Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Low or dead battery?

Go down 
+2
lloyd193
carolina wing rider
6 posters
AuthorMessage
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Low or dead battery? Empty
PostSubject: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 12:47 pm

This device is AWESOME. Sooner or later most of us will experience a low or dead battery on our scooter. When I first saw this I had my serious doubts about it but was I ever wrong, surprised, and IMPRESSED. This thing is about the size of a smart phone so you should be able to find room for it. Not only will this thing start any motorcycle or ATV but it has enough power to start your car or truck too. It is the amazing Schumacher Red Fuel jump starter. Check this thing out on ebay...item # 182809763107. Be sure to read the reviews and you will see that I am not the only one that trusts this baby. I never leave home without it. Ride Often !
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 12:57 pm

carolina wing rider wrote:
This device is AWESOME. Sooner or later most of us will experience a low or dead battery on our scooter. When I first saw this I had my serious doubts about it but was I ever wrong, surprised, and IMPRESSED. This thing is about the size of a smart phone so you should be able to find room for it. Not only will this thing start any motorcycle or ATV but it has enough power to start your car or truck too. It is the amazing Schumacher Red Fuel jump starter. Check this thing out on ebay...item # 182809763107. Be sure to read the reviews and you will see that I am not the only one that trusts this baby. I never leave home without it. Ride Often !

Great advise,

This devise or a compact set of jumper cables will save the day.

Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Battery woes...   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 pm

I also carry a compact set of "motorcycle jumper cables" just in case. These items are well worth the amount of storage they consume.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Jumper cables can be useful. But never jump start from a running car. Cars charging system puts out a lot more AMPs than a bike it can overload and cause damage. Bike to bike is OK.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Jumper cables can be useful. But never jump start from a running car. Cars charging system puts out a lot more AMPs than a bike it can overload and cause damage.  Bike to bike is OK.

Build yourself a set of jumper cables using 14 Ga wire, I recommend 14 feet long with 25 amp alligator clips on the ends.

Store in a zip lock bag.

Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 am

lloyd193 wrote:
Mech 1 twa wrote:
Jumper cables can be useful. But never jump start from a running car. Cars charging system puts out a lot more AMPs than a bike it can overload and cause damage.  Bike to bike is OK.

Build yourself a set of jumper cables using 14 Ga wire, I recommend 14 feet long with 25 amp alligator clips on the ends.

Store in a zip lock bag.

Lloyd 193.

That's how I first started my 08 SWing after I got it home. I used regular jumper cables seeing as I hadn't made any for the SWing, and still haven't but that will change.

Anyway, I pulled my pickup up close to the garage and shut it off and hooked up the cables. I originally wanted to just test the lights to make sure they all worked, which they did. Then I thought, "What the heck" and hit the starter. She turned over about 3 times and fired right off with no smoke or missing and purred like a kitten. I figure the SWing thought it had the biggest battery in the universe being hooked up to the truck. Once I got the "real" battery for it I charged it up and put it in the compartment. By that time I'd done all the other stuff to it that I had to to get her road worthy and went for a spin. It had 1/2 a tank of two year old gas in it so I dumped about 1/2 can of Seafoam in and filled it up at the gas station and went riding around town to get the feel of it. Haven't had a problem with it since.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Dead battery   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 1:36 am

My son started a V6 Toyota Camry today with my Red Fuel jump start tool. Proof again that this tool WORKS.........

[Admin edit:] https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Schumacher-RedFuel-Jump-Starter-SL161-Red-Fuel-Jumpstarter-SL-161/182809763107?epid=2014052254&hash=item2a904f9d23:g:JyEAAOSwIaFZJzsQ
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 5:08 pm

carolina wing rider wrote:
My son started a V6 Toyota Camry today with my Red Fuel jump start tool. Proof again that this tool WORKS.........

[Admin edit:] https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Schumacher-RedFuel-Jump-Starter-SL161-Red-Fuel-Jumpstarter-SL-161/182809763107?epid=2014052254&hash=item2a904f9d23:g:JyEAAOSwIaFZJzsQ

These Lithium Ion starters have come down in price, and are well worth the money. Perfect for Swing. I have had another brand for a few years and it has served well. I paid about $69 back then. Only need to charge them up about every two or three months. If the Red Fuel can start a Camry, it will start your Swing.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks for the info and link guys. I just ordered one just to be on the safe side and maybe help some other biker who might have a dead battery. My Battery Tender Lithium Ion battery is still good but you never can tell. Better to be safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Dead battery   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Dale you won't regret your purchase. For it's small size this device packs a punch. Hopefully you will never need it out there on an adventure but it is comforting to know that you won't have to call anyone for help..........you'll be able to handle it yourself. Ride Often (ASAP).
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 pm

I got my RedFuel charger today. It was totally dead so I put it on its charger and let it charge. It's a nice little unit and looks like it will do the job. I'll pack it in the SWing and have it if I ever need it.

Thanks again for the link and info about it.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Red Fuel Starter   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 1:36 am

Dale you are welcome. I hope it serves you well but I also hope you never have to use it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 2:20 am

These starter/power boosters aren't exclusively for starting vehicles with flat batteries.

I've seen ones with a LED light, strobe, and various charging ports to use with a selection of adaptors and leads for recharging smart phones, GPS, cameras, tablets, etc, or supplying power to an electric cool box.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 3:25 am

Correct Meldrew. This one has two USB ports and a "flashlight". The flashlight is similar to the flashlight on a cell phone. It's not very bright but will do in a pinch at night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low or dead battery?   Low or dead battery? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Low or dead battery?
Page 1 of 1