Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Windshields revisited

Go down 
+6
JohnyC
AldusFran
Dale N.
SwingMing
smellybeard
GHM-PM
10 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

Windshields revisited Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2023 6:08 am

Aloha and Welcome to the Forum SwingMing from the UK
Make friends with the search bar for all things Silverwing and a bit more besides.
Just search "Windscreens"
There are 2 schools of thoughts regarding windscreens, both from Givi.
Givi DT 214 extra tall fixed screen(tallest) or AR214 adjustable(not so tall).
Plenty of comments on both in the search bar.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!

99 Suzuki Burgman AN400 with a few mods
09 Honda Silverwing FJS600 with a lot more mods.

Ps. I'm 6.5", was using the DT214, now using the AR214.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2023 7:13 am

Welcome SwingMing! I too have a Silver Wing and a Forza! Love both of them. I am 6'0" and the stock windshield had to go... I bought a custom Cee Bailey unit cut to my specs and it is great, sadly though they no longer make them for us. So Givi is the way to go, I prefer the fixed unit rather than the adjustable but whatever works is great! I installed a fixed Givi shield on my Forza and it made a huge difference!
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2023 12:09 pm

Welcome.
If you want to see over the screen, you're going to have to put up with wind noise.
Back to top Go down
SwingMing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SwingMing

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2023-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2023 12:21 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Problem with windscreens is the same as seats. People have different asses as they do opinions lol. All I’ve seen is the givi options and it seems more and more people are opting for the OEM screen. My Forza has the short shield, and it’s honestly perfect. But I rarely ride it over 50 mph. When I do it’s totally fine, upper body just gets clean air. Anyone with a short shield on a Swing? I’m tempted to cut mine but I don’t want to get beat up cruising 70+ which is the main reason I wanted the bigger scoot. The wind noise isn’t terrible, but it’s definitely loud and I’ll need earplugs if I keep the stock on
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2023 4:54 pm

Welcome SwingMing to the BEST SWing forum on the net.
I have an 08 SWing with a Clearview XL screen. I think the XL stands for Extra Large. Not really sure but it's the one that came with the SWing when I bought it from my sister in Florida. She tipped it over in her yard and needed the neighbor to help her pick it back up. She figured that if it happened on the road she'd be in trouble so she offered it to me. I got on this forum to explore the SWing's ups and downs and found out there's not many downs. So my son and I took a trip to FL to get it and I haven't regretted it since. It's a great machine!
Since then I had a Motor Trike kit put on it about 8 years ago and have no regrets about that either.
That's my baby!!!
Windshields revisited Coborn60
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2023 12:20 pm

SwingMing wrote:
...I rarely ride it over 50 mph. When I do it’s totally fine, upper body just gets clean air. Anyone with a short shield on a Swing?
I use the up and down Givi (as in the snow covered December photo) and I keep it down at minimum most of the time. From riding naked bikes (as opposed to riding bikes naked), I've concluded that even very small screens deflect air into the riders face and helmet and that no screen at all gives the least wind noise. For going paces speeds above 80km/h/ 50mph, I stick the screen up to just below eyeline and stick in a set of earplugs. I recently had my head examined and the audiologist reckoned I had the best hearing she had ever witnessed in my age group.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2023 12:52 pm

welcome Swing Ming ; I'am 5'8" and have the fix Givi screen and really enjoy it compared to the original windshield. Last Swing had the original screen and I added one of those wind deflectors which worked OK but still too much wind noise.
Back to top Go down
SwingMing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SwingMing

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2023-12-18

PostSubject: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 pm

Windshields revisited F1c50610
Windshields revisited 4bbe2c10
Windshields revisited D5d96910

Added this new double bubble windshield. Verdict still out on it. Even less wind protection than stock. Looks good though.
Back to top Go down
PerryH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2024-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2024 1:48 pm

Hi SwingMing,

Any update for your short double bubble windshield. How do you like it? Where did you purchase it from?

I am looking for a short windshield for my 2004 Silverwing 600. I am having a hard time finding shorter options.

thanks,
Perry
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 3:03 pm

Hi PerryH

Have a look at the Givi AF214 windscreen, the top section is adjustable or removeable, I think it would serve your purpose well.
Google is your friend!

hope this helps

Be safe, be seen!

Last edited by JohnyC on Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 4:30 pm

There isn't a Givi AR214 for the Silver Wing, there is though the Givi AF214 Airflpw two piece screen of which there are numerous topics about. The lower handlebars half of the screen is fixed, the top section is height adjustable. It runs on two moulded rains on the lower section and locks into the desired position with two clamps.

The top section is also available to purchase separately as a replacement. I know this because I had two separate incidents of the top section detatching itself and flying off at speeds of 70mph. The first time the top section flew off on the A1 (M) in North Yorkshire and struck my helmet, cleanly taking off the top air scoop off my Schuberth J1 as it sailed over my head.

The second one flew off in the stretch of M6 motorway between Gretna and Carlisle. Both incidents I still remember vividly even though they happened over ten years ago.

The wind noise having to ride on with just the bottom section was deafening, and really uncomfortably even wearing custom made earplugs. Not to mention helmet and clothing spattered with dead bugs.
Back to top Go down
PerryH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 am

Hi,

I think I'm going to try to cut down my existing windshield first. If I botch it up I'll look for a replacement.

Best regards,
Perry
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2024 1:00 pm

They aren't that hard to cut down. Slow and easy. Paul
Back to top Go down
Dsinger1313
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2024-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 8:57 am

[quote="gustav"]They aren't that hard to cut down. Slow and easy. Paul[/quote

What did you use to cut the factory windshield down. Thinking of doing mine since it is all frosted up…
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 8:20 pm

Howdy Dsinger1313. I used a handheld jigsaw, masking tape on both sides, draw the profile you want with a sharpie. Use fine blade, take your time, clean the cut up with a sanding block, or whatever then take a propane torch, turned down very low, be careful and clean up the cut. I paid to have a few shields cut down, never again. Like I say, "Slow and Easy." Good luck, Paul
Back to top Go down
PerryH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 4:17 pm

I taped both sides and used a dremel with a cutting wheel. The hardest part was marking out the design. The cutting was easy. Slow and steady. Cleaned it up with sandpaper. I really like the low windshield. Lots of videos on the tube to show you how.

Best regards,
Perry
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:02 pm

Very good! It's easy, once you know the secret. Paul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windshields revisited   Windshields revisited I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windshields revisited
Page 1 of 1