Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Longevity of the Silverwing

Go down 
+5
lloyd193
exavid
john grinsel
Mighty Mouse
Modernman1953
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

Longevity of the Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 11:54 pm

Longevity of the Silverwing.  

I have read stories about Silverwings going over 100,000 miles and more.  I saw a picture on Facebook of one with exactly 100,000 miles on the speedo.

If you have exactly 100,000 miles on the speedo, how many actual miles has that scooter run?  

I have an acquaintance of mine that bought a Silverwing motor from me, as his Silverwing motor quit on him at 80,000 miles.  

My 05 only has 10,000 miles on it.  I believe it will be my last motorcycle.  I love the step though design, the storage and the ease of use. I hope it goes until I get hit in the face with the first shovel of dirt. I don't care what the resale value of these are.

John speaks of having two and one that went 50,000 miles before he sold it.  

Who else has proud miles?  How long have you had it?  How long do you see yourself keeping it?

Who wishes they never bought it?
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 1:25 am

I have a 2012 with just over 50 000 miles and climbing fast. I reckon I can safely do around 65 000 before the repairs start outweighing the cost of replacing it with something new. Having looked around at Burgmans and Honda Integra, would you believe I'm planning to replace with another Silverwing?? I just don't see anything which is currently available, beating the functionality of the Swing! (And as the shopper in the family, I love the packing space which no other bike has). Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 7:34 am

John's second one approaching 50,000 miles too. There will not be a third....but really nothing new/different/no buffeting on market. Already had 2 new Burgman 400's, which I like but CVT not as nice or reliable as Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 11:00 am

Mighty Mouse wrote:
I have a 2012 with just over 50 000 miles and climbing fast. I reckon I can safely do around 65 000 before the repairs start outweighing the cost of replacing it with something new. Having looked around at Burgmans and Honda Integra, would you believe I'm planning to replace with another Silverwing?? I just don't see anything which is currently available, beating the functionality of the Swing! (And as the shopper in the family, I love the packing space which no other bike has). Smile Smile

There was an 05 on Craigslist in the Seattle area that had less than a 900 miles on it. There are plenty of low mileage Silverwings out there.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 11:04 am

john grinsel wrote:
John's second one approaching 50,000 miles too.  There will not be a third....but really nothing new/different/no buffeting on market.  Already had 2 new Burgman 400's, which I like but CVT not as nice or reliable as Silverwing.

John,

Since the resale value is way off on these, I don't see why you wouldn't keep it and just see how far it would go.  

Just treat it like you stole it and see how far it will take you.   The amount of miles you do, it would be fun to watch you rack up the miles.  You could go down in Silverwing lore as the rider who wouldn't quit.  

There are several Goldwing guys who have 500,000 miles on their Goldwing.  

John, here is your challenge.  From one old fart to another:  0 to 250,000 miles in rubber boots riding a rubber band powered motorcycle.

100,000 smiles and 50,000 frown/growls, all on that dependable Silverwing scooter and the only thing he had to replace was his rubber boots.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 12:59 pm

But I just do not like the hassle of have anything break on long tours...delay.....and as long as I can afford it, I like riding new bikes/scooters. Since I sold my TU250, I am down to one scooter. But in July new bike/scooter coming. Now after 9 rubber band drive scooters since 1990 and about 400,000 miles I am tired of belt replacement, not to mention the cost----reg bike open chain I can get at least 40,000 miles from chain and sprockets, replacing with non-O ring chain.
Secret=lots of motor oil on chain

Real big blow up, just leave bike, rent car to get home.

Warranty big savings for me in the long run.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 3:26 pm

john grinsel wrote:
But I just do not like the hassle of have anything break on long tours...delay.....and as long as I can afford it, I like riding new bikes/scooters.  Since I sold my TU250, I am down to one scooter. But in July new bike/scooter coming.   Now after 9 rubber band drive scooters since 1990 and about 400,000 miles I am tired of belt replacement, not to mention the cost----reg bike open chain I can get at least 40,000 miles from chain and sprockets, replacing with non-O ring chain.  
Secret=lots of motor oil on chain

Real big blow up, just leave bike, rent car to get home.

Warranty big savings for me in the long run.

That all makes perfect sense to me.

Keep coming back after you get rid of the SWing.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2017 1:35 am

I don't mind working on bikes so mileage isn't a big deal. The Silverwing isn't difficult to work on either, especially if you have a Harbor Freight bike lift. The only drawback to that is I seem to do all the oil changes on a couple friend's Silverwings. Just kidding I don't mind. Oil changes are simpler on the SW and my GT.
If you don't mind doing your own work, I doubt there's a limit to how long a Silverwing can last. The main limitation is how long it's possible to get replacement parts. So far parts are easily available from several online sources. It doesn't take a big layout of tools either. Just buy the ones you need from Harbor Freight. Cheap and functional. Service manuals are still available brand new from Helm Inc. online.
Stock up on some expendables, like brake pads, a spare belt, spare bulbs and such and the SW can last forever. Oh year, don't forget eBay, lots of spares there, one can even find a used replacement engine if needed.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Modernman1953 wrote:
Longevity of the Silverwing.  

I have read stories about Silverwings going over 100,000 miles and more.  I saw a picture on Facebook of one with exactly 100,000 miles on the speedo.

If you have exactly 100,000 miles on the speedo, how many actual miles has that scooter run?  

I have an acquaintance of mine that bought a Silverwing motor from me, as his Silverwing motor quit on him at 80,000 miles.  

My 05 only has 10,000 miles on it.  I believe it will be my last motorcycle.  I love the step though design, the storage and the ease of use.  I hope it goes until I get hit in the face with the first shovel of dirt.  I don't care what the resale value of these are.

John speaks of having two and one that went 50,000 miles before he sold it.  

Who else has proud miles?  How long have you had it?  How long do you see yourself keeping it?

Who wishes they never bought it?
Modernman 1953, One of my Silver wing aquantiences who lived in Canada and wintered in Tampa Florida came here every May with his 02 Silverwing for a new rear Tire for his ride back to Canada, Every other year I would replace Front and rear. The last time I saw the bike it had turned 132 thousand miles. They really last if taken proper care of. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 3:51 pm

My 2005 Silverwing just turned up 62000 and runs like a champ. It has been an excellent ride and have only done the scheduled maintenance as have had no problems with it. It is like your car, if you take care of it and maintain it properly, it will serve you well for lots and lots of trouble free riding. I think the main thing it is like an airplane -- and I was in Aviation for 40 years -- it is preventive maintenance. Change our the things that need to be changed before you have too. I believe these will run forever if properly maintained. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! By the way, it still does not use any oil between changes. And oh yes, preventive maintenance does cost money but it keeps you on the road and not needing to be hauled in because you let something go and find yourself sitting on the side of the road broke down.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 4:00 pm

I say...take care of them, spend the money to fix right and they will go a long time---One of the pleasures in my life is getting a new bike(had over 75)....so 50,000 miles is when I like to trade/get something else.
Treat them for what they are---big/overweight SCOOTER that works pretty well.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Scooters can last just like axes do. Just replace the head and handle as needed and an axe will last forever.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 8:27 pm

There was one sold on eBay last year had done 175,000 miles

JB
Back to top Go down
DodgetheRog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DodgetheRog

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 5:44 am

IMO, it's a Honda, so you shouldn't have any problems.

I bought a CBR600 for £850 with 35,000 on the clock. Over the next four years, I took it up to 110,000 changing nothing but consumables. The only part I had to replace was the Reg/Rec when it burnt out. I replaced it with one from a 1980s Superdream 250 (required a bit of cutting and splicing) which ran absolutely fine right up to when I sold the bike (for £300!).

Pretty much ALL my Hondas over the years have been reliable, needing not much more than tyres, oil, pads, C&S etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.krfitness.co.uk
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 11:45 am

It's a Honda!

I just bought a Honda generator made in the 1980's. Runs quiet and starts with the first pull. Looks like new.

My 05 Silverwing with 10,000 miles kinda looks like it went through a sand storm and survived, but it runs great and I look to keep it for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 5:40 pm

What DaveR said is true. Fresh fluids and proper maintenance is the key.
Engine turns a lot of RPMs lives above 4 thousand most of time. Fresh , proper oil reduces wear.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 6:20 pm

My 2005 Silverwing with 62000 well maintained smiles is still for sale at $2495 dollars. Everything including the paint etc. is very nice and good. Has all the extras up graded Hyper Pro springs in front etc. and sliders in the CVT. It should run another 62000 with no problems if "properly maintained."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Longevity of the Silverwing   Longevity of the Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Longevity of the Silverwing
Page 1 of 1