Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hard panniers?

Go down 
+10
vmaximus
sctr199
horizontal
tinman
silverwing27
DARKSUN
tarmacburner2
MikeO
john grinsel
MarkB
14 posters
AuthorMessage
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 9:14 pm

I would very much like to mount hard side bags on the Swing and have spent many hours looking for some (Givi/Kappa/Shad/Coocase/others). But it looks like noone makes mounts for it.

Aside from the needed storage space, my intention is to add aux lighting to it (Admore is my first choice) because I believe that the wider illuminated presentation would make me much more visible - and therefore safer - in both and night riding.

Has anyone here successfully mounted hard panniers?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 5:04 am

For big scooters, only Fehling in Germany makes bag mounts but for Burgman 400. None for SilverWing. Probably because there is not any "meat" to hang them on. Mounts from Fehling will take GIVI E-21 top opening bags.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 5:16 am

Someone here* fabricated mounting-racks for the Silverwing and they looked the business.
I think a SEARCH might find them and if IIRC there are pictures in the Albums.

No sooner said.......

https://www.silverwing600.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-randybuck-cat_u782.htm

*randybuck Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 6:26 am

Mooredportside is making me a rack to hold panniers on both sides of the Silverwing. At the moment I have a Givi rack but that only fits on the exhaust side. Kurt (mooredportside) is in California (I think) so maybe worth PMing him.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 9:22 am

Width should be considered, wider than handlebars is traffic could cause problems as you try to squeeze thru.

Then there is air drag. With GIVI, the smaller E-21, probably hold as much as the bigger side opening....and nothing falls out of top opening bag as you open. I have had a set of the side opening bags on 750 Nighthawk----gravity in my world makes stuff hit the ground as you open.

Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 11:26 am

MikeO,

Randybuck's mounts look GREAT! This is what I was looking for. How do I contact him?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 11:38 am

PM or see if he has an e-mail address in his profile - I don't know him personally. Wink
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 11:41 am

Look up randybuck in 'Members'.
When his profile appears, click on 'Contact (towards the RH end of the options at the top) and you are given the option of sending an e-mail or PM.
Back to top Go down
DARKSUN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DARKSUN

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-08-02

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 12:39 am

OMG I have to get him to hook me up with one as well. Its EXACTLY what i was looking for. I also love the heated seats he is using.!
Back to top Go down
silverwing27
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-11-16

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 8:28 am

hi all

does anyone know if randybuck is still about as im very interested in the design of his brackets for his panniers and looking for something like this to fit onto my own bike as I want to do more touring this year

many kind regards

Russell ison
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 10:36 am

I think the V Strom panniers brackets can be modified to fit .
Back to top Go down
horizontal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 11:15 am

MarkB wrote:
I would very much like to mount hard side bags on the Swing and have spent many hours looking for some (Givi/Kappa/Shad/Coocase/others).  But it looks like noone makes mounts for it.

Aside from the needed storage space,  my intention is to add aux lighting to it (Admore is my first choice) because I believe that the wider illuminated presentation would make me much more visible - and therefore safer -  in both and night riding.

Has anyone here successfully mounted hard panniers?

Thanks.
Hi i fitted racks made by fehling for the E21 top opening cases and then fitted the Givi 33 ltr trekker cases. I have used these for 2 trips across Germany with no problems. hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Twisted Throttle has these on their website. Recommend calling them for availability prior to ordering. I checked availability several months ago and they were back ordered:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?brand=Fehling&q=fsc+600
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Hard panniers   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 6:50 pm

I made mine out of 8mm stainless round bar, the cases are mono key purchased of Ebay, there is some pictures in my album.
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-08-14

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 5:52 am

"Hi i fitted racks made by fehling for the E21 top opening cases and then fitted the Givi 33 ltr trekker cases. I have used these for 2 trips across Germany with no problems. hope this helps."

Hi Horizontal

Could I ask you a couple of questions based on your experience with The Fehling racks.

Firstly, did you fit them to an original Sliverwing, or to the more recent SW model? (The Fehling website suggests that they are only available for the latter, although The Twisted Throttle site in The U.S. are selling exactly the same product - imported - and state that they are suitable for the original Silverwing from 2001 - 2012!).

Secondly, How did you overcome the problem of accessing the lock for the underseat compartment? I have read that it is impossible to insert the key with the racks mounted.

Thank you

SteVe Smile
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 7:26 am

Steve,
The original Silverwing is a 1980's motorcycle!
Anything that works, works on any Silverwing scooter form 2001-2015

When you see any product that is advertised as working for a limited number of years in the run, its because that is the last year the manufacturer tested to insure compatibility.

Dan
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 7:56 am

Ah, sorry Dan. My mistake. I was of course referring to the "standard" Silverwing we all ride on this site. My question to Horizontal was referring to the difference between the standard model and the new SW400/SW600 (introduced into Europe only?) about 5 years ago?

Anyway, the main changes to this model were the headlights, tunnel fairings, and the cockpit, BUT I don't know if the rear of the bike was changed enough to limit the use of The Fehling Rack to the SW models as quoted on their website. I myself have a standard "Silverwing", although it is the 400cc model (also a European only thing!)

If, as Twisted Throttle suggests, this fitting really does fit the standard machines, I will be ordering it with confidence Smile

SteVe
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Here is a link to The Twisted Throttle site in The U.S.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sideracks-for-givi-monokey-sidecases-honda-silverwing-600-01-12

Now, these are the racks made by Fruhling in Germany, and If you look closely at the photo you can see that the rack is actually mounted to the new SW-T400, which as I stated in my previous post, is the model that they are designed for. However, on the Twisted Throttle site it clearly states that they are for the standard Silverwing! If this is true, then I wonder if anybody else on this site has fitted them and can give a brief review of how well they work? Oh, and what they have done about the restricted access to the underseat key lock?

Thanks guys!

SteVe
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Steve,
That is very interesting. The 600 scooter came out before the 400. Then came the T*series.
And as you pointed out, the T series is what's in the picture.
Yet if you go on the same page to the instructions and downloads tab.
It says:
•Installation Instructions - Sideracks for Givi Monokey sidecases (Honda Silverwing 600, '01-'12)

Very confusing.
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Yes, a mystery indeed Dan!

And those instructions translated from the German are appalling!

I was particularly concerned by: "The original plastic cover cannot be mounted again" which seems to refer to the rear fairing!!

So now I'm really intrigued!

As I have made a full search on this site for topics relating to this subject, and many members seem to be very keen on installing hard paniers, I feel sure that somebody here must have ordered this rack, and I would really like to hear a review from this valued community as to how and if they do the job before I order them direct from the German suppliers.

Here's hoping! Smile

SteVe
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Steve,
I have been in the Silverwing community since 2003.
I have seen several attempts to create hard panniers.
I know this is not what you want to hear, but...
Every company that has created SOMETHING along those lines has fallen short in some way.
Either they do it for only one side, or you have to buy extraordinarily expensive parts, or they
block the key hole.

Fehling rails, while being around for quite a while, are a bit of a joke as crash bars go because of where they mount and how they deal with the plastic.

As for amateurs doing the job, most have been dedicated and passionate craftsman who have made
one-offs for there own needs, or maybe a few for friends. Once they complete the job, they usually do not go back to it to make them for profit.

Even our own DennisB, who made quite a few quality products for the wing, eventually quit doing so.

The up side to hard panniers is that they are not easily removable and they are lockable.
And yes you can put brake lights on them.

However, the downside as previously mentioned is bike width.

I propose that you could purchase soft panniers that are designed to connect to each other like
saddlebags.  Lift up the seat, throw the saddlebags across the area beneath it and lock the seat
down on top of the cross straps to insure they are not taken.
You can pick up a pair of the following product or similar:
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Helmet-Brake-Receiver-Motorcycles/dp/B0042ASTT8
And attach them to your saddlebags to achieve your brake light goal.
As for locking the saddlebags, you could use something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh4oxwlwQMY

Whether the thief wielding a knife will use it to pop the plastic lock on a hard pannier or cut the ballistic nylon of a bag, A determined thief will get what he wants.

So instead of worrying about that focus on what you need.
I guarantee you soft panniers would be more flexible cost effective, and easier to wash
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Didn't Fehling make bag mounts that would take Givi E21 Boxes?
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 4:10 am

Yes, they did, and they still do!

Has anyone here installed them on a "standard" Silverwing successfully?

They are designed for the SW T400/T600 but I need to be sure that they will fit my bike before ordering ...............

SteVe Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 4:29 am

Hi SteVe, have you considered having a word with the Austrian importers of Fehling products www.motorraddirekt.net about whether they have pannier rails to fit your Silver Wing 400?

Plus they're only 13 miles away from Vienna in Brunn am Gebirge near Mödling.
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 4:42 am

Cheers Meldrew

You are always so supportive!

I will certainly give those guys a call and report back to let everyone here know Smile

SteVe
Back to top Go down
horizontal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 2:09 pm

hi steveonfarm.
Sorry i did not answer sooner. i fitted the fehling pannier racks to a 2009 silverwing. you are correct when you mention that they are listed as suitable for the latest version of silverwing, the keyhole for the seat is partially obscured but i just had a key cut at a local store and ground a piece off the end so it did not snag on the pannier frame. this along with the 33 litre trekker cases has worked well for trips across germany to italy and austria. We are travelling soon to Slovenia and we intend to use them oncemore. The did try the E21 cases but found them to be too small. Ihope you find this useful.
Ian.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi, there is a topic on here somewhere on her about getting a spare key cut, shortening it and then screwing it onto a old style radio/TV control knob for the purpose of opening the seat lock. It might be useful to make one to use if you fit hard panniers.
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Hey, Ian!
Thank you so much for your reply. So, just to be clear can I ask if your 2009 Silverwing is the one with the headlights on top of each other, and not the SW-t600 with the headlights side by side?
Also, did you order your racks directly from Fehling, or from a supplier in The UK? Do you remember what you paid? And finally, I assume you will be travelling through Vienna (my home town!), on your was to Slovenia (beautiful country!). If so, I would be more than happy to meet up for a beer or coffee Smile Oh, and if you could possible post some photos of your racks and paniers on your SW, that would be great!! I'm sure that I'm not the only one on this site who would appreciate photographic evidence of the fact that it is actually possible!

And thank you once again Meldrew! Great minds clearly think alike, as I too remember seeing the post with pictures of a cut down key with an improvised turning nob, and was already planning on making up a similar twist-to-open device to overcome the restricted access problem that clearly arises after installing the racks Smile

All the best!

SteVe
Back to top Go down
SteveO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SteveO

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 8:21 pm

Hey Steve, I have made a key for the seat and had posted pictures.
Check out this location *** https://www.silverwing600.com/t7861-having-to-use-key-to-open-seat **

There are some other post all with pictures. I leave my knob in place all the time. Never had a problem with anyone opening up the storage. You can always take out the key and lock in the front lockable pocket. My Knob key will not work the ignition because the key is to short.

SteveO
Back to top Go down
horizontal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 4:09 am

Hi Steve.
my swing is the one with the headlights on top of each other. I ordered the pannier racks and also the fehling top box rack for my 55 litre maxia top box, they were ordered through supplier in the uk, i cannot remember the price but i think it was the full retail and i didn't get a discount. The fitting was easy and the only difference between my swing and the latest swing is the positioning of the lock for the seat, everything else lined up as fehling intended. I would be more than happy to post some pictures if i knew how, im afraid my computer knowledge is limited. I can ask my son in law who is a bit of a geek to help, or i could send them by E-mail. i will take the fotos today. Our trip to slovenia will be next month, we have hotels booked in Innsbruck for the summer solstice, apparently fires are lit on the mountain tops at ten pm, its something i wanted to see. Then we are riding down to lake bled in slovenia and the Julian alps. we have not made any arrangements for the return so it may be possible include a night in vienna, it would be great. Perhaps i can contact you nearer the time. I must go now and take the fotos.
regards Ian.
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 4:32 am

Hey, that's wonderful Ian. Your information has been invaluable to me. Thank you again!

I will PM you now with my email address so you can send me those piccies. Can't wait! Smile

SteVe
Back to top Go down
steveonfarm
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
steveonfarm

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 4:38 am

Hey, SteveO

Thank you for the link to your nifty idea re the under seat key nob! That is the one that originally inspired me to create my own version!

SteVe - Great names think alike Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hard panniers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard panniers?   Hard panniers? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hard panniers?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: