Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 9:35 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Exhaust System

Go down 
+4
MikeO
dspevack
bigbird
ThePPH
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Hello Everyone. I am new obviously and I have been doing a lot reading up on my Honda Silverwing 600. I modify ever vehicle that I have ever owned in order to extract maximum horsepower and torque while trying to increase fuel economy and drop weight whenever possible to improve the driving experience. I am in the market for the best possible exhaust system on the market regardless of price. I see that a lot of folks have the Leo Vince and like it just fine. I like how it replaces the header pipe along with providing a different muffler with or without extra silencing characteristics. However, I have noticed that Leo Vince is now making a titanium version for the 400cc Silverwing and I would take titanium over stainless steel any day. I have also noticed a GPR speed code priced at $350 on ebay but I asked the seller about the header pipe and they assure me that the stock header pipe is optimized for flow and cannot be improved upon so they are only providing an un-baffled slip on muffler without a decibel reducing silencer unless you wish to pay extra. I have also noticed that there are Euro cans fitted to some Silverwings in other countries being shown on youtube. My personal goal is for good looks but most importantly I would like to free up maximum horsepower and torque regardless of noise suppression.

When I am done I will have Denso Iridium plugs, Mobil 1 synthetic 0W 40, K&N filter, full exhaust system, variator, power commander, kevlar belt with clutch upgrade and anything else I can do to extract maximum power from this scoot. I'd like to dyno tune everything together in the end and show at least 50hp at the rear tire. If I cannot make it happen I will not hesitate to check into a small turbo and custom fabrication.

I'm not a hot rodder but I love to get each machine I own to perform at optimum capability. I have a BMW 330 Ci Convertible that I cannot stop my quest for enhancing either.

I hope I don't come across as speed being all I care about, because I really like just cruising around in the cool night air, driving through the high forests and mountain roads here in Arizona just for the thrill of being out on the open road without being in a cage. I love to know that I have the power if I ever need it on tap ready to go at the twist of the throttle! In the end I would like to free all the hidden power my scooter has bottled up. All Hondas are capable of amazing things and built to last forever.

I do appreciate reading everyone's input on performance upgrades and ways to make our ride more enjoyable. Right now it is 112 degrees and I continue to ride my Silverwing every day to work, even though I could drive my car with an exceptional air conditioner instead. That is how much I love the Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Was there a question in there somewhere??
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Yeah, sorry for all of the rambling about what my plans are. My main question is are the exhaust systems interchangeable between the 400cc Silverwing and the 600cc Silverwing because I really want the full titanium Leo Vince Exhaust system for my 600cc wing!

Another question is: Has there been any dyno comparison between the stock exhaust system and other aftermarket exhausts to show a performance increase or decrease? What exhaust systems are available to order for our Silverwings here and abroad?

Thanks,
Scott
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:10 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Scott,
Check out my album linked in my sig. It will show the dyno tests I did.
The engine output (not the hp at the rear wheel) stock, is 50 hp.
So expecting to get that much at the rear wheel is a fantasy unless you modify the engine itself.
There is on the net, and I think someone here has the links for it, someone that modified a Silverwing engine for a snowmobile, and in the process added a turbo to it. I'm sure any high performance shop can do the same, but in that article they had all the specs etc.
As far as 400/600 interchangability goes, best bet is to email Leo Vince directly, and see what they say.

Dan
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Avoid the Kevlar replacement belt and keep the belt OEM. There have been reports of catastrophic Kevlar belt failure taking the variator and cover out with it.

+1

The 'Kevlar' tag is a sales gimmick - OEM belts have Kevlar in and as bigbird (and most of us) says, the OEM belts outlast after-market ones by many miles.
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 4:48 pm

dlt

Last edited by Buickguy on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Here is the link to the Silverwing Turbo Mod
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 6:09 pm

I respect all of your opinions and I will spend some more time researching. I do realize how well Honda performance is just from their stock equipment. From my previous Honda experience I had owned a 2002 Acura RSX Type S that came stock with 200 HP, equating to around 175 HP at the front wheels in stock form. With the addition of a cold air intake, race header eliminating the catalyst and a twin loop performance exhaust + ECU tune I was able to extract another 32 horsepower at the front wheels as seen on a dynojet dyno. Specific output of 100 HP per liter jumped to around 125 HP per liter and resulted in a full one and a half second drop in quarter mile times.

I just have to believe that there is even more power yet to be unlocked but the R&D lies with us as owners and tuners. I'm quite sure the demand will never be there for companies to dyno tune special tube style intakes or ram air induction systems for our Silverwings but I am the type of person that would do such experimenting if I was mechanically inclined in any way. I also plan on picking up a silverwing motor off of ebay to work on some sort of street legal ultra light CanAm spyder style of vehicle.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 7:12 pm

Well, on behalf of everyone here who enjoys performance, we look
forward to your reports on what you try...both successes and failures.

There are many pictorials of how to do maintenance on the Silverwing
on this site, but none of how to do performance upgrades.
Try to take pictures of how you do your upgrades and upload your
pictorials to this site so others can duplicate your work.

Good luck,

Dan
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Exhaust System 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:02 am

Welcome to the forum ThePPH. I have neither the desire nor ability(especially the ability) to do what you want to attempt. What you have in mind, I applaud and look foreward to your posts. cheers I've heard it said that a man can reach farther than he thinks, but no farther than he dreams. Continue to dream big.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 1:02 am

Welcome from me ThePPH.

I echo Dans comment, I look forward to hearing about your exploring the 'Wings' performance envelope.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 1:48 pm

I am happy to report that after installing the K&N last night I did a fair bit of experimentation with the side cover off. It's Arizona so getting a cool blast of oxygen rich air into the intake plenum is sort of impossible but I did notice more deep induction noise and a small change in the characteristics of the engine as it gets up to speed.

I am leaving the side cover off and spending some time calculating intake runner length best suited for the size and positioning of our motor.

http://www.velocity-of-sound.com/velocity_of_sound/calculator1.htm is a location where you can actually use Honda specs for our motor, specifically the cam duration to properly size or fit a velocity stack optimized for the Silverwing motor.

I'm going to test a couple of different setups on the dyno here at GOAZ.COM - recently bought by my former employer and owner of GoDaddy.com (Bob Parsons) I am going to use a slender velocity stack placed into the round intake tube coming from the stock air box with K&N filter in place.

I will also attempt to take all of the stock intake parts off and get down to the throttle body and see what room for improvement we might have with the use of a hand constructed throttle body space, larger bore throttle body and mandrel bent piping with specific diameter, velocity stack and conical K&N filter of proper size.

Luckily I do have some bikers, gear heads, fabricators for race parts within my town. I realize it might be overkill for the majority of the silverwing owners out there. However, if I can stumble upon something that really improves the riding experience for everyone then maybe I could find a way to duplicate a working product and get it our to folks that would like to get that little something extra from their cycle.

Preliminary investigation shows that any size engine can benefit from a velocity stack in line of the intake tract. Properly sized velocity stacks should yield an increase in HP & TQ of 4%. There is also a perfect opportunity to construct a ram air induction with very little effort which is known to bump up horsepower by one for every 10 miles per hour forward motion. Who doesn't need an extra 10 horsepower at 100mph Smile
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Maybe this whole topic should be moved from "General Chat" to "Silverwing Topics"?
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Sorry about that. I am never good about starting posts in the correct area. Please feel free to move.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 3:45 pm

Consider it done...more by luck than judgement I should say! Shocked
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 11:57 am

Sound like it would have been easier to just import a Gilera GP-800!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Exhaust System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust System   Exhaust System I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exhaust System
Page 1 of 1