Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 7:13 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil

Go down 
+5
GHM-PM
tankyuong
bigbird
Mudnman
cotetoi
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil Empty
PostSubject: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 7:21 pm

Rotella heavy duty diesel oil is highly recommended by motorcyclists on other Honda motorcycle forums. I happened to pick up a  gallon of the stuff in Wal-Mart and realised when I got home that it is the energy saving type!
My question is: Will it work in the SWing, where there is not a wet clutch per se.?

Okay, I read the Rotella thread and realise that this is loaded question. However, I'd like to hear from people who have actually used it, and from those with expert knowledge of the SWing and its engine to voice an opinion as to the oil's suitability. All I know is that the SWing has no conventional clutch mechanism, so why would friction modifiers matter, if not actually benefit the engine?

I'm all ears. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 8:25 pm

T-6 is what I used.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 8:32 pm

I'll chime in first.
You're right, there is no wet clutch, which the moly in the energy saving oil would eventually interfere with.

The other issue is the valve train. Motorcycle (and Rotella T and T6) oils have extra ZDDP (basically zinc) and other metals added to the oil to protect and lubricate the valve train. The high pressures and loads on diesel engines require better lubrication. Some people believe that the same extra protection is required for high rpm valve trains. If so, my question would then be, how come high rpm valve trains, like those in exotic engines such as Porsche to name one, don't require heavy duty diesel type oils?

So I don't believe that diesel or motorcycle specific oils are required for a non-wet clutch engine.

However, if it were me, and I have no scientific basis to go by, I would not run energy conserving oil in any engine whose manufacturer tells me to specifically not run energy conserving oil.

Honda knows a lot more what its engine's require for lubrication than I do. That's why even the Silverwing specifies a JASO MA rated oil, not an energy conserving oil.

I expect John Grinsel to chirp in shortly about how his gazillion miles of rubber band 2 wheeling have gone tickety-boo while using WalMart's cheap house brand automotive motor oil.

So, in the end, you have lots of opinions, but no definitive scientific answer.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 9:35 pm

i tried energy conserve oil once and didnt notice any difference
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2014 9:59 pm

I have used both also and noticed little or no difference. Used Rotella T-6 last time.
Back to top Go down
Tourezrick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2014-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2014 12:05 pm

I'm a fan of Mobil 1, which I have used in a Prius, a Jaguar X Type, a '69 Corvette with a bored and stroked engine, oil cooler and Accusump. I only wish Mobil 1 had been around in the early '70's when I was racing sports cars! Have no doubt they would have saved me lots of grief.
That being said, and having 25,000 miles on the clock on my 2002, warranty issues are not a consideration any more. I would like to know why Honda sticks with its recommendation to not use synthetic, and would like to know what Honda race teams use in their engines.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Well, deed done: T5 is in the crankcase, with Fram 6704 oil filter. SWing is down for the long winter sleep: battery off. She'll get a light beauty treatment a little later on and maybe a massage here and there. I've got a chair lined up in case she needs company.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 2:19 am

Shouldn't bother the SW engine at all. The only consideration about friction modifiers in motorcycle usage is the problem with wet clutches. You don't want to reduce friction in a clutch. The engine in the SW is water cooled and not a high revving design. Demands are much the same as on a typical automobile engine and oils that are suitable for those are suitable for the SW or any other water cooled scooter that has a similar transmission system. If one kept very good fuel burn records the friction reducing oils might show a slight increase in mileage. I know my last SW had no problem with DELO and my current BMW650GT doesn't seem to mind either. DELO is an oil designed for diesel engines. I ran my 1500 Goldwing over 175,000 miles with the stuff and when I sold it the compression was still almost the same as new and it wasn't burning any oil between changes.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks for all the input, guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. Exavid, you reassured me tremendously. You have used the stuff yourself and your various rides had no problems. I have no problem either with the folks who stay with the manufacturers' recommendations. I am not cutting corners, just opting for a cheaper product that works just as good.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 8:25 pm

cotetoi wrote:
Exavid, you reassured me tremendously. You have used the stuff yourself and your various rides had no problems.

Rolling Eyes Did Ex mention that he gives a life time warranty with all his oil recommendations?...But you've got ride the SW out to his place to collect on that warranty. Operative word here being 'ride'.

You might also take note that he doesn't actually ride a SW any longer. Wink

Now just where are Meldrew's acidic remarks or Mr Grinsel's well-aged research when we need them?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Now just where are Meldrew's acidic remarks or Mr Grinsel's well-aged research when we need them?

Nooooooo, please don't go there!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 12:36 am

Two subjects seem to get beaten to death on motorcycle forums. Lubricating fluid and those large black round rubber things.

Yes, I don't have a SW at the moment. I bought and sold two Silverwings and a Burgman 650 before finding my BMW650GT. None of the first three scooters had ABS which is mostly why I ended up with the GT. I won't rule out another SW in the future though. If I came across a nice one with ABS some day I might bite though it's hard to get a Jeep, car, K1100LT and more than one scooter in the garage. So many scooters to ride so little time... Though maybe if I sold my table saw...

Actually there were a couple of reasons I went with the GT. I bought it in February. It has a heated seat and grips besides the ABS. Did I mention February and a heated seat?
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 6:44 am

I would worry that the rotella would wreak havoc on the flux capacitor! Also i think the sludge pump will struggle to push it thru! Hopefully you filtered it thru a cheese cloth to remove the ZDDP and the friction modifiers out of it before pouring it in, otherwise i think your screwed!! Heaven only knows what the hydrocarbons and the polalphaolefins will do! Have mercy, what about the polyinternal olefins? If you decide to leave the oil in, i wouldnt go over the 10kph mark. Just kidding........

Simple rule for oil: pour flavor of the month in (usually whatever is left over from atv,lawnmower,car etc), ride the bejeezus out of it.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2014 8:03 am

I'll keep you guys posted; you'll have to wait awhile, though. Getting our first dusting of the four-letter word today on the Bay of Fundy. So, what do SWingers do when they can't SWing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil   Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rotella T5 ( energy saving )oil
Page 1 of 1