Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding Lake Superior

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Riding Lake Superior Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding Lake Superior   Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 8:29 am

Chris

Which direction did you take to circle Lake Superior; how long did it take; where did you stay? Any tips for other folks contemplating doing a similar ride?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Riding Lake Superior   Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 9:48 am

We went clockwise around and stayed at Gooseberry Falls the first night, as well as visiting Split Rock Lighthouse. The second night we stayed at Nipigon. The third night at Sault Ste Marie Michigan and watched a couple frieghters go thru the locks. The fourth night we rode up to Copper Harbor. The fifth day we rode around the "loop" in Bayfield on 13 before coming home.

I've done the Circle Tour before on IBA rides in one day. But this time was MUCH more enjoyable. So my advice is that it is one of the most beautiful rides on earth with scenery that is not rivaled by anything. There is so much you can see, so take your time and if you have a week there's lots of things you can do and see. 5 days was a nice leisurely pace, gave us plenty of time to eat at nice restaurants we found, and plenty of time to see the sights and make a few extra "side trips" like Copper Harbor and the loop thru Bayfield.

It can also be cold at certain points of the ride. Lake Superior's surface temp is only 36 this year and if you are riding on the lee side of the lake be prepared for riding in temps in the high 40's to low 50's. Along with riding on the lee side is fog at night, so figure on being where you're going to be by about 6:30 in the afternoon. The weather is also quite variable so be prepared to get wet on at least part of the ride, and Lake Superior storms are not pleasant so the best is to duck in someplace and wait it out instead of being miserable.

The bottom line is that Lake Superior is the largest body of fresh water on earth and it is very cold. So the weather in the area greatly depends on which way the wind is coming from and whether or not it is blowing across 165 miles of open water. And even so, nights in the high 40's and low 50's are not uncommon on the North Shore in summer. You have to plan accordingly.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Riding Lake Superior   Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Chris:
I lived in Marquette for 6 years, so your loop around the Lake sounds like a great trip. I hope I can do it some day too. That is some of the most pristine country on earth.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

PostSubject: Re: Riding Lake Superior   Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 7:33 pm

The Canadian North Shore is undeveloped for the most part, wild and beautiful. And their roads are in good repair. There's 3 or 4 provincial parks there we would've loved to visit, but we saved those for the next time.

We only got wet near Ishpeming for 60 miles, and unfortunately it was a Nor'Wester right off the lake. There is only one word to describe that - COLD. It's all part of the experience.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Riding Lake Superior   Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 6:22 am

Did you take the time to visit Wemmet canyon ? don't know if the spelling is correct, just off 17 Superior hyw ,a nice rest stop.A short walk but worth it.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

PostSubject: Re: Riding Lake Superior   Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 am

Ouimet Canyon is one of the provincial parks along the way that is NE of TBay. But no, unfortunately we could not visit them all in only 5 days. We had set as two of our specific destinations Sault Ste. Marie to see the locks, and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore near Munising on the way to Copper Harbor.

Basically you could take a whole summer off and make the Circle Tour and still would not be able to see everything. The geology of the entire area is quite interesting, as the oldest exposed pre-cambrian rocks on earth exist along the North Shore, dating back something like 3.6 billion years. 550 million years ago, what is now North America ran along the equator, and the area had a tropical climate with part of it under water. In some places you can see the shells of the tiny marine life embedded in the rocks and limestone.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Riding Lake Superior   Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 pm

I haven't scooted but I did drive over the top of Superior from Waterloo ON right through to Manitoba on our Great Western RV Adventure a few years back. Great roads, stunning scenery and yup, it would be an amazing scooter trip. So many fabulous places to ride and see ... so few decades left! lol

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding Lake Superior   Riding Lake Superior I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding Lake Superior
Page 1 of 1