Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.
 
HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2012 SW for sale in Dallas Ft Worth area.
by johnd Yesterday at 22:56

» Ignition coil replacement
by SteveSilverWing Yesterday at 22:06

» Intermittent engine stall
by SteveSilverWing Yesterday at 21:03

» OEM AIR FILTER Fit Between ABS/Non-ABS version
by Meldrew Yesterday at 16:49

» almost .. refusal to start
by john grinsel Yesterday at 14:42

» Instability in wet weather
by The Bern Yesterday at 14:12

» Headlight Low Beam (upper) Bulb Removal and Replacment
by bikehiker Yesterday at 14:06

» I sell gas powered springs for Silver Wing saddle opening
by Cosmic_Jumper Sat 23 Sep 2017, 19:17

» The rich lady and the Rolls
by "Hi Yo" Sat 23 Sep 2017, 17:31

» drive belt measure tool
by Dave Weller Sat 23 Sep 2017, 15:23

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 
Share | 
 

 Starter switch problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 43
Age : 61
Location : Arkansas
Points : 217
Registration date : 2017-04-23

PostSubject: Starter switch problems   Wed 03 May 2017, 13:17

Right side switch, includes throttle cable, and starter switch, kill switch.

Issue am having is the starter switch seams to be sticky of wore out.

Symptoms: lights wont come back on after engine starts.

Attempted fix: sprayed inside the housing with dielectric cleaner.

Scenario: The switch is a micro switch cant get inside the micro switch. sprayed with dielectric cleaner as best as could working the switch.

Tech: the Micro switch when engaging the starter will kill the lights so as to send most battery power to starter, and when released the lights come back on,

ONLY problem am having is lights wont come back on, BUT all i have to do is nudge the switch and they work.

anyone else had this issue? i cant seam to fine a replacement part. google just finds used parts anyone know the part number? cant find it in the manual.
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider


Number of posts : 50
Location : Chatham Kent UK
Points : 2208
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Wed 03 May 2017, 14:33

Its a common problem on the CBF600 and CBF1000 models, I got mine working again by pulling the starter switch back and the headlight come back on, then sprayed some ACF50 on the switch.
Its been now working fine on my CBF600
When I initially pulled the switch lever back it sounded like a bit of grit was crunched, guess they are a bit exposed.
Some say the wire in the switch heats up and the solder melts.
Regards
Dave
PS. The Parking light Micro switch on the handbrake of my Silverwing was fixed using ACF50 which is a good penetrating oil and metal preservative.
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 43
Age : 61
Location : Arkansas
Points : 217
Registration date : 2017-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Thu 04 May 2017, 15:03

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2071
Age : 74
Location : Medford, Oregon
Points : 5165
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Thu 04 May 2017, 20:12

Some contact cleaner and compressed air might help.
Try Motogrid, they still show the switch and cable available.

http://www.motogrid.com/OEMpartfinder.htm?aribrand=HOM#/Honda/FSC600DAC_(07)_SILVER_WING,_JPN,_VIN%23_JH2PF011-7K500001_TO_JH2PF011-7K599999/SWITCH_+_CABLE/FSC600D-07-JPN-AC/2Y14MCT601AMCTAF0300BB
Back to top Go down
siataukreg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 94
Age : 63
Location : uk saddleworth
Points : 1253
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Mon 15 May 2017, 03:50

if its the same switch assy. as used in uk i have one compete from a 2003 scoot that i have broken up for spares
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 2358
Age : 74
Location : damn near Philadelphia, PA
Points : 5745
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Mon 15 May 2017, 11:13

siataukreg wrote:
if its the same switch assy. as used in uk i have one compete from a 2003 scoot that i have broken up for spares
 
Do the FJS models have an "extra" switch on the right side? Our FSC models only have the Run/Stop switch as well as the Start switch on the throttle side. However there is a blank spot between those two switches on that housing which might be intended for a 3rd switch.

If the FJS models have a 3rd switch at that location I'd be curious about the availability a throttle side switch housing & switch assy.

Tim
Back to top Go down
siataukreg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 94
Age : 63
Location : uk saddleworth
Points : 1253
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Mon 15 May 2017, 18:33

no they are the same switch as yours starter and kill switch only
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 2358
Age : 74
Location : damn near Philadelphia, PA
Points : 5745
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Mon 15 May 2017, 18:40

While that's not the answer I wanted to hear, but thanks for your reply.
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider


Number of posts : 50
Location : Chatham Kent UK
Points : 2208
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:03

Update, Red and Black wire on the starter switch broke away, so soldered it back on.
Back to top Go down
siataukreg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 94
Age : 63
Location : uk saddleworth
Points : 1253
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Thu 06 Jul 2017, 18:27

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
siataukreg wrote:
if its the same switch assy. as used in uk i have one compete from a 2003 scoot that i have broken up for spares
 
Do the FJS models have an "extra" switch on the right side? Our FSC models only have the Run/Stop switch as well as the Start switch on the throttle side. However there is a blank spot between those two switches on that housing which might be intended for a 3rd switch.

If the FJS models have a 3rd switch at that location I'd be curious about the availability a throttle side switch housing & switch assy.

Tim

The blank place is for a lights switch early ones had off,side,headlamp switch i only found out because i just broke up a 2001 fjs600 and there it is
Back to top Go down
siataukreg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 94
Age : 63
Location : uk saddleworth
Points : 1253
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Thu 06 Jul 2017, 18:29

if you want one i have one
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 178
Age : 77
Location : Orlando Fl. USA
Points : 330
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Sat 08 Jul 2017, 19:53

Dave Weller wrote:
Its a common problem on the CBF600 and CBF1000 models, I got mine working again by pulling the starter switch back and the headlight come back on, then sprayed some ACF50 on the switch.
Its been now working fine on my CBF600
When I initially pulled the switch lever back it sounded like a bit of grit was crunched, guess they are a bit exposed.
Some say the wire in the switch heats up and the solder melts.
Regards
Dave
PS. The Parking light Micro switch on the handbrake of my Silverwing was fixed using ACF50 which is a good penetrating oil and metal preservative.  


Dave you can save that starter switch by using the following procedure when starting, Turn on your key switch, Press the start button on the right handlebar, Holding it down. Then press the rear brake handle. The start Electrical arc is moved from the start switch to the brake light switch, An easy thing to replace, However, They very seldom fail and this system has worked for years on dozens of silver wings with millions of starts and very few failures. Disassembling the right handlebar switch to get that headlight working and stop the starter spinning in the dark is no fun. Practice the method I have explained and it will soon become automatic. I realize Honda does not write this procedure up in their publications, Some of us old timers have developed many things that Honda did not write up. Happy Motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 178
Age : 77
Location : Orlando Fl. USA
Points : 330
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Starter switch problems   Sat 08 Jul 2017, 19:57

RazorbackUofA wrote:
Right side switch, includes throttle cable, and starter switch, kill switch.

Issue am having is the starter switch seams to be sticky of wore out.

Symptoms: lights wont come back on after engine starts.

Attempted fix: sprayed inside the housing with dielectric cleaner.

Scenario: The switch is a micro switch cant get inside the micro switch. sprayed with dielectric cleaner as best as could working the switch.

Tech:  the Micro switch when engaging the starter will kill the lights so as to send most battery power to starter, and when released the lights come back on,

ONLY problem am having is lights wont come back on, BUT all i have to do is nudge the switch and they work.



anyone else had this issue? i cant seam to fine a replacement part. google just finds used parts anyone know the part number? cant find it in the manual.

See my response to Dave Weller. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
 
Starter switch problems
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Broken starter switch
» starter problems
» Problems with starting "ground not to the starter relay"
» vtx 1800 starter
» VW T5 starting problems

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: