Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding dirt roads

Go down 
+9
GHM-PM
NWSSC
Greysilver
"Hi Yo"
KurtPerthWA
oldgwingguy
hotwings
tinman
masontx
13 posters
AuthorMessage
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 1:08 am

I live in a rural area, and there are more miles of dirt road than paved road. Was wondering what the inmates experience with dirt roads was. How does the swing handle on dirt roads? Do the shocks and suspension stand up to wash board roads? Does it require more attention to air filter and oil changes? Then again maybe I should buy a used standard or dual sport to explore dirt roads on.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 7:03 am

Hard pack gravel is fine ,pot holes not so fine,loose gravel , your looking for a mouth full.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 7:21 am

If your traveling on more dirt that black top then the silverwing is not the way to go in my opinion. I have traveled on a few gravel backroads and roads under construction, although not by choice, and with my wife onboard it seems a little tense to me. Also the silverwing seems to be too much of a precision machine to be hammering continuously on a gravel, washboard road. However it is a Honda so it could probably handle it. I can't imagine riding in the mud if it were to rain, but im the kind of guy who cringes when a single raindrop hits any of my bikes Sad Laughing . Im sure others will chime in saying they use theirs every weekend at the county mudfests and then ride home in the rain through freshly plowed farmers fields and the bike is 12 years old and the oil has never been changed or the air filter checked and the bike runs as new Laughing Laughing . I guess the choice is up to the individual.
Back to top Go down
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 7:52 am

Sounds like I need a second bike then. With no previous experience in bikes, and only about 4000 miles on a SW, I don't know if I need a dual sport for dirt roads or if a street bike would work. I don't plan to ride off road, just on dirt roads and paved roads. Some of my reading suggest that a 500 to 800 cc bike with Adv style tires would be great for what I want, and other articles make it sound like only a dual sport or dirt bike would work. Either way, I am on a budget, so will be looking at used bikes. What is the collective wisdom of the members? Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 8:09 am

Every time I use the scoot for at least .4 miles, up and down our driveway, other than that I will try to avoid them unless necessary. I'd go a dual sport if I were doing a lot of gravel roads.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 8:29 am

A Vstrom or Suzuki Bandit would be a better choice .The feet forward of a scooter does not inspirer confidence , unless you trike your scooter .( Don't do it Ethel) Smile
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 11:20 am

I reckon thick matted grass is bad as it sqirms around under the tyre, but the worst is a longish downhill on dirt. You lose the engine braking and the back brake is connected with the front brake after 20 seconds. This means you find it hard to keep the back wheel behind the front wheel without the "drag' from the rear. Honda engineers really should have placed an on off switch to the combined brake system. I liked riding the SW all over the place except for that scenario. Wet weather gives me the same creeps.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Riding dirt roads 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 11:34 am

Well, you've received plenty of advice from Canada and other foreign areas (anywhere outside of Texas). Laughing

The dirt roads in your area are probably caliche or other hard packed surfaces. The washboard type will slow you down for sure, but I think the Silver Wing will handle it. Sure, a dual sport would handle it better, but you would sacrifice the street comfort of the S'Wing. They also sit taller and require a different set of skills. Since you are new to bikes and riding, I would wait to make a decision.

Of course I only have about 50 years of riding Texas roads. I have seen very few that I would not travel with a Silver Wing. I would rather have your dirt than our potholes.

sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 11:43 am

Im with hotwings and anyone else who doesnt think a swing is suited for dirt. I avoid dirt at all costs except for driveways. Never farm roads and never az back roads. But........its your call.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Riding dirt roads    Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2015 12:00 pm

The only thing worse than dirt roads that I've ridden on are river beds and wet grass. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 9:13 am

I agree with the consensus, if you are going to be primarily on dirt, get a KLR650 or Yamaha TW200 if you are short or the like.

That being said I have had my SWing on many dirt roads and as long as speed is kept down there are no problems. I took my scoot out to the ghost town of Bodie, CA a couple of years ago and while most of the road is paved, the last 3 miles is miserable, gravel, rocks (some big), hills with little visibility etc. Potholes and all the bad things one would expect to see. Daunting to view I almost turned around but instead chugged through it all and made it to Bodie! Not one Harley did I see either.

:lol!:
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 9:18 am

Are you kidding me Hi-Yo? You have roads in Texas? No way! I watch movies and other notable TV shows featuring Texas and from what I can see the stage coaches are still numero uno form all vehicular travel apart from Union Pacific and Santa Fe Railways.
Stop dreaming! chickendance chickendance chickendance

OOPS sorry..."Railroads"
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Riding dirt roads 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 10:01 am

Kurt, I saw Crocodile Dundee and I'll put John Wayne against him any time. Both are Hollywood's finest. Laughing
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 11:20 pm

After many years of riding I now have it figured out:

Paved roads: Scooter's great

Unpaved rough roads: Wrangler TJ
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 10:47 am

get some road riding experience first-----at least 10,000 miles. Silverwing can be ridden on dirt roads----slowly----remembering feet forward scooter does not allow you control a reg. motorcycle does.

I avoid dirt simply because I hate cleaning the bike afterward.
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 4:26 pm

I don't like dirt or gravel for all the reasons mentioned above and I'm not too proud to turn around and find another road. Every time I have failed to keep the rubber side down and shiny side up, gravel or sand have been a contributing factor. I learned early on that sand, curves and front brake spells trouble.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 5:35 pm

john grinsel wrote:

I avoid dirt simply because I hate cleaning the bike afterward.

That's my main objection too.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 7:57 am

There's a reason dirt bikes and dual sports have 21 inch front tires and scooters don't. Get a CRF250L if you plan on a lot of unimproved roads. It'll do 65 on the highway so you aren't giving up anything. The TW200 and DR200 won't. If you want more power go for the DRZ400.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Riding dirt roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding dirt roads   Riding dirt roads I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding dirt roads
Page 1 of 1