Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

GPS Navigation system for car

Go down 
+6
misterroy2
Opalsboy
exavid
DennisB
dspevack
tankyuong
10 posters
AuthorMessage

GPS Navigation system for car Empty
PostSubject: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:12 pm

I want to purchase a GPS navigation system for my wife's car since she has started traveling a lot. I have seen many of you mention such systems so please advise. What would be a good, easy to use (for a non-techie type), system that would not break the bank??

Your input is much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:37 pm

Any cheap garmin will do
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 1:07 am

If all you want is the Nav system, I recommend Garmin, as it is plug and play, and you can add your own custom Icon and POIs to it.

However, if its going to be installed in a car, depending on what else you want to do, the ones designed for the car to replace a radio can host a whole lot more features, such as backup camera, digital radio, traffic info, hookups for IPOD, sirius/xm, CD changer, phone interface, for handsfree, etc. The high end garmins can do most of this too, (except the backup camera, disc changer and A/V interface). There is a bit of satisfaction to having it all built in, where you don't have to worry about it.

I have the Garmin 550 for my bike, and I removed the out-of-date Nav system from my 2001 Mercedes, and added the JVC 7000 combo nav/radio/kitchen sink. Its got everything above and more, and it is the only one made for the car that also has a detachable face that you can take with, or lock in the glove compartment to deter theives if you wish.

Only downside to this unit is you can't download into it your own POIs.
But with 12 million POIs already installed, I haven't missed anything.

Dan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 7:27 am

I have a Garmin 650 (which I think has now been replaced with a 655). I move it back and forth between my car and my Swing. My husband found it on the web, and bought a pair of reconditioned units for the price of a single unit. I'm pretty sure he got it on Ebay.

This model has traffic alerts, can play music and, believe it or not, has navigaton features! Cool I can hook it up to my computer, and move stuff between garmins. I don't know if I can download points of interest, but that's b/c I haven't tried.

As to the ease of use, my mom can figure it out, which means it's very user friendly.

Mandy
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Here's a TomTom One XL-S 4.3" Touchscreen Portable Bluetooth GPS Navigation System w/USA & Canada Maps & Text To Speech and it's only $92.99 on GEEKS. They say it's easy to use.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TOMTOM-ONE-XL-S-R&cpc=HPM

So many GPS's out their...just take your time. They might just have this as the DEAL of the DAY soon.

DennisB sunny
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:30 pm

I'd recommend buying the least expensive unit you can find that has text-to-speech. A lot of them say they have voice guidance but don't actually speak the street names for an upcoming turn. It's a big advantage to have one that speaks the street name because you may have your eyes busy looking for traffic and no time to spare to watch the GPS screen. It doesn't pay to spend too much on a GPS, the bells and whistles aren't all that useful, you can add POIs to most of the GPS made today. Buy an inexpensive one because in a couple years there will be much better ones available because these things are improving rapidly. If you don't spend much you won't feel bad about buying another improved one in a couple years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: re:GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:43 am

Thanks for all of the good suggestions. There are so many units out there I didn't know where to begin. Let the research commence.

I definitely want something that would fall into the category of "GPS navigation systems for dummies".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Definetely get a Garmin. All GPS are relatively unexpensive nowdays. You just need to decide which options are important to you. Unless you care about Bluetooth or built-in MP3 player, any one that pronounces street names would do. They all are easy to use. Check Garmin website, they have comparison tool. Also, Costco has been having good sales on GPS's. Otherwise, buy on-line once you decided which model you want. I like newegg.com and buydig.com. Miro.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Robin, I was exactly where you are once. The thing I did was to make a list of features I wanted... then just go to the Garmin, Magellan, Tomtom and any other manufacturer site and get some model numbers that match your features list. Then go to a retailer and shop. Take your time and get what you want. If you choose a particular model and still have questions, ask here if someone has had experience with that guy. GPS models are changing so fast now the one you pick might be obsolete by the time you make up your mind. Just be sure you choose what you want and live with that. I have a Garmin 680. Out of date now, but works great. Has more features than I had on my list. There are many out there that are just as good. Find yours and good hunting.
Gary
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 3:43 pm

WOW...Geeks just ran out of that TomTom. Just Sold out. 2 days later now....They are back in stock.

Last edited by DennisB on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : NOW back in stock)
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Never rely completely on your gps cause sometimes it will take around in circles.
Back to top Go down
misterroy2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-08-20

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 4:14 pm

You only get outy what you put in I found out I couldn't spell very well!!! once I spelled correctly it was fine

2007 S/W tow pac trike kit GIVI top box 12V power outlet ISO grips, clearview wind screen C/B mount, GPS mount Magellen 1250, Arm rest, Butler cup holders rider and Passenger, Driving lights D/B
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Yes, spelling helps, but as Tank says, sometimes the GPS can lead us astray. I would never follow a devise that is sending me down a railroad track that it thinks is I55. With all the stimulus funds being spent on highways in my area, lots of the roads are not on the map yet.
Gary
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 3:38 pm

I purchased a nuvi 40 LM and plan to use it on my Swing. If it looks like rain, I will cover it or take it off the mount. Is anyone else using one of these?
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 6:46 pm

All you smart phone users .... Give this free GPS/Interactive network app a try. http://www.waze.com/
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 10:56 am

you might consider a ram-mount aqua box. completely waterproof and has a touch-through screen cover.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/AquaBoxMounts/tabid/125/Default.aspx

Jesse
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:59 am

Jesse,
Thank You for the link. I just wasn't smart enough to figure out which mount and water proof cover would work. I have a Garmin now but it is an older model and I upgraded to a Garmin 40LM. What I have now is a mount that comes off the left brake reservoir. It is designed with two 1 inch ball clasps. The ball mount on the 40LM is about 5/8" so will have to bridge the two. I think I can do that and make it work. Will just put a plastic bag over it or take it off in wet weather. That is what I do now. It works good just old like me. The new GPS's are must easier to read and use.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 12:49 pm

So I don't believe RAM makes a direct mount for that smaller ball, but if you want to go the cheap route Ram-mount makes a cradle for your model http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045071065052057085/Default.aspx

Then look under compatible parts and find the 2-hole ball and the arm that best suits your needs.

or did you see this? http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Diameter-Handlebar-Mount-Garmin/dp/B005TKH2PC/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324403072&sr=1-5

The according to Ram-mount the nuvis fit in the Medium/Wide Size Aqua Box. http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAM-HOL-AQ6U-Medium-Wide/dp/B001RTOSRY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324402547&sr=8-2
Then you need the ball mount that goes to the back of the aqua box
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Went to the plumber shop purchased a Stainless Steel ball for a Delta Aquasourse and Glacier Bay and a ball pop up for a sink. Put the two together and with my existing mount works perfect with my Garmin 40LM.
Smile
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
GPS Navigation system for car 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:36 pm

DaveR wrote:
Went to the plumber shop purchased a Stainless Steel ball for a Delta Aquasourse and Glacier Bay and a ball pop up for a sink. Put the two together and with my existing mount works perfect with my Garmin 40LM.
Smile
Will the flush handles replace the brake levers? :lol!: We'll need to change your name from DaveR to McGuiver. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GPS Navigation system for car   GPS Navigation system for car I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GPS Navigation system for car
Page 1 of 1