Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Longevity! I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Longevity! I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Longevity! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Longevity! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Longevity! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Longevity! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Longevity! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Longevity! I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Longevity! I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Longevity! I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Longevity!

Go down 
+3
Kenjj50
"Hi Yo"
dspevack
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Longevity! Empty
PostSubject: Longevity!   Longevity! I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm not here much anymore since I switched to the Honda NM4.
I guess old habits die hard and my knowledge is still occasionally useful here.

I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on the longevity of both the bike and this website.
It amazes me how much interest there still is in the non-T series Silverwing.

Silverwing owners are really lucky that in addition to a great dealer network there is so much aftermarket support and so many aftermarket products available to make the Silverwing into anything owners want it to be.  

Its a testament to the quality and engineering of the product that new first-time buyers are still attracted to a product that hasn't been brought into the USA new for a few years, and that so many of these scooters are giving second and third owners many quality years of service.

And its proof that this website hasn't suffered over time that people are still finding the quality and content here to be such a valuable resource.

If I were to go back to a scooter for any reason, another Silverwing would be like meeting up with an old friend.

Take a moment to smile, and be happy and proud of your choice!   applause  Cool

Dan
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Longevity! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Longevity! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Longevity!   Longevity! I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 2:36 pm

Smiling and happy. Smile small moped Smile
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

Longevity! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Longevity!   Longevity! I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 7:40 pm

Nice to hear from you. I don't suppose it would be sacrilege to hear how you're liking your NM4. It IS a Honda and it has a lot of scooter characteristics. I have to admit, it is an interesting design.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Longevity! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Longevity!   Longevity! I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 8:27 pm

I love my nm4.  Like the Silverwing I have customized it for my needs.
Also the low seat height is better suited to my short stature.

Stock, the built in panniers are a joke, but I've learned how to pack them.
That plus a top case gives me not quite the same storage as the wing but enough.
Having put so many options on the wing, I knew what options I wanted on my bike from the get go.
I didn't have to do a lot of experimentation.
I could purchase the items I wanted and have the mechanic install them en mass, saving me good money on the install.
Plus some of the items I installed I brought over from the wing, saving more money.

Its not my main source of transportation, but I do ride often.  Locally parking is tough in malls.
Not only are parking spaces single lined between them, but people don't seem to care about putting the cars in a single space.  So weather permitting and assuming I don't need to purchase anything big the bike is the best option since it can fit in a space next to disrespectful parkers.

Being that everything is nearby where I live, I don't put a lot of miles on the bike because most of my travels are less than 3 miles each way. I've put around 4000 miles on the bike and a large chunk of that was driving it home from the dealer in Winston-Salem NC to North Miami Beach Fl. (about 800 miles).

Like you said, it IS a Honda, with all the reliability that implies.
I get a lot of comments from people when I ride, and when I park it on Miami Beach and go across the street for a meal the bike is in view.  I see a lot of people taking pictures of it.

All in all, no regrets moving on from a Silverwing.  I got rid of the remains of my Silverwing when I couldn't ride for over a year and then came back to find the bike rusted beyond repair.  A used wing would have cost me 1/3 the price of a new nm4, but then I would still have the problem of seat height. Also I wouldn't be experiencing something "new".

The reason I purchased the Silverwing in the first place is because I wanted a decent size bike with storage for interstate travel, but I don't like shifting.  Back in 2003-04 when I purchased the wing the only motorcycle with no shifting available was the Ridley.  Ridley was rated as underpowered, had a cvt transmission, and had no decent dealer network so I wasn't interested.  Ridley filed for bankruptcy back in 2009 so I made the right decision.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Longevity! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Longevity!   Longevity! I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 2:05 am

Dan,

I also miss my SWing at times. I really miss the storage and the wind management. I have the tallest screen available for the CTX and it still doesn't come close to the SWing with the Givi Airflow. The SWing gave me such a nice very quiet ride. The CTX wind management is good but not as nice as the Swing with the AF. But I do think the CTX rides a bit smoother and since your bike and the CTX is just about the same bike, other than looks, I'm sure yours is very smooth too.

But the SWing is a great bike and I do miss it. I wish they would come out with a new improved SWing since I do think it would sell. And this site continues to be popular and when I do a search for Silverwing sites on the web it seems this is the only one. The .org site can be read and I think there is a SWing site in Italy. But the members have been great since day one on this site and you should be proud since you basically built the .org site to what it was. why John Gordon did to you what he did was horrible. But that just made it possible for you to come on as a great mod on this site. I sat on a NM4 about a month ago and I thought it was comfortable and I have always liked the looks of the bike.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Longevity! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Longevity!   Longevity! I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 8:29 am

Jeff, I have a close friend that traded his SWing for a CTX as well. I have ridden it and prefer the scooter. The CTX handles a bit better but the SWing is quieter and much more comfortable, at least for me. My buddy likes the CTX too but has commented more than once that he wishes he had kept the Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Longevity! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Longevity!   Longevity! I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 11:20 am

SilverWing has been around for a long time and will continue to be for the future....in spite of not being offered on US market anymore. Two reasons: #1 still plenty of new ones gathering dust on dealer showrooms. #2 bottom has fallen out of used scooter market, so used are cheap. I am not SilverWing freak, second new one---they are trouble free if left alone and ridden like scooter. There won't be a third, still 20,000 miles or so to go before I trade. Market pretty thin in US for what is available new on US market---so lots of thought will go into next bike/scooter.....SR400 Yamaha would suit me....maybe Honda Forza, or third new Burgman 400. If my miles go down and liking to live with no dealers, actually like Vespas, had 4 in past.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Longevity! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Longevity!   Longevity! I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 11:32 am

Nice to see you Dan and I'm glad that you like your NM4. I have to tell you that when I bought my first Swing in 2008, it was you that provided the inspiration and knowledge to install the performance upgrades I put on both of my bikes. And while my Swing continues to perform flawlessly and provides abundant joy, I still dream about adding a bike with a bit more zip to my garage...
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Longevity! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Longevity!   Longevity! I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 12:45 pm

The Scootist wrote:
Nice to see you Dan and I'm glad that you like your NM4.  I have to tell you that when I bought my first Swing in 2008, it was you that provided the inspiration and knowledge to install the performance upgrades I put on both of my bikes.  And while my Swing continues to perform flawlessly and provides abundant joy, I still dream about adding a bike with a bit more zip to my garage...  

Glad I could help Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Longevity! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Longevity!   Longevity! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Longevity!
Page 1 of 1