mix. When mixed together they form a gel-like substance that stops coolant flow and consequently the engine overheats.

What exactly happens when these coolants are mixed?
The coolants chemically react and form a gel rather than a liquid. The coolant stops flowing through the system, clogs up coolant passageways and water jackets, radiators, and heater cores. The water pump overheats and fails due to a lack of lubricant in the coolant. Head gaskets blow, heads warp, and the engine suffers major damage.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 9:52 am

MY BAD, having never used the orange DEX-COOL maybe why I did't know that it could cause a problem, this was a GM product designed for a long run between changes, apparently doesn't play well with the others. The last sentence in the post is the important part.
I did go to the shop and re read the container labels and they stated mixes with all anti freezes, I just looked at all 7 gallons of my antifreeze it's ALL ethyl glycol REGARDLESS OF BRAND, apparently the new stuff is all the same kind despite a color difference.

From a little reasearch I find this -------dexcool contains ethyl glycol in it contrary to what you have read. there are two kinds of chemicals that give coolant its antifreeze properties. ethyl glycol and propylene glycol. the advantage of propylene glycol is its low toxicity. its used in soaps, deodorants, shampoos, lotions etc. its disadvantage is its antifreeze and boil over properties are less than that of ethyl glycol. the other difference in conventional green coolant and dexcool is how each of them prevent corrosion. OAT coolants use organic acids to prevent corrosion it forms a chemical bond with the metal and gives anticorrosive properties. the advantage to that is better coolant flow and no layer of silicates to "insulate" the metal from the coolant. conventional green antifreeze main corrosion inhibitor are silicates. they coat the metal and prevent corrosion that way. but over time something called silicate dropout happens as these pellets of silicates that have dropped out circulate through the cooling system they pelt water pump seals and bearings and over time have an abrasive effect. that's why OAT coolants were invented to extend drain intervals and increase water pump life. while silicate coolants protect almost immediately the OAT coolants corrosion inhibitors take more time to bond with the metal. when they do in theory the heat transfer properties are better they contain no abrasives, and the drain intervals are longer. the reason you shouldn't mix dexcool (OAT coolant) with a conventional green is the chemicals in the OAT coolant and the silicates in the conventional green coolant don't react well to one another and can cause a host of other problems. that's why they say if you decide to go to conventional green get ALL of the dexcool out.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 10:46 pm

I changed my coolant early this year. Only 20K on it but 5 years so decided to change it.  Bought a jug of silicate free coolant and did the deed.  Fairly easy and now I am good for several more years.  I can't remember the brand but it was a name I recognized and said it is good for 10 years / 100K. We shall see.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 1:24 pm

In my previous shop I replaced a couplel Goldwing coolant pumps. There's a weep hole under the pump casting that will allow coolant to seep out when the pump seal is failing. It's there to show when a seal is failing. I came across an owner's 'fix' on a GL1100 where the weep hole had been plugged with JB Weld epoxy. I suppose it stopped the dripping for a little while but the failing seal allowed coolant to intermix with engine oil. It left a brown fudgy looking oil on the dipstick and there was visible oil in the coolant when one opened the radiator cap. I don't know for certain if it was age or the use of silicate containing coolant that did the damage but the fellow was using a silicate coolant contrary to what Honda recommends.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding antifreeze coolant   Adding antifreeze coolant I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adding antifreeze coolant
Page 1 of 1