Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

silverwing panniers

Go down 
+17
hayesfamilyscoots
horizontal
Flyingpanman
DerrillW
MikeO
gremlin
Easyrider
Cookie
Meldrew
john grinsel
HORNBLOWER
steve_h80
Chilliwing
Greysilver
dspevack
model28a
Siataukreg
21 posters
AuthorMessage
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

silverwing panniers  Empty
PostSubject: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi guys just fitted a set of aprilia scarabeo panniers to my silverwing had them colour matched look great http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USED-GENUINE-APRILIA-SCARABEO-125-150-200-2001-GOLD-PAIR-OF-PANNIERS-AP8792219Z-/281589861562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4190104cba cant upload a pic of them the mtg brackets need to be modified but when done fit well
Forgot to mention they have a 3kg load limit
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 8:41 pm

siataukreg read through THIS POST it may be of some help uploading-pictures. I would like to see the panniers mounted.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 11:30 am

https://s224.photobucket.com/user/siataukreg/media/silverwing%20new%20luggage%20001.jpg.html?filters[user]=55781765&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Pics here only three of them fit is excellent and many who have seen them thought they were made for the scooter
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 4:51 pm

That looks awesome.
Very few people have been able to successfully mount pannier hard cases to the wing.

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Thanks guys the ones in my first post are still on ebay for sale and have the frame work with them but not the barrels and keys still worth buying though mine were just the same as these a friend colour matched them
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 8:56 pm

cheers  applause Those are nice, I mean really nice. Nice enough to post at least one picture.  
silverwing panniers  Silverwing%20new%20luggage%20001
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 7:10 pm

pannier set still on ebay for sale
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Oh I was about to ask what is a PANNIERS but now I see. Pretty too. I cant see mounting them on though.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Very sharp looking ....good job!
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 8:09 pm

silverwing panniers  Silverwingnewluggage002
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2016 2:52 am

Nicely done.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 5:30 am

siataukreg wrote:
silverwing panniers  Silverwingnewluggage002

Is there any chance of some pictures of how they are attached without the panniers on please?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 6:21 am

What do big bags/boxes do to handling of already rear weight bias scooter? gas mileage?

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

These old chestnuts about bags and boxes never seem to go way. For years I've read posts saying 'top boxes ruin handling'. Utter fallacy, I've never ridden a maxi scooter in the last 20 years that didn't have a 50 litre plus top box permanently attatched. No ill effects whatsoever whether the box is full or empty.

Panniers/saddlebags I only use mine when Mrs M goes touring with me because I can no longer use the passenger seat to carry an Ortlieb bag. Again no problems, only that on my 650 Burgman I had to lift one soft bag out of the way to refuel, with hard bags it would have to be removed first then reattached.

Fuel consumption from the records that I have kept show no significant increase with soft bags and passenger. Those Aprilia hard panniers make the Silver Wing a lot wider than the Givi and Cameron soft bags I occasionally use, but siataukreg has made a very nice job of blending them in.

I liked the Scarabeo range, it's always bugged me that the useless UK Aprilia importer at the time didn't bring in it's big brother the original model Aprilia Scarabeo 500 which was also fitted with panniers. It's the only big wheel maxi scooter that's ever interested me.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 8:37 am

I agree, I often have a loaded top box and I've never noticed it making any difference.
It's not like the Silverwing has pinpoint 'Sportsbike' handling anyway - if it did then maybe you would notice a difference but since it hasn't...
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 10:43 pm

I have a GIVI E55 Monokey and sometimes when I have a lot to carry, I do feel the influence the weight up high. I try to place heavier items under the seat, but there are times when heavy items are also in the top box. I have no problems carrying heavy items in the top box, but I do sense the weight up there.

Last edited by Easyrider on Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 1:58 am

Meldrew wrote:

I liked the Scarabeo range, it's always bugged me that the useless UK Aprilia importer at the time didn't bring in it's big brother the original model Aprilia Scarabeo 500 which was also fitted with panniers. It's the only big wheel maxi scooter that's ever interested me.

I ended up buying a Scarabeo 500, because I could not find a suitable newer model SW in Australia. The Scarabeo is not a bad scooter with the Piaggio 460cc engine ( 40hp ). It is a fair bit lighter than the SW; on paper they should be match, but the SW will leave it for dead the way it accelerates. Storage is not as generous as a SW, but not bad together with the Givi Box.
I am also at a loss why this model was so soon deleted from the Scarabeo range. Aprilia still sell the smaller models with the 250cc and 300cc engine here in Oz, but to me those are hopelessly underpowered. (300cc = 22.5 hp)
One scooter model which I am still keen to try is the Piaggio Beverly 350. It has excellent engine/weight ratio and still has got the big wheels. And you can actually buy a new one in Australia!
Would have loved to look at a Honda SH300i, but Honda also stopped importing those as soon as they hit the market. And I have never seen or heard of an SW model with ABS over here; that is how early they stopped bringing them in.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 7:18 am

I experience the same as Easyrider with my E52: different feeling when it's full or not attached from when it's empty but it doesn't upset the handling and that's what matters as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 9:56 am

There is a noticeable difference in the handling of the S'wing with a passenger and/or a top box but it definitely is manageable. Don't take my word for it. Read the instructions that come with your bike or the luggage devices that attach to the bike. Warnings abound in both cases. Proven facts that apply to two wheel vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 10:58 am

I don't agree, I've had Mrs M sat on the back of my Silver Wing on all sorts of roads, and on the supposedly speed limit free autobahns of Germany and there's nothing to report. No wobbles, scary moments, lack of acceleration, anything, and I've filled up with 170 miles or more on the trip recorder, and the fuel consumption is no different from solo riding. The only thing I do is adjust the tyre pressures and the rear shock settings for a passenger.

As for warning stickers and notices, there's notices in petrol/gas stations about No Smoking and using mobile/cell phones, yet you still see the occasional idiot doing it. Look at the shock horror health warnings and graphics on cigarette packets/cartons, and yet millions of smokers ignore them daily and carry on regardless. Speed limit signs are ignored with impunity etc.

Where's the sticker warning Silver Wing owners about about levering on obscure brand car tyres, fitting trailer hitches, or disabling the side stand safety cut out switch.

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 1:31 pm

I do notice the extra weight two up in acceleration, braking and suspension on bumpy roads, but that's the same with any bike -or car for that matter.
Nothing dangerous though, just the laws of physics doing what they always do.
Top boxes on a bike can react to turbulance causing a bit of a weave but I've never noticed it on the sw or my other recent bikes (big traillies).
The last time I was aware of luggage affecting handling was in the mid 90's when I was young, daft and riding an RF900 on the naughty side of 130...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 3:15 pm

Those thinking about Saddle Bags for SilverWing should think of this....based on BMW/Kawasaki Concours/CB750 Honda with hard Givi bags-----clam shell bags-side opening dump all your stuff on the ground when you open them. I would think one should consider only top opening bags/boxes.

I think Givi E-21 would work. I think German racks/holders are still available, too.

My complaint about top boxes/saddle bags loaded is that they screw up low speed handling as bike becomes top heavy feeling------My Givi E46 box now has over 500,000 miles-----and doesn't seem to bother handling at highway speeds....it does as you slow to parking lot speeds.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 7:14 am

john grinsel wrote:
Those thinking about Saddle Bags for SilverWing should think of this....based on BMW/Kawasaki Concours/CB750 Honda with hard Givi bags-----clam shell bags-side opening dump all your stuff on the ground when you open them.  I would think one should consider only top opening bags/boxes.

I think Givi E-21 would work.  I think German racks/holders are still available, too.

I have a pair of Givi E-21 I would like to fit. I have searched for suitable pannier racks and the German ones are discontinued. I think they do the later styled European 600 SWing but I don't know if they'll fit?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 10:29 am

I looked at Fehling.de this AM....they have nothing for SilverWing, Same as Hepco & Becker.de, again nothing for SilverWing other than rear rack.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 10:40 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-APRILIA-SCARABEO-125-150-200-99-04-PANNIER-SET-AP8792219-/271427528324?hash=item3f32576684:g:7hYAAOxyVaBS1U9V these are still for sale and have all the fittings with them
Back to top Go down
horizontal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 11:30 am

Flyingpanman wrote:
john grinsel wrote:
Those thinking about Saddle Bags for SilverWing should think of this....based on BMW/Kawasaki Concours/CB750 Honda with hard Givi bags-----clam shell bags-side opening dump all your stuff on the ground when you open them.  I would think one should consider only top opening bags/boxes.

I think Givi E-21 would work.  I think German racks/holders are still available, too.

I have a pair of Givi E-21 I would like to fit. I have searched for suitable pannier racks and the German ones are discontinued. I think they do the later styled European 600 SWing but I don't know if they'll fit?

The later silverwing pannier racks block the lock for the seat. Honda moved this on the later model but if you cut down the key you can fit them.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I don't agree, I've had Mrs M sat on the back of my Silver Wing on all sorts of roads, and on the supposedly speed limit free autobahns of Germany and there's nothing to report. No wobbles, scary moments, lack of acceleration, anything, and I've filled up with 170 miles or more on the trip recorder, and the fuel consumption is no different from solo riding.

Meldrew,
In my situation, I disagree with you. I ride a 2013 with a GIVI E55. I am 66 and weigh 150 lbs. My wife weighs 200 lbs. She stopped riding a couple of years ago when we went down on a U-TURN. I REALLY notice additional effort needed to maintain balance when in slow to stop-and-go traffic. I do not have a comfortable feeling riding two-up. But that's me.

When I first started riding in 2012, I did notice the difference with and without the top box. Now, with the Admore lights, I always ride with it mounted. Great place to store my riding gear.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Agree on what weight, high and to the rear does to low speed handling of SilverWing, get older and it gets worse. Most top heavy bike I have had=Kawasaki Concours, ok once you were rolling....and if it fell over really heavy to get upright.
Back to top Go down
hayesfamilyscoots
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2018-06-13

PostSubject: Who made the Mounting Racks.   silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 2:49 pm

siataukreg wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-APRILIA-SCARABEO-125-150-200-99-04-PANNIER-SET-AP8792219-/271427528324?hash=item3f32576684:g:7hYAAOxyVaBS1U9V these are still for sale and have all the fittings with them

siataukreg who made the mounting racks for the Aprilia Painners?
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 3:38 pm

The mtg rack comes with the new panniers just need to be modified to fit
Back to top Go down
Foxy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Foxy

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2018-06-23

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 3:52 pm

They look very neat fitted to your Swing. applause applause
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 5:10 pm

siataukreg wrote:
The mtg rack

I presume 'mtg' is txt spk for mounting ??
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Very nice looking!!
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 10:09 am

The Bern wrote:
siataukreg wrote:
The mtg rack  

I presume 'mtg' is txt spk for mounting ??

No mate its used in the motor trade for a mounting
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 1:51 pm

They look very nice. Having a trike kit allows much more stability loaded with gear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: silverwing panniers    silverwing panniers  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

silverwing panniers
Page 1 of 1