Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello from Illinois!
California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:15 am

» LF extended back rest
California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Yesterday at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

California gasoline fill-up

Go down 
+6
glencoeman
GHM-PM
Jinglebob
model28a
sctr199
SteveSilverWing
10 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

California gasoline fill-up Empty
PostSubject: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi All,

I just got my 2013 Silver Wing this past weekend and am already loving it more than I can say!  Smile  Smile  Smile

Yesterday, I had to fill up and wondered how that was going to go.  I expected that I'd be able to fill up just as I would a regular car.  Remove the gas cap, insert the hose, and stand back until it stops automatically when full.

That didn't work since I wasn't able to stick the hose in deep enough for it to fully engage.  Instead, I had to pull back on the rubber gasket of the hose with my fingers -- that's the gasket that makes a seal with the tank and stops fumes from being released into the atmosphere.  Because of that, I had to guess when it was full.  If I don't pull back on the gasket, the fueling stops.  That's how it was on my old 150cc scooter which I didn't like at all but at least I could see more easily into the tank to determine when it was full.

I realize that this "rubber gasket" is something that is particular to California, so many of you might not have the same problem.  Do any of you guys have experience with this California-type thing when fueling your Silver Wing.  I'm stumped and don't want to keep guessing as it when it's full.  Besides, there was some spillage (not much) that occurred during the process.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Los Angeles
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Welcome to California gas pumps and their vapor recovery system. If you absolutely can't deal with them, one idea is to make a spacer out of pvc , the same diameter as the filler neck. Place it between the filler and the pump nozzle to compress the boot. I personally would rather put up with the nuisance Calif. pumps as they are, and have never tried using a spacer. I'm fairly certain fuel spillage would still result anyway.

The filler neck on my old Majesty was deep enough to compress the pump nozzle boot. Fill ups on my Helix aren't any easier than on my Swing either.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Steve I've heard about this problem before and I remember that they use a PVC reducer. Maybe it was a three inch to a two inch reducer I'm not sure but a search may find the post. I don't have time to search for it now, I have to get ready to go feed the homeless tonight but when I get home this evening I'll look for it if you haven't found out by then. It will be after 7:00 PM.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 2:50 pm

looks like sctr199 beat me to the send button, I do type slowly. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 3:01 pm

I've seen the reducers mentioned by model28a at Cycle Gear, but as I mentioned before, have no experience with them.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Thanks very much!! pirat The spacer is a great idea and can even whoop one up myself...one trip to Home Depot to pick up a piece of scrap PVC, and I'll be all set. I'll let you know how it works out. In the meanwhile, and before going to Home Depot, I'll do a search to see if more details are available somewhere in the Swing database.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Steve here's a pictorial on the Ledude's Burgman Center. I'm sure it'd work on any scooter.
Gas fill-up helper
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 4:22 pm

Thank you, Roger! I'll go out and get a piece later this afternoon. Very helpful you guys are! cheers
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 5:00 pm

More costly, of course, but I use this:

http://www.mccuff.com/

Works great on CARB nozzles. I've used one for several years now. It works by shoving the nozzle sleeve back to where the pump can engage. The only trick is to pump the fuel at about mid-speed and when the pump stops, do not try to top off. I find when I do that, the tank is usually full anyway....

Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks for that suggestion, JingleBob! That solution sounds perfect, but since I'm all but broke after buying the bike, I'll probably go the PVC route and see how I can adapt. The idea is great...I might measure the diameter of the pump nozzle next time I fill-up and perhaps craft one myself...I'm good with stuff like that. Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2566
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2015 10:15 pm

I use a piece of scrap PVC also when I travel in CA. Interesting to note my Goldwing does NOT need it. The Silver Wing has a bar in the bottom of the inlet which keeps the nozzle from seating, the big Wing does not have this...

Good luck with your new SWing, fantastic scooters!
Back to top Go down
glencoeman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-08-07

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 2:53 am

They have the same type of fuel pumps in Switzerland and Austria.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 6:45 am

I looked inside the fuel inlet on my swing and there are no bars or anything restricting the nozzle from fully inserting! Maybe its a Canadian thang.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 8:26 am

My 05 has the bar " down in the tank " you almost need a flashlight to see it, I've been filling up at home with my can supply and so far have not had the station experience. Some gad stations here in o-HI-o have those nozzles some don't.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 10:36 am

Hi Glenn,

here's a question.  When you use a piece of PVC, are you able to latch the gas nozzle to let it fill up until it stops automatically?  If so, that would be great.

The PVC route is definitely the way to go for me.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this California fill-up issue... :lol!:
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2566
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 10:40 am

SteveSilverWing wrote:
Hi Glenn,

here's a question.  When you use a piece of PVC, are you able to latch the gas nozzle to let it fill up until it stops automatically?  If so, that would be great.

The PVC route is definitely the way to go for me.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this California fill-up issue... :lol!:

I haven't really tried that. Was afraid the nozzle would pop out. And anyway the tank only hold 4+ gallons so is not a big deal to pump it manually.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 11:07 am

No bar in my filler neck must be a Canadian mod. However I rest the tip of the nozzle to one side on the metal ring (where the cap screws on) and squeeze the trigger gently, that way I can see when the tank is full and avoid gas going down the overflow hole and out onto the ground. On a long trip I like to top off gas to the max and I also carry a 1 litre fuel bottle as added insurance against running out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 3:09 pm

Having the bar really stinks. The gas reflects off of it and sprays everywhere. Very annoying.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Well, yeah, it does stink, but not insurmountable. Besides that, there is little I can complain about with my Silver Wing. I went grocery shopping yesterday and filled the under-seat compartment to the brim. It holds a surprising amount of goods very comfortable. Basketball
Back to top Go down
Porkie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Porkie

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 2:38 pm

Just hold the "ring" up with one hand and fill the tank. I was born in Lynwood, CA and lived in CA for 50 years, with offices in West Los Angeles.

I hate the traffic there but miss the Ocean as I've had a sail boat and a power boat in several Marina's on the coast. I also miss the fantastic dualsport riding in the local hills and mountains and the desert. Moved from there in 1999.

Sam:)
Back to top Go down
http://www.carthageelectronics.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: California gasoline fill-up   California gasoline fill-up I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

California gasoline fill-up
Page 1 of 1