Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Couple of questions re: Swings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Couple of questions re: Swings Empty
PostSubject: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 10:01 am

Does the driver's seat have just the one position or is there a switch/toggle under the seat to move it forward or back?

And do you know if one can order bungie pegs for the passenger hand rails? If not, what is the best way to attach luggage, etc.?

Thanks again!

Bry

P.S. Beautiful day here, we're riding for sure! Ride safe if you're out and about, too! motorcycle
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 10:55 am

The seat itself doesn't move, but you can move the butt rest forward, giving you some options as far as how far forward or back you sit on the seat. To do this, open the seat, raise it up - maybe your seat holder works or maybe not; if not, use something to hold the seat up as far as it'll go.

If you then look under the seat, around where the butt rest is attached, you should be able to find two bolts that are holding the butt rest in its place. One on either side of the butt rest area. As you loosen these, you'll be able to slide the butt rest forward, and you'll see the sliders that are inserted into the seat. When you have it where you want it, you can tighten up these bolts and it should stay in its new location.

As far as bungee pegs, I've never heard of these, but I'm sure you could drill some holes and attach some appropriate eye bolts or other suitable bolts to the hand rails. Optionally, you can use bungees hooked to the hand rail itself - this works fine in my experience; or you can use flat straps that can be wrapped under/around the rails, then around your luggage/parcels, etc., and cinched up tight with whatever type of buckle they come with for this purpose.

Ride safe..........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 11:15 am

[quote="matthew"]The seat itself doesn't move, but you can move the butt rest forward, giving you some options as far as how far forward or back you sit on the seat.

Thanks, Matthew! Butt rest was the phrase I meant to use. And thanks for explaining how it can be moved. I couldn't figure it out from a quick glance under the seat but can now totally picture it.

Good to know bungees will work...also I noticed that Aerostitch sells frame loops for attaching straps.

Cheers,

Bry
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 12:17 pm

You're welcome Bry. Enjoy the beautiful riding weather.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 1:04 pm

GratefulGrrl wrote:
[Butt rest was the phrase I meant to use. And thanks for explaining how it can be moved. I couldn't figure it out from a quick glance under the seat but can now totally picture it.

You can totally remove the butt rest if you want ... it leaves some plastic mounts that I cover them with my X-Large Alaskan sheepskin.

I am thinking about drilling out the rivets (as someone mentioned).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 5:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill, but I sense you're a bit taller than me. I need the back rest as forward as it can go! I'm 5'1"!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 8:35 pm

GratefulGrrl wrote:
I sense
you're a bit taller than me. I need the back rest as forward as it can
go! I'm 5'1"!

If you get a chance to adjust the backrest, I would suggest taking it completely out and looking at the backside of the backrest.

When I installed the Utopia backrest, the instructions said to remove the metal plate at the center base of the butt rest. When I had the butt rest, the backside of my tailbone would be uncomfortable, after I removed the metal plate (which does not have a lot of padding on the front ... I never had tailbone discomfort since.

So even though you are a tad shorter than me Smile , if you find tailbone discomfort you can either raise the buttrest to a backrest (Leroy Beal) or choose an alternative backrest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 8:42 pm

Bill, is Leroy Beal the person selling the Swing/Helix backrest on eBay?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 9:02 pm

GratefulGrrl wrote:

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/backrest/backrest.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks, Bill. That's very helpful!
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 9:37 pm

[quote="honda_silver"]
GratefulGrrl wrote:

In answer to your question - No, I don't believe Leroy Beal is selling the backrest on ebay. As far as I know, Leroy is the one that came up with the idea to make the brackets and raise the butt rest up into a backrest position. The brackets sold on ebay are slightly different, modified somewhat, but basically work on the same idea.

A neighbor who bought a S'Wing after drooling over mine for a couple of years, ordered the ebay backrest. It didn't work out very well for him. But he is 6'4". The Utopia backrest gives him much more room and is much better built. If you have the $, Utopia is definitely the way to go. I have a home brewed backrest that works for me. I wanted a Utopia, but couldn't justify the cost at the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanks, Mike. If that's your bike in your avatar, then your home-brewed version looks pretty darned good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couple of questions re: Swings   Couple of questions re: Swings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Couple of questions re: Swings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: