Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive belt prices
Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Checked the air in my tires after a month

Go down 
+8
exavid
MikeO
john123
KurtPerthWA
Ghost_rider
Bernardo
jdeereanton
JeffR
12 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Checked the air in my tires after a month Empty
PostSubject: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Well, I took my daughter to the garage last night, because she likes to help me with things, and we checked my oil, adjusted my seat, and checked and filled the tires with air. I thought the tires started to feel soft for a few days and figured it may be time for new tires. I am due for new tires in the next few months... but after checking I found that my front tire only had 24 lbs and the rear 27 lbs. I now I only check my tires every few weeks but it has been longer and also it is winter.

So I filled the tires to 2 lbs over on each and when I rode to work today it was like I just had new tires installed. I know I should check the tires more but for some reason I just didn't. I believe I still have a couple of thousand miles on my Pirelli Diablo's, which are really good tires, but it sure is nicer to ride now. So I guess I learned a lesson to not take so long to do the right thing. I may need to put some notes on this calendar,on this site, to do maintenance on a schedule. :rendeer: Not sure what the reindeer means , but my daughter wants me to use it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 6:53 am

Excellent point Jeff.

I am really a nerd about checking the tire pressures. I check the tire surface and pressures daily. Alright all of you MSF grads respond by filling in the following acronym: T-CLOCKS

Some times it just means I have some bad thoughts about the Honda engineers for the placement of that rear valve stem and some times I have to add a few pounds. I learned like you just discovered that the bike rides significantly better with the proper amount of air in the tires.

This is for your daughter - queen enjoy!
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 8:19 pm

With my Helix I put new tire on last year. The one I only got about 4th miles on it and I was not happy. Sad I take mine in for an oil change and I guess I want them to check everything. OK, OK, I'm a girl who just doesn't want to check all of that. Wink I just want to get on and ride.When I got the oil changed they would tell me the air pressure was off a bit. They suggested I check every two week. Now with this new bike coming home in March I am going to put it on the calander to check it twice a month!!!!
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:45 am

I noticed the pressure was going down too much too quick in my tyres... No punctures, and the valve stem wasn't leaking as it has done in the past. It's been an ongoing problem especially over the winter months.... I needed a new rear tyre anyway so took it in to get done and the mechanics said it was due to corrosion inside the wheel, and air was leaking out around the rim as a result. So I'm getting the wheels powder coated....... Apparently that will fix it once and for all as the coating aswell as looking pretty, prevents corrosion....

Will take some pics when I get my scoot back...!
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Corroded wheels, bad tyre pressure, and powder coats ...   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 5:07 am

I've just posted a new topic in the maintenance section about the above, including pictures showing the results of powder coating....
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: tire inflation   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 2:00 pm

I alway keep check
on my tire pressure
atleast once a week.
Because in the past
when i owned a
Aprilia atlantic 500
i was riding at the time. I found that i
a soft rear tire. I did
not think of it to
much for a week or
too later. Well
sure enough the
rear tire was down
to 20 lbs and when
making turns the
bike would slide slightly. Yeah that
scared me enough.
U learn from
things in the past
and u will not
forget them either.
Ghost rider Greg
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 6:11 am

The scoot prior to my SWing was a Vmoto. If any of the members know anyone with a Chinese scoot, get them to change the valves pronto.
The stems pop out of the rubber and its an interesting ride from thereon in. Mine popped out at 80k/mh I replaced them with "high speed" 90 degree valves, which have nuts on the stem on the inside of the rim.
The factory issues are deadly dangerous and need to be replaced. We have had recalls in Australia over these issues on many brands.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Tire pressure monitoring   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:55 am

Tire pressure monitoring is a must but a real pain.

I have seen a few different typs of monitors out there but wondered if any of my S/W friends have had any experience with them?

Thanks in advance. I love using and sharing on this site.

Happy Thanks giving

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 11:45 am

Do you mean the ones that are fitted on the valves or a tyre-pressure gauge?

I use an old-fashioned 'pencil' type I bought in 1968 when I got my first car.
They are still readily available and cost next to nothing.

For example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-26443-Tyre-Pressure-gauge/dp/B0001K9RHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290617061&sr=8-1

I've heard bad things about the ones that screw on like a dust-cap but since I haven't ever had them, I can say only that it's hearsay.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 8:19 pm

No I am talking about the sensors that are put into the wheel and they you get an automatic reading of the front and back.

I just finished putting on the Diablos about 150 miles ago and fortunately after going for a short 65 mile ride and almost back home my rear tire got jelloy

Thank goodness it happened when it did because it was cold and blowing 25 to 30 mile and hr. gusts and I was almost home.

Who knows how long it had been leaking but at 70 mph per hr and in traffic? Hell no.

From know on I want to know exactly how my only two tires are doing.

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:08 pm

Scooter tires loose air pressure faster than motorcycles and cars because for the most part scooter tires hold less air because of their smaller size. I don't think much about the electronic air pressure monitors. The problem is if you have those you'll be less likely to inspect your tires. Many time's I've checked motorcycle tires and found cuts or other damage in the tire. Anyone who doesn't check their tires at least a couple of times a month regardless of psi monitoring is just an accident waiting to happen. With four wheels a tire going suddenly flat is a major annoyance, on two wheels it's a lot more serious. Rather than an expensive electronic monitor these type valve caps do work pretty well and you still have to look at the tire.

http://www.truckspecialties.com/tirecheck.htm
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks but that is not the answer I was looking for. I have those cheep valve caps on my truck and they are not readable on the move.

I want something that I can see and maybe fell when my tire is going low.

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:50 am

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=6
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 1:20 am

Here's one which a buddy of mine uses on his and his mother's Burgmans. http://www.amazon.com/TireGard-Wireless-Motorcycle-Pressure-Monitor/dp/B0030CC34G/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1290752314&sr=8-15
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 1:22 am

P.S. I tried the Slime brand caps that are similar to the ones that Exavid suggested. I put them on in the morning and rode 40 miles to the start of a rally. My rear tire went from 40psi to about 20psi in the hour it took for me to get there. I tossed those caps immediately.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:15 pm

I know a couple of guys that use the pressure indicating caps with no problems though they aren't the same brand as those I linked to but rather come in specific air pressure ranges. I don't use anything but a weekly check with my dial type pressure gauge. My favorite gauge has a pressure hold feature so you can read it after you remove it from the valve stem. It also has a pressure release button that allows the release of air to drop the pressure to any desired level.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Anyone ever replace the valve with one that is easier to get to when putting air in? I always have an issue with the rear wheel when using my air compressor (it's a small 12v) where it takes a lot of jiggling to remove the nozzle from the valve stem.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 1:51 am

Hammy wrote:
Anyone ever replace the valve with one that is easier to get to when putting air in? I always have an issue with the rear wheel when using my air compressor (it's a small 12v) where it takes a lot of jiggling to remove the nozzle from the valve stem.

When I mounted my front Michelin Gold Standard tire, I used an Ariete valve ( http://www.ariete.com/layout/layout.eroom?MENU=0H6&SUBMENU=0H21&TINDEX=0H331&ITEM=PRODUCT&LAYOUT=motorcycle_accessories ).

The Ariete valve does not need to be replace when changing tires. It has a lower height profile. I will have to measure tomorrow, but I believe the valve will be a little width.

I liked how the Ariete valve is securely held in place ( not by rubber ) by the screw.

When I replace my rear Darkside tire, I will replace the rear with an Ariete valve.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 11:46 am

Those valve stems look pretty neat. Bike Effects (http://www.bikeeffects.com/proddetail.asp?prod=119701) has ones similar to the Arietes (http://www.ariete.com/layout/layout.eroom?MENU=H6&SUBMENU=H21&TINDEX=0H331&ITEM=PRODUCT&LAYOUT=motorcycle_accessories) for $29 shipped in US. Bill, what are some of the differences you find with these valves? Do you have any problems with filling these up with a portable air compressor?

Last edited by Hammy on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Hammy wrote:
Those valve stems look pretty neat. Bike Effects (http://www.bikeeffects.com/proddetail.asp?prod=119701) has ones similar to the Arietes (http://www.ariete.com/layout/layout.eroom?MENU=H6&SUBMENU=H21&TINDEX=0H331&ITEM=PRODUCT&LAYOUT=motorcycle_accessories)

If you put "(space" "URL" "space)" around your URLs, then it will remain clickable

( http://www.bikeeffects.com/proddetail.asp?prod=119701 )
( http://www.ariete.com/layout/layout.eroom?MENU=H6&SUBMENU=H21&TINDEX=0H331&ITEM=PRODUCT&LAYOUT=motorcycle_accessories )

Last edited by honda_silver on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks Bill.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Hammy wrote:
what are some of the differences you find with these valves? Do you have any problems with filling these up with a portable air compressor?

The cheapest I saw on Amazon with price + shipping.

The biggest difference is that

1) they do not have be replaced like other valve stems, which is cheaper in the long run

2) these valves will not flex when (because of minimal rubber) attaching the compressor

With less flexing, there is a possibility they might have reduced air loss ... no proof just a theory.

3) I believe when I mount on the rear wheel it will be easier because of the lower profile ... moving the valve closer to wheel and with a longer valve distance
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks! It's always the back wheel that's a problem for me; the flex on the rubber stem always made me end up losing a good 7psi from the time I filled to the time I could wrestle the air compressor nozzle off. On Amazon, it's about $32 including shipping through a merchant: (. http://www.amazon.com/Ariete-RACING-VALVES-GLD-11-3MM-11970-GOLD/dp/B001EFGOYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290881053&sr=8-1).
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Hammy wrote:
On Amazon, it's about $32 including shipping through a merchant: (. http://www.amazon.com/Ariete-RACING-VALVES-GLD-11-3MM-11970-GOLD/dp/B001EFGOYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290881053&sr=8-1).

That is gold color ... here is the silver color which closely matches the Silverwing wheel ( http://www.amazon.com/Ariete-RACING-VALVES-SIL-11-3MM-11970-ALL/dp/B001EFD6UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1290888365&sr=1-1 ).
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi Bill, Those are nice. I did a little looking and found them for $27.45 on this thread.

http://www.throttleworx.com/Ariete_Aluminum_11_3mm_Valve_Stems_Silver_p/tr213905.htm

If we keep looking, I'm sure we can find them for $25.00 or close to it.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Amazon seems cheapest at about $32 with shipping for the Ariete. The ones from Bike Effects (not Ariete brand but looks similar) are about $30 including shipping. I checked Throttleworx but their shipping is pretty expensive.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:17 pm

DennisB wrote:
Those are nice. I did a little looking and found them for $27.45 on this thread.

http://www.throttleworx.com/Ariete_Aluminum_11_3mm_Valve_Stems_Silver_p/tr213905.htm

With $14.25 UPS shipping.

We were showing cost+shipping.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Maybe those Slime tire pressure caps would work better with an aluminum valve stem like this...
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Bill, Some of these company's are sure shipping price happy. I have found that if you call these places you can get a much, much better deal on the cost of shipping.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 5:44 pm

DennisB wrote:
Some of these company's are sure shipping price happy.

Which is why I always check the total price.

DennisB wrote:
I have found that if you call these places you can get a much, much better deal on the cost of shipping.

You would have to negotiate the shipping cost to $4.39 just to be the same as Amazon cost + shipping or lower to be cheaper. I prefer to do business with the companies that are upfront with their total price ( cost and shipping ) versus having to call each one to get a better price.

Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:33 am

The Ariete valve on the front has greatly reduced the air loss. I checked my air pressure over ~3 months without filling the tire ... I only lost ~2 PSI. Which is a lot less then the OEM Honda valves.

When I replace my rear Darkside tire, I will replace the rear with the other Ariete valve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Checked the air in my tires after a month   Checked the air in my tires after a month I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Checked the air in my tires after a month
Page 1 of 1