Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

happy with new tire combination

Go down 
+2
arskal
john grinsel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

happy with new tire combination Empty
PostSubject: happy with new tire combination   happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 11, 2017 1:22 pm

I am happy with new tire combination:

Michelin Power Pure SC, rear---have had these before on both SilverWing and Burgman 400=handle fine, WEAR ROUND and last around 10,000 miles on rear. Use 33PSI/cold.

Front: Michelin Feel Free, made in Brazil, works fine, 29 psi cold, tracks well, nice ride.

Both balanced with Ride On.

Tested at 75 mph Freeway, country roads, both light and super heavy rain. ok around town. Wet road performance=fine.
Back to top Go down
arskal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arskal

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2017-07-13

PostSubject: Re: happy with new tire combination   happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 11, 2017 2:34 pm

In my previous scooter, Jonway 250, were these Michelin tyres. Incredibly grip and smooth to ride.
These tires have one feature. When a road grader has scraped the road, these tires follow these grooves. It causes little thrembling
In my current scooter Honda SW-T600 there is Michelin Power Pure SC in front and this tire behaves exactly the same way as Jonway. The previoius owner of Honda SW-T installed this tyre before I bought this bike.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: happy with new tire combination   happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 11, 2017 7:42 pm

SilverWing has severe rear weight bias....so front end light feeling in certain conditions, regardless of tire make or design....then the scooter feet forward riding position....no foot pegs or tank to grip with knees----takes far more skill to ride maxi-scooter than it does reg. motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: happy with new tire combination   happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 11, 2017 8:17 pm

I made mistake: front is Metzeler Feel Free, not Michelin.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: happy with new tire combination   happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 12, 2017 2:24 am

I fitted Continental ContiMove 365 all season tyres to my Silver Wing last year and there's not much to say. I'm satisfied with my choice, they have good road adhesion, disperse rain water efficiently, and don't have any pretensions to be anything other than a normal set of maxi scooter tyres with a weird looking tread pattern.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: happy with new tire combination   happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 12, 2017 5:03 am

Meldrew wrote:
I fitted Continental ContiMove 365 all season tyres to my Silver Wing last year and there's not much to say. I'm satisfied with my choice, they have good road adhesion, disperse rain water efficiently, and don't have any pretensions to be anything other than a normal set of maxi scooter tyres with a weird looking tread pattern.

I considered those but went with the Metzeler Feel Free Wintecs (an all year round tyre also).

I am NOT satisfied with them as the quality of construction seems poor. Both the tyres are out of round. Just after fitting, I spun the wheels round by hand and both had noticable flat spots. Having said that, no vibration was felt initially.

The construction of the tyres seems rock-hard - maybe too hard?

Wet and dry adhesion is good and they seem to be wearing quite well.

As the tyres wore in, the front end began to shimmy at low speed. It increased gradually over a period of time. It could be caused by my steering head bearings which had a *very* slight notch in the straight ahead position (14k miles on the bike!). I'm currently in the process of replacing them with taper roller bearings, so it will be interesting to see how it feels after that.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: happy with new tire combination   happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 13, 2017 5:25 am

I'd read previous posts about the Metzeler Feel Frees on Silver Wings from Old Limey, and The Bern (hi bud!), and I've used other Metzeler tyres on BMW's and MZ's in my biker days. I wanted to try all season tyres and chose Conti's mainly because no one had mentioned fitting them to a Silver Wing before, and of course they're weird ass looking.

Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: happy with new tire combination   happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

I do love Michelin tire on my BMWs but for the Money Pirelli Diablo tires are really working outstanding on my Swing. Better corning.
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

PostSubject: Re: happy with new tire combination   happy with new tire combination I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 15, 2017 1:52 am

The Pirelli's are working for me too, a huge improvement over the Bridgestone Hoops.
Excellent in the wet and sure footed around the mountains here, even in winter.
Back to top Go down

happy with new tire combination
Page 1 of 1