Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi adjutable windshield maint.

Go down 
+5
exavid
oldgwingguy
dalehazelton
hotwings
john grinsel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Givi adjutable windshield maint. Empty
PostSubject: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 11:08 am

Now after 7-8 years with I think 4 Givi adjustable windhields, on 2 different new SilverWings and 2 Burgman 400's

1. I use Lemon Pledge, as it works and is cheap.

2. Take adjustable lip off, clean it with pledge.

3. Shot of WD40 on pivots/clamps keeps them working smoothly.

4. Clean lower half of shield. I make sure everything feels tight, mine was installed with the metal uprights

Above procedure saves that strain of trying to get in mall places, etc.

Protect All also works, but is much more expensive than Pledge.

Removable screen clouds a little with age/time----I believe is looking over shields on two wheelers, and seldom change height. I have about 75-100,000 miles of Givi Adjutable screen use.....and no trouble.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 12:21 pm

I agree the Pledge works good but the Givi owners manual states to use water only never chemicals! They say any cleaners other than water will deteriorate the screen.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 7:26 pm

I just bought the Givi Airflow. How could you possibly clean it with plain water? No soap? No Honda Polish? No nothing?
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 9:07 pm

dalehazelton wrote:
I just bought the Givi Airflow. How could you possibly clean it with plain water? No soap? No Honda Polish? No nothing?

It's how I've done all my bike screens, I use microfiber towels wet down and just lay them on the screen, add a bit more water till some drips off. Most of the time I let it set that way overnight, re-wet then wipe off the bugs / grime.

FUGITS THE IMPORTANT PART Sleep I use ICE on the screen like I do on the rest of the scoot.

Last edited by oldgwingguy on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 12:54 am

I use wet paper towels on the windshield to get rid of bugs then a wipe down with Lemon Pledge. Removing bugs by laying a wet towel be it paper or cloth unsticks them and lubricates the plastic as you wipe them off. Easier on the surface of the windshield than using a cleaner and rubbing the bugs off. The Pledge afterward helps prevent the bug guts from sticking and helps break up rain drops for better vision. Also it's cheap. Like me.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 7:48 am

Lots of bugs, I agree hot towel gets the first layer off.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Speaking about Givi windshield maintenance I found that on the adjustable the clamps would wear in a bit when the screen is new and need to be snugged up once in awhile. After breaking in they seemed to hold their tension pretty well.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Agree on snugging the nuts on the clamp, after some use.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Good call on the Lemon Pledge John - I'll giver that a go.
I've got the standard screen with a laminar lip on the top. It's so filthy with bugs etc that I think I might just remove it completely and leave it to soak in the bath overnight first!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Hydrogen peroxide will eat away dead bugs without harming the windshield also.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 9:08 pm

I've used Lemon Pledge for a lot of years since it came out. Works good on aircraft windshields as well. You wouldn't believe how fast your Supercub windshield can get covered with bugs on the windshield and wing leading edges on fishing trips in Alaska. Those mosquitos can turn the leading edge of the wings completely black. Try Lemon Pledge on your boat windshield as well it does a pretty good job of helping the windshield shed spray especially on salt spray which leaves a geasy salt remnant.
One thing I like about faired bikes and maxi scooters is that 15-20 minutes with a couple rags and a can of Pledge you can shine up the bike real nicely. Try that with a motorcycle with exposed air cooled engine.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 10:14 am

I have used Plexus on the adjustable shield and have never had any problems...looks like the day I put it on in 2012....and I agree, that the adjustable nuts for the shield should be turned 1/8-1/4 turn when needed.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Plexus is good but not worth $20 for a small spray can to me. I'm too frugal (cheap) for that.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 10:51 pm

Why bother cleaning it?  Just leave a bug layer on and they will help protect the plastic from UV and other bugs...

Oops, something got some Pledge on my Givi Tall ....

P.S. - I read that toothpaste (without pumice or grit) on a towel can polish car light plastic and make it clear.  Might work on a Givi windshield - try in an inconspicuous first.  I'm hiding mine behind the bug layer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi adjutable windshield maint.   Givi adjutable windshield maint. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi adjutable windshield maint.
Page 1 of 1