Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Blowing headlight fuse

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bluboy4
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-05-16

Blowing headlight fuse Empty
PostSubject: Blowing headlight fuse   Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2015 11:48 am

I've been blowing a lot of headlight fuses lately. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it?
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: PostSubject: Blowing headlight fuse   Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2015 1:08 pm

I can't say that I have heard of this being a common problem. I would start looking at the areas that might have been removed or some other work done. Other wise you might have to start looking at probable areas like below the steering column and just following the wiring from the fuse to the lights. Let us know so we can all benefit. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Blowing headlight fuse   Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Back tracking from the Lo beam hot wire (White) the circuit goes to the Dimmer switch. The Dimmer is fed by the Blue/White (Bu/W) wire which comes from the headlight interrupt switch on the Starter Switch. The interrupt switch is fed by Black/Red (Bl/R) wire which comes from the headlight fuse and also connects with the Lo Beam Relay and exits the relay as the White wire.

I hope I got that right. Sounds a bit confusing to me too. So check the Dimmer switch, the Interrupt switch function of the Starter Switch and do a continuity check from the Bl/R wire at the fuse block forward to the W wire at the headlight terminal. Pay particular attention to the wiring from the handlebar switches and where that wiring may come in contact with the steering stem when the handle bars move.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how you get on with this problem. We all benefit from feedback.

Tim
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Blowing headlight fuse   Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 4:51 pm

something shorting out usually, look at the loom for wear/tears in insulation, even evidence of rubbing may be worth a closer look
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Blowing headlight fuse   Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2015 8:22 pm

About the only cause of fuse failure would be a short circuit to ground between the fuse's output end and the bulb. Wire chafing or a problem with the bulb socket would be the first things to check out as already mentioned. Use an Ohmmeter connected across a good ground and the output end of the removed fuse. Watch the meter for any drops in resistance when pulling and pushing on the wire harness between the fuse and the headlamp. If all is well the Ohmmeter should show a solid infinite resistance indication. If you see the needle drop or fluctuate it's an indication that the wiring is chafed against something. Then it's just a job to go over the wiring harness looking for damage from wear.

One other check would be to disconnect the headlamp fuse, disconnect the headlamp socket from the bulb and connect an Ohmmeter across one of the hot leads and the ground lead on the socket. Then take the bike on a test ride an watch to see if the Ohmmeter shows any drop in resistance. Riding on a rough surface would help here. Testing this way would show any chafing due to road vibration.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blowing headlight fuse   Blowing headlight fuse I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blowing headlight fuse
Page 1 of 1