Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions

Go down 
+3
tvanloon
Cosmic_Jumper
LDB
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions Empty
PostSubject: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 10:08 am

I'm sure some of these will sound dumb to some people but this may be my first scooter rodeo so I want to learn as much ahead of time as possible.

When the engine is running is the SW in gear at all times?

Is there any way to select a "neutral"? I presume not or there'd be no need for the sidestand cutoff.

Is it possible to lock the brakes like a parking brake?

When the engine is off is the SW in gear like a regular motorcycle that's off and in 1st (or whichever) gear?

Is the storage area big enough for a ff helmet?

For someone who's hero was the tortoise not the hare, who sticks to the speed limit and gets passed by some of the cars from stoplights is 50mpg realistic?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 11:56 am

The SW is "in gear" any time the the RPMs are above ~2000. At that engine speed the clutch is engaged.

There is no neutral. However if the engine speed drops below 2000 RPM then the clutch disengages and you are effectively in neutral.

Yes, there is a Parking Brake

When the engine is OFF the SW is not "in gear".

There is storage room under the seat for a FF helmet

The SW is fully capabile of maintaining 85-90 MPH all day long --for days on end. That said, if you are in Houston and only traveling at a max of 50MPH, you are more than likely a hazard to the flow of traffic and risking your own life as well as the lives of others around you.

Tim
Back to top Go down
tvanloon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
tvanloon

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 12:12 pm

LDB,
The Swing drive system is like a snowmobile drive system in that it is belt driven with variable slip clutch drive pulley's.  When the machine is not running you can move the bike around as there is no transmission to change gears or put in neutral to move it.  There is also a Parking brake if you want to use it.  To ride, you turn the throttle and it revs up the engine which engages the variable clutch drive pulleys and off you go.  To slow down or stop you let up on the throttle and the engine will slow you down and hold back until around 15 MPH when the belt drive is released and allows the bike to be free wheeling (coasting) so you can brake to a stop...above 15 MPH the drive belt system stays engaged.  In a sense...it acts much like an automatic transmission in a car, in fact some vehicles have a drive system very similar to the Swing.

Also, the under seat storage area is quite large and will fit at least two full size helmets as well as goggle, gloves, extra oil, etc.  I highly recommend you go to a dealer and look at one, take a test drive and experience how simple it operates.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 3:29 pm

As cosmic jumper & tvanloon say above,plus remember when you go for a test ride that the left lever is not a clutch but a brake,it works both the front & rear brakes at once (60/40) the right hand lever is the normal front brake only as on all other motorcycles.
Not sure on 50mpg as UK gallons are different to US,mine averages about 46 mpg,but it is an old model which I'm told is thirstier than the newer ones.
Finally as we say over here,the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 3:36 pm

LDB wrote:

For someone who's hero was the tortoise not the hare, who sticks to the speed limit and gets passed by some of the cars from stoplights is 50mpg realistic?
  I would think 50 mpg is a very realistic average. Older models (pre 2008) usually get less. Cold weather (not a big problem in Houston) affects warm up time and lowers mileage in winter.  Really it's more about the fun factor as opposed to mpg.  Of course if you get stuck in a traffic jam, your mileage will drop along with the fun factor.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 4:23 pm

In response to The Bern: the difference between UK and US gallons is something we need reminding of from time to time.

I have a late-ish model Silverwing and got 68 MPG-Imperial last weekend on the Rideout riding gently although not slowly.
In US gallons it would have been different - fewer MPG.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Thank you for all the replies so far. It confirms things I thought I knew but wasn't positive about.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
The SW is fully capabile of maintaining 85-90 MPH all day long --for days on end. That said, if you are in Houston and only traveling at a max of 50MPH, you are more than likely a hazard to the flow of traffic and risking your own life as well as the lives of others around you.

Tim

Tim, he was asking about 50 MPG, not MPH.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 7:26 pm

LDB,
One other thing I didn't see anyone comment about is where the parking brake lever is. It's under the right side faring and you pull it back to set it and pull it back again to release it. Hopefully this photo will help show where it is. The first time I had a bit of a time finding it.

Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions Parkin10

I've been getting between 48 and 52 MPG with my SWing. It all depends on how I ride it. On the rides where I don't pass much, or wind it out much, or go much over the speed limit, I've been getting 52 MPG. However if/when I ride like I did when I was younger... I get around 48 MPG. Either way it gets great gas mileage. And NO I'm not riding like an ID10T but I am pushing it a bit on the open roads.

Also, for what it's worth, I love my SWing. It's fun to ride. Handles well. And has the get up and go that won't hold up traffic. I ride it as much as weather and these old bones permit.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. I imagine I'll be around the 50mpg range like you then. The photo is very clear. I don't know when/if I'd ever get as far as MN but if I do I hope you can show me where the good rides are.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 10:35 pm

DarthJ wrote:
Tim, he was asking about 50 MPG, not MPH.  

D'oh!.. Embarassed 

Sheesh, mp-H, mp-G... Hey we're talking one little letter here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions   Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basic (polite spelling of dumb) questions
Page 1 of 1