Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications Empty
PostSubject: Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications   Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 6:18 am

The SilverWing stock saddle gets a fair amount of bad knocks. But(t) let's face it - the comfort of any motorcycle saddle is very subjective. That said, several days of 500+ miles in the stock SilverWing saddle made us decide to send our saddles to a local upholstry shop (Norm's Upholstry) for a complete redo. The result was not less expensive than a new Corbin, but the custom saddle has been worth it from our comfort perspective. Corbins and the others are nice, but if you can - support your local craftsman.

http://silverwing600.forumotion.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-jdeereanton/Custom-Saddles-pic_51.htm
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications   Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 am

Dale,

The seats look great. So now, if the stock seat is a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, what would the new seat be, in your estimate. Also, did you have to give your shop certain directions on how to make it or what to use? I didn't know that these shops could do things like this. They really look great.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications   Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 6:30 am

Jeff,
All,

On a 1 to 10 scale I'd say mine is probably a 9, Kim says hers is a 10 and she is fully satisfied with hers. My assessment is not influenced by price, but rather the subjective value of comfort. For me a 200-300 mile ride is barely felt and is truly comfortable. 500+ miles still gets a little bit uncomfortable, but much - much less than the stock saddle. Kim says she is still good (other than fatigue) after 500+ miles and could go a bit more.

We were fortunate with our shop. I knew of Norm from some time I spent in an Acura Service Department. Norm was our go to guy for leather seat repairs. He also rides a really nice HD and does lot's of work on bike saddles, so we knew he was up to the task.

I had taken lots of photos of Corbin and Russell Day Long saddles and brought those with me when I went to talk to Norm about the redo. He asked lots of questions about what we were looking for in terms of our placement on the bike and riding range. He had been able to see both of us ride so he knew some of how we sat on the bikes. I'm about 2 inches farther back than Kim and she is about 1/2" lower in the saddle. Mine is also a bit more scalloped (bowl like) the front tip (pommel) was raised a bit.

We did ask him to come up with a way to attach Corbin seat backs, which he was able to do with out affecting the storage capacity.

We were able to pick our covers from the variety of sample books and had the ability to really customize the seats with leather/vinyl combinations and color selections.

Of course it is impossible to ever be fully satisfied so I've purchased a used Corbin saddle and am working with Norm to reshape it and see what can be done to give me a bit more range.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications   Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Saddles - Saddle Modifications
Page 1 of 1