Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What type of coolant to use?

Go down 
+2
john grinsel
russcarver
6 posters
AuthorMessage
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-04-14

What type of coolant to use? Empty
PostSubject: What type of coolant to use?   What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm going to be replacing my coolant soon. Does anyone have any advice on which coolant to use? Also, does anyone know how to get a "new sealing washer" as described in the service manual (part #, cost, etc...)?

--Russ
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What type of coolant to use?   What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 4:39 pm

Simple---got to a Honda bike dealer and buy the right stuff, I think it can help avoid future water pump problems. They, parts, should be able to answer you other question.

John Grinsel Paying a little more for something done every 2 years or so= so what.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: What type of coolant to use?   What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:24 pm

russcarver wrote:
I'm going to be replacing my coolant soon. Does anyone have any advice on which coolant to use? Also, does anyone know how to get a "new sealing washer" as described in the service manual (part #, cost, etc...)?

--Russ

The specs are something with silicate-free corrosion inhibitors - the coolant jug will say (I used Prestone). The usual 50/50 mix applies, always try to use distilled water. The sealing washer is probably only a couple dollars, but I didn't replace mine when I did it (my opinion is that it's one of those it-will-probably-last-a-couple-of-changes-even-though-they-say-to-replace-it-every-time parts Smile ).
Back to top Go down
mikef
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikef

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: What type of coolant to use?   What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:00 pm

edbancro wrote:
russcarver wrote:

--Russ

The specs are something with silicate-free corrosion inhibitors - the coolant jug will say (I used Prestone). The usual 50/50 mix applies, always try to use distilled water. The sealing washer is probably only a couple dollars, but I didn't replace mine when I did it (my opinion is that it's one of those it-will-probably-last-a-couple-of-changes-even-though-they-say-to-replace-it-every-time parts Smile ).

I use the same stuff, both in the Silverwing and the Goldwing. Same thing with the sealing washer. Maybe next time?
Back to top Go down
RNoodle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RNoodle

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-11-02

PostSubject: Re: What type of coolant to use?   What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Can anyone give some go by tips on how to change the coolant and brake fluid? Of course pics would be great. I'm moderately mechanically capable but don't have a garage full of tools. Is this a realistic DIY project? Also, in the spirit of being environmentally friendly, where do you dispose of old coolant and brake fluid? Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
mikef
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikef

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: What type of coolant to use?   What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:21 pm

It is definately a DIY project. The fluid can be drained from the left side of the engine, after removing some plastic. For the brakes, I use a MinVac, purchased from just about anywhere. Got mine from Harbor Freight. Just connect to the bleeder on the calipers and draw the fluid through, making sure you keep topping off the fluid in the master cylinders. I do this after changing brake pads. That way, my fluid never really getts old.

A manual would be a good investment, but I think if you do a search in the forum, you may find location and directions for changing the antifreeze. I did this, before I got my manual.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What type of coolant to use?   What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 12:26 am

I'm not sure about the coolant pump in the SW but the Honda Goldwing manual calls for non-silicate coolant. Silicates can chew the main seal in the pump over time. I suspect the same is true of the SW. Prestone Extended Life 50/150 antifreeze is silicate free. Also Peak antifreeze Long Life antifreeze is silicate free. If in doubt google the manufacturer for that info. I always buy full strength antifreeze and a gallon of distilled water. You get a lot more coolant for the money that way compared to premix.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What type of coolant to use?   What type of coolant to use? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What type of coolant to use?
Page 1 of 1