Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Florida Roads

Go down 
+4
oldwingguy
willajabir
carolina wing rider
lloyd193
8 posters
AuthorMessage
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 am

Another couple things to be wary of on Florida roads are the Alligators, It is mating season here In the Spring and the Big male Gators are on the move.

They frequently move from water body to water body in search of female gators, This necessities them in most cases crossing our secondary roads. Hitting one of these huge Gators will send you airborne to dizzying heights, Then when you crash back to earth, You had better hope that the Gator is severely injured. Other wise he may be really pissed off and decide to eat you.

This condition only occurs on the Interstate highways at the interchanges, The rest of the Interstate is fenced to prevent the Deer and the Alligators entering and wrecking you as you are indicating ninety or a hundred.

A condition seldom reported on the evening news is the Boa constrictors and the huge pythons, These snakes are able to pass thru the fences and can be a real hazard on the interstates if struck at high rates of speed.

I carry a machete in case I hit one of these sixteen foot snakes so that I can cut my way out as I am being swallowed.

Large Dogs, Turtles, Humans and Deer are frequently found inside these huge Snakes, Make no mistake these snakes are real and they are occupying Florida, Mostly the southern parts.

Taking these things into consideration that I have passed along to you, Here in Florida Helmets and boots are of very little value at survival on Florida roads.

Happy motoring
Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 11:22 am

W O W ! Not only can I enjoy the scenery and good food but by golly a trip to Florida may easily turn into a full blown adventure....a good adventure gets the blood moving and reminds you that you are still alive...as long as a gator or big snake does not remind you where you fall in the food chain. Thanks for the enticing information and warning.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 11:26 am

Dizzying heights in Florida is anything higher than a speed bump isn't it?

Once swallowed, as long as you've not lost your keys, just ride the scoot back out and give the beast such a sore throat with the big knife.

And you call them snakes? I thought they were called illegals or boat people Laughing

Ok, one serious:
I do believe that statistically, fellow motorist claim more scooterist than nature's inhabitants. And claim the higher mortality rate. Am i wrong? ( I didn't google it. I just ASSumed)
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 12:18 pm

345 feet above sea level is the high point, and the area nearby actually has some curves Smile BTDT.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 3:03 pm

willajabir wrote:
Dizzying heights in Florida is anything higher than a speed bump isn't it?

Once swallowed, as long as you've not lost your keys, just ride the scoot back out and give the beast such a sore throat with the big knife.

And you call them snakes? I thought they were called illegals or boat people Laughing

Ok, one serious:
I do believe that statistically, fellow motorist claim more scooterist than nature's inhabitants. And claim the higher mortality rate. Am i wrong? ( I didn't google it. I just ASSumed)

Florida has according to a national survey the worse drivers in any of the 50 states.

Florida is the most dangerous place in America for pedestrians or Scooter riders, These auto driving Idiots in Florida looking down while texting will run over you in a heart beat. They get several a day.

Florida has the worse Law enforcement gangs in the Country, They do not enforce any of the laws.
Driving around Texting is ignored, Black windows is Ignored, Never mind that driver is smoking a joint. Crossing several lanes to make that turn is ignored. Sometimes Cops flash their lights if you are going the wrong direction on a one way street. Most times you are stopped is if you have good legs, Maybe willing to give a phone number.

Today Bike week is starting in Daytona, 35 miles from Orlando, Two hours drive, Every foot of the interstate is under construction. Road improvements were obsolete before the plans were approved.

Come on down.
Lloyd193.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 3:22 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
Every foot of the interstate is under construction.

So basically it's local & minor roads only ?

Best road in Floruida leads to the Conch State, go to Key West, look out to Cuba then visit the H.D shop & then an evening show on the dock by the cruise liners
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 3:46 pm

I blazed a trail to Daytona in 70, 71, and 72 for bike week strictly for the races so I know what a mess it is. Bike Week changes everything in the area. I assume the highways are "open" but with thousands more vehicles on them thus everything comes to a crawl. This is a good time to avoid northern Florida for sure.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2018 4:05 pm

carolina wing rider wrote:
I blazed a trail to Daytona in 70, 71, and 72 for bike week strictly for the races so I know what a mess it is. Bike Week changes everything in the area. I assume the highways are "open" but with thousands more vehicles on them thus everything comes to a crawl. This is a good time to avoid northern Florida for sure.
You are absolutely right,

Along with the traffic, Interstate four thru Orlando to Daytona is under construction. This is the most dangerous road I have ever seen, Speed averaging about 15 MPH. A trip that should take a few minutes is a two hour Knuckle Biter.

Several Years ago Florida spent many millions for surveys recommending changes that needed to be done to Interstate Four.

Today they are rebuilding it, Ignoring most of the survey results, Guaranteeing that it will be obsolete before it opens.

The Toll lanes thru Orlando being the exception if you have the $20.00 you will be charged to use it.

Happy motoring
Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 pm

In August of 1993 I ran over a big gator's tail in while traveling through the Ocala State Forest at 5:30 AM--foggy and dark, I was on a 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 going 65 to 70, and there it was!

Up and over and came down on two wheels. Definitely one of those "It's a good thing $#it sticks to leather (vinyl) situations"--'cause that was all that kept my backside on the seat...
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 2:57 pm

WHOA.........talk about a heart pounding situation. So glad you stayed up and on the bike. How terrifying it might have been had you fallen. I suppose you would have hit the ground RUNNING. Thanks for sharing that experience.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 3:36 pm

Thankfully the main things I'veve got to deal with over here are suicidal rabbits and kamakasi pheasant (a semi flightless feathered thing with an IQ slightly less than a glass of water).
And the odd bambi. As with most of the UK I'm not too enthusiastic about guns and shooting but in the case of deer I'll happily make an exception.
As for texting motorists and pedestrians I would like to think evolution will eventually take care of these, but unfortunately a) they might already have bred, and b) their evolutionary process can also take us out.

Be careful out there wherever you ride.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Dangerous is right, watch for the news on the Miami bridge collapse Sad now the attack is from above Sad can't imagine prayers for those poor folks.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 pm

WE have the same kind of problem up here in the north ever fall. Deer in heat.
Hit one 2.5 years ago on FJR at about 25 mph. or so. I did every thing possible to avoid it but he charged me. We both walked away and I didn't crash. Lucky. 8-10 point buck happens so fast.
Some damage to bike not too bad. Hit my right knee sore for a week.

Be careful.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 pm

We just never know, never.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
I did every thing possible to avoid it but he charged me.

I was waiting for Dale to ask, but I can't wait.....How much? Rolling Eyes

Seriously: I'm glad that since it happened, you came out ok and have a story to tell/share.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Florida Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Florida Roads   Florida Roads I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Florida Roads
Page 1 of 1