Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

dirt roads

Go down 
+6
GHM-PM
oldgwingguy
gremlin
woodturnertimmers
masontx
gary c
10 posters
AuthorMessage
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2015-09-21

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 11:57 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with travelling on dirt roads. Baja, or anywhere else. Does the bike handle well at reasonable speeds, are flat tires a major concern. I would like to drive hwy 5 in baja- however looks like theres a 40k section thats not paved. Not setting speed records- just like to know if this too hard on the driver and the bike.( not referring to sand roads- more hard pack gravel type.
Back to top Go down
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 12:12 am

I recently tried a local dirt county road on my swing. The tires gripped ok, no sliding at reasonable speed, but the suspension took a beating. While the road had a slight washboard ripple, it seemed to really jar the swing, and might cause fasteners to break or screws and bolts to jar loose.
Back to top Go down
woodturnertimmers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
woodturnertimmers

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-10-16

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 12:46 am

I do not believe that the S-wing is designed for long haul crappy roads. It does not have the suspension of a dirt bike. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 1:06 am

www.openroadjourney.com/articles/how-to-ride-motorcycles-on-gravel/110/1
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 3:26 am

In between riding scooters at a young age and riding scooters at an more advanced age I rode dirt bikes on gravel and desert roads in Central Australia for over 20 years. Alice Springs hosts the annual Finke Desert Race. That can be good fun on the right sort of bike, but the Silverwing is not suited or fun to ride on those roads. I am sure a determined rider can make some progress on such roads, but why would you? You would only punish yourself and the SW and pay for it dearly in terms of maintenance and repairs. No
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 8:35 am

I no longer go out of my way to find them but when encountering them I find my 05 handles them just fine, just slow down and ride it out.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 8:41 am

For short runs I wouldn't worry too much (couple of miles or so) but as stated above the suspension and small tires are not really designed for rough roads. Plus the weight of the beast enters into the equation as well. 550 pounds of scooter with small wheels and a CVT can make things dicey.

That said I did take mine on a crappy road out to Bodie, CA. Paved road goes within 3 miles of the ghost town but the last 3 miles are unpaved, rough and lots of rocks etc. Freaked me out but I just went slow and watched the road carefully and all was well. Would not want to make a habit of it however... LOL
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 9:40 am

GHM-PM, too bad you couldn't tow your CT90--perfect bike for that kind of exploring. (Miss my stolen CT90--slow as all git out but I did manage to get a speeding ticket on it once.)
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: dirt roads    dirt roads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 11:24 am

If I find a dirt road it usually by accident on one of our long rides(Kentucky etc)and the scooter is loaded to the max. I would call some of these roads more of a trail and are no fun. I actually lost a tank bag I had bunged to the rear seat with about $300.00 worth of gear. Never again. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 5:21 pm

Dirt roads on SilverWing, require slow speed skills. Can be done, but not fun for me as I hate to clean bike afterwords.

I do not look for dirt roads, but can handle them. seating position on SilverWing not good for proper slow speed control

Rode Helix length of Baja....and sand so deep, could stop and use no stand---scooter stayed upright. Maybe not real fun. Have done Baja on motorcycle=much more fun, and control. Suzuki GS500E
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 7:45 pm

Thx-i wiil avoid them ( the baja hwy 5 detour would have taken me places i havent seen before- the 40k ride on gravel would probably be a nightmare-i was thinking that even if it took me 2 days- it might be worth it) Id cause too much undo hardship to my bike and psyche tho. No dirt roads. Also, its not the kind of place to risk a breakdown. I see the light.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 8:18 pm

I've rode my SWs and now my BMW GT scooter on local BLM and Forest service roads which aren't paved. One has to keep a close eye on the pot holes on some roads which are more like trails. Those wheels are a bit small on the really rough roads. By rough I mean they jolt one around quite a bit even in my big tired Jeep Wrangler.

Both scooters handle well on dirt roads and well packed gravel roads. I keep it a bit slow to keep dust down and for a easier, safer ride. I'll go a bit faster in the Jeep or on a dirt bike. But overall the scooter does a good job, the ABS is real nice on those roads, especially downhill gravel tracks. Makes it a lot more comfortable and less worrying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: dirt roads   dirt roads I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

dirt roads
Page 1 of 1