Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 2:56 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Intro and couple of questions..

Go down 
+3
bigbird
MikeO
Marcusm
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Marcusm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-09-14

Intro and couple of questions.. Empty
PostSubject: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi all,

My name is Marcus and I live in the uk. Recently I just got an 07 plate silverwing so far very impressed.

Main areas I just want to check are do all silver wings vibrate from the front under acceleration? I'm just noticing it abit that's all through my feet.

Secondly before I went to work this morning I noticed patches on the floor not that big, they aren't too dark which to me suggests it may not be oil but condensation from the cover being on overnight.but when I got in this eve I went and checked it again and there was a new patch. Seems to be isolated to the right hand side of the engine whilst on centre stand. Any ideas? How can I tell difference from oil to dirty coolant water on the floor? Sorry about silly questions.

Bike has done 25,000miles and in great condition just want to make sure it's nothing serious.

Again hello to all and thanks in advance

Marcus
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Hello Marcus and welcome!

Can't answer your questions but the only silly ones are those that are not asked!

Someone will help.
Back to top Go down
Marcusm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Cheers mikeo it's the exhaust side of the engine when I mean right hand side!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi Marcus.

Your first concern, vibration under acceleration, is very common to all stock Swings. There is a very good but not complete solution, that being to change out the variator rollers to aftermarket Dr. Pulley sliders. Do a search here of Dr. Pulley sliders.

Regarding the fluid under your bike, smell it. Dab your finger and take a sniff. Oil, coolant, and water have very different and distinct odours. If you can't identify, try someone who can.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Did someone change the oil recently? There's a plate under the engine that oil spills on when you change oil and if it's not wiped real good oil will drip off it making it look like you have a leak.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi Marcusm. I'm wondering if you are having the same vibration problem that I was. It was recommended to me to hold the brake and rev the engine up to 4000 rpm for about 4 seconds to deglaze the clutch pads. I tried that a couple of days ago and it worked great. I got mine up to around 3800 rpms and counted off 5 seconds in my head. Since then I've been able to take off smoothly and without any vibrations. I'm not sure if that's your same problem but it might be worth a try.
Back to top Go down
Marcusm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 3:19 am

Thanks for replying guys. It does not smell strong enough to be oil but when i look up at the engine from laying on the floor the rubber gromets look asif something may have come from there. But hard to tell ill see if it drops anything after being on centre stand today at work and perhaps lay some paper on floor when i get home. Dale i tried the deglazing thing this morning helped a little but im thinking it may just be nature of bike now as only really happens when u give it a twist to go even when your moving.

i do love the bike i had a 2009 fz6 s2 before this and that was a cracker to but had no storage where the silverwing is an arm chair on wheels with ample storage.

on average what mileage do people do between oil changes? I used to go 3-4k before changing the oil on my fz6. According to the service history oil was last done around 20500 miles and shes done 25000 now.

thanks all
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 7:43 am

You should change the oil now. If nothing else you'll have peace of mind, and it is at the service interval time anyway. Check your coolant reservoir level: peek under the front fairing on the right side and you'll see a window. The reservoir is what you'd be looking at, and it is scored so you can tell the level easily. Use a flashlight.
If it is low you should check the radiator cap which is under the front right storage compartment. I'm thinking that the cap may not be fully engaged and is spewing coolant which is slowly dripping when you stop. Any of your warning lights coming on ?
Back to top Go down
Marcusm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks for the reply. Ill check these things over soon. Would coolant really find its way from front all the way back to under the engine? Guess its possible...
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 7:53 am

Marcusm wrote:
It does not smell strong enough to be oil but when i look up at the engine from laying on the floor the rubber gromets look asif something may have come from there.

If oil is seeping from the rubber grommet where a wire exits the crankcase, that is your stator seal leaking. Some do leak and weep with age. It's a big job to fix, as that grommet is not individually replaceable, it's part of a whole new stator. Some have had luck with silicone type sealers. Otherwise, ignore it and wipe it down after every ride.
Back to top Go down
Marcusm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 am

Thanks big bird. Ill try and put some sealant round it as a precaution at some point. Its not a large amount by any means just any leak i tend to worry about it
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Intro and couple of questions.. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 10:06 am

Welcome Marcusm. There is a hose located under the area of the filter that goes from one side to the other. On mine, it had a cut on top that started leaking under pressure. I assumed that someone had cut it while trying to change the filter. I replaced it and had no other problems. Just part of the fun of buying a used scooter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intro and couple of questions..   Intro and couple of questions.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intro and couple of questions..
Page 1 of 1