Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-05-31

Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  Empty
PostSubject: Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage    Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2022 3:35 pm

If I have to store my 2005 silverwing for a couple of months and don’t have access to a battery recharger /outlet Outside  — should I just remove the battery and have the recharger - trickler  charge the battery at home ?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage    Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2022 4:25 pm

Yes, removing battery is a good idea, cover airbox inlet and exhaust, but do not seal with plastic, use rags, etc., a proper bike cover that breathes is always best(tarps  Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  1f616 ) , try to position out possible windy areas, etc.
On side stand, parking brake set, piece of wood or metal under side stand, JIC. is best outside.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage    Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2022 6:31 pm

Why don't you hire a storage unit for a couple of months. I had to put my Silver Wing in a storage unit for 6 or 7 weeks way back, and the only condition stipulated was to ensure the fuel tank was low before storing it.

I wheeled the scooter into the storage unit, hauled it up onto it's main stand, put the steering lock on, and that was all.

When I took it out of storage, I took my Optimate charger with expecting to have the put the battery on charge for a few hours on the ground floor. It wasn't necessary as the Silver Wing started first press of the button, I already checked the tyre pressures and they were fine too.

So it was round to the nearest supermarket to fill up with fresh fuel, and then home the long way.

Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage    Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2022 8:03 pm

If I was storing any bike for a few months I would be concerned about surface corrosion, the battery, vermin, and the fuel. We're not big on ethanol here (yet) but I hear bad things about fuel going off, so I would have a full tank (less chance of corrosion on the tank inside) and add a fuel stabilizer. Remove the battery and trickle charge it. I don't think the SW has an airbox that would appeal to critters (Honda VFRs and STs seem like mouse magnets however) but have seen some bad things with chewed wires; not sure whether this is a concern wherever you are. Maybe coat the exposed fork tubes with some grease to stop them rusting. Overfill the tyres (and drop back to normal pressure before riding) to stop any flatspots developing.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage    Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 8:09 am

A good cover is absolutely essential especially if you get any wind. I bought cheap covers and they tear up in a short time.

I bought this cover for my Goldwing 1800 and used it on my Yamaha V-Star. Now it fits on my Forza! A bit big but not a problem, have been using this one for 5 years and it is wearing like iron. My Silver Wing rests in a covered garage but my Forza doesn't have that luxury. So I highly recommend the below cover, in fact it is on sale right now:

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/bilt-deluxe-motorcycle-cover
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage    Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Storing the silverwing for the a couple of months with no garage
Page 1 of 1