Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Windshields part 83

Go down 
+3
john grinsel
Meldrew
LDB
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

Windshields part 83 Empty
PostSubject: Windshields part 83   Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 11:39 am

I've got a few hundred miles now and every time I ride I'm looking well above the top of my windshield. I was about 1" higher initially and with my Airhawk it's about 2" now.

I know I'd like to have something more batwing shaped that would hopefully direct airflow well enough to blow bugs out around the grips instead of smacking me in the hands. Some of them must have concrete bodies as they can really smart.

I think I'd like to have 1-1.5" taller to give a bigger wind/rain free zone for myself, although I haven't been in the rain yet and won't ever be if I can help it.

So, is there such a windshield or something close to it? Any and all constructive replies and suggestions will be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Windshields part 83   Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 12:01 pm

The Airflow is pretty good in the rain and as long as you're doing over 50mph the sides of the lower screen deflect rain away from your gloves. I posted a couple of years ago about being impressed with the screen after 300 miles of autobahn riding in heavy rain without the need for waterproof pants or rain gloves.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Windshields part 83   Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 12:11 pm

Having purchased and used Clearview/Givi Fixed and the Givi Adjustable----the Givi adjustable works best in my book.

Problem with maxi scooters is the distance your nose in from tip of the shield.

The adjustable provides good weather protection and minimal buffeting. In rain only my outer 2 fingers can get wet with non waterproof gloves. AND safe look over!! Looking thru shield does not work/is dangerous...think rain/snow/sleet/oncoming headlites at nite, etc.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Windshields part 83   Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 8:38 pm

No, I don't want to look through, just not as high over the top. I haven't seen any batwing shaped windshields but thought I'd ask in case someone else knew of one.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Windshields part 83   Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi LDB,
My Givi standard windshield has served me well for the past six years. I don't mind looking thru the unit; rather I prefer to do that. If needed (and that has happened) I can stretch enough to look over the top. The wide, lower portion (you call the bat wings) of this Givi seems to protect my hands very well as far as bugs, rain, debris, and 'some' cold goes. Naturally, if it's cold and/or wet enough, nothing is going to help. Granted, I'm not a full time rider like some on here and susceptible to bad conditions more often but just wanted you to be aware of my preference. Good Luck!!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Windshields part 83   Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 10:07 pm

I'm sold on the Givi Adjustable. When I was hit by a red light running hit and run car driving idiot and broke my Givi Adjustable I replaced it immediately. I have one on both of my Silverwings and wouldn't have any other windshield. If it's too low I can raze it and if it's too high I can lower it. So it's got the "bat wings" you want and you can adjust it to the height you want. I change the height when I use my Airhawk seat cushion and lower it when not using the cushion.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Windshields part 83   Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to check out the Givi windshields.
Back to top Go down
flavioguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Windshields part 83   Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 10:06 am

I too have the Givi AF214 adjustable. The best shield I've had on any bike. It makes riding at high speeds easy and quiet. My only concern is the quality of the material. I only use Plexus and a clean microfiber cloth and it has started showing scratches. That didn't happened on my Cee Bailey or even on my Honda PCX150 windshield. :-(

Anyone else had that problem?
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Windshields part 83   Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 1:52 pm

model28a wrote:
I'm sold on the Givi Adjustable. When I was hit by a red light running hit and run car driving idiot and broke my Givi Adjustable I replaced it immediately. I have one on both of my Silverwings and wouldn't have any other windshield. If it's too low I can raze it and if it's too high I can lower it. So it's got the "bat wings" you want and you can adjust it to the height you want. I change the height when I use my Airhawk seat cushion and lower it when not using the cushion.

BIG +1! When the weather is nice I often get a hankering for the wind to buffet me around a bit so that I know I am alive, having a great time, and feel as one with my environment - which is when I lower it. When I want a truly naked bike feel with my 'old man's scooter' I will take the GIVI adjustable off (the top part), stow in in my GIVI top box, and ride like the wind! However, on longer rides, I cower behind the protective features of the high setting of the windscreen and still can see everything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windshields part 83   Windshields part 83 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windshields part 83
Page 1 of 1