Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New guy bike shopping

Go down 
+5
"Hi Yo"
SteveO
JeffR_
dspevack
LDB
9 posters
AuthorMessage
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

New guy bike shopping Empty
PostSubject: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm debating what to do next for 2 wheels and the Silverwing is on the suspect list. I figured this would be the place to learn enough to make an intelligent decision (at least as far as any 2 wheel decision can go). I had a Heritage Softail Classic but it was way too heavy and a friend talked me out of it. I've got access to a 1977 R100/7 but it's been sitting for 25 years so it would need about $4k to get it back on the road.

I don't plan on any long trips. I might go as far as 300 miles to visit family but most likely no more than 100-150 miles total per any given trip winding up back at the house. My hero has always been the tortoise not the hare. I don't need drag strip starts and I don't need normal cruising speed faster than the speed limit. I'm more interested in comfort and reliability with decent fuel economy at a reasonable price.

The Silverwing seems the best compromise of all those things compared to a Burgman or Vespa or whatever else. Looking forward to lurking and learning here.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 3:50 pm

welcome 
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Welcome to the site. The SWing will take you in comfort and with a top case will have plenty of storage. When I just rode the speed limit on the interstate I would get 50 mpg and was very comfortable. The SWing is really bullet proof but if you get a stock bike there will be a couple of things you would need to do i.e. new windshield would be the first thing. Do you have a SWing in mind yet?
Back to top Go down
SteveO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SteveO

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-08-15

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Well LDB you are in the right place for a wide range of opinions. I have been a rider since 1960, mostly large road cycles. Started on a 1945 Harley 74 flathead. I did have a 1978 BMW R/100 a few years back (was a very dependable ride). My last cycle before the Silver Wing was a Nomad 1500, loaded out with full HD fairing, bags etc. It got to heavy for this old man. Was looking for what you say you are seeking. I found this site and a 2009 Swing with 30K miles, like new really!! It is not the same ride as a mid to large motorcycle. The ride and handling are some what different. My feet didn't know how to do nothing but hold up the scooter when stopped. I have gotten use to the scooter and it is just what I wanted (even if I didn't know it when I was searching). After about 9 months of ownership I know my decision was right for me. Gas mileage in the upper forties around town. Never feels heavy. Is a real pleasure to ride. I would recommend checking a dealer for a test ride. Then you'll understand how a scooter ride is different from a motorcycle. My friends tell me a Real Man rides a Harley (or at least a big motorcycle). I tell them a Real Old Man rides a scooter and still has fun.

You will at least find out that this is the BEST of all scooter sites. Good luck with you venture.

SteveO
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 5:14 pm

I don't have anything specific in mind yet. I've been looking at a number of bikes including a MG V7, Vespa 300, Burgman 400 and 650, BMW scooters and a few others not seriously at all. I've also considered the old R100 I have but that would be about $4k spent and I could probably get $3k for it as is so that's $7k give or take toward something new. Out of the various bikes mentioned above the SWing seems like the best value of them all. I'm also still debating new vs good used.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New guy bike shopping 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Welcome LDB, the Silver Wing should meet your needs.  100 to 150 miles is about one tank of fuel depending on the speed limit you are keeping up with (without getting run over).  Laughing  There is a lot of information here. Many people have come here looking for information. Using the search function (upper left) should answer most questions.     welcome     welcome

Last edited by "Hi Yo" on Mon May 19, 2014 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Other than a windshield what else does a stock bike need? Is a windshield always needed or is that just for certain height people?
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Hello LDB

The stock windhield is a bit scanty. I will eventually upgrade to a 4 inch total wider and 2 inch taller windshield. I'm thinking Clearview w vent but the final purchase is a ways off yet.

By the way welcome to the site.   small moped I found the site first then the scooter. I was looking and thinking maxi scooter and absolutely w ABS. The other option I might consider is a top trunk. I hear the trunk makes for more wind deflection so Ill have to think that one out too.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 8:18 pm

I have had the stock, Givi, Givi Airflow, and XL Clearview and I think the Givi Airflow is by far the best windshield. It makes the ride very smooth and the screen is also adjustable. It is great to put the screen all the way down in hot weather.

For top cases you can get the Bestem which is 49 liters and I had one for 7 years. It costs a little less than $100.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:20 am

Welcome to this site LDB!

You said, "I don't plan on any long trips. I might go as far as 300 miles to visit family but most likely no more than 100-150 miles total per any given trip winding up back at the house. My hero has always been the tortoise not the hare. I don't need drag strip starts and I don't need normal cruising speed faster than the speed limit."

While I'm no expert on the Wing, and have only had my 08 for a bit over a month, I've taken it out on half a dozen rides so far. My longest trip was a couple of days ago and ended up being 220 miles round trip. I am getting 52.8 mpg and it rode and handled great. While it may not be a dragster it will get up and go with the rest of them and will do freeway speeds without breathing too hard. The first time I took it on the highway I was up around 80-85 mph before I realized it.

Mine came with a GiVi trunk and Clearview windshield with only 18,xxx miles on it. I'll be 68 in July and have no problems riding it. My sister in FL, who I bought it from, says that if I put a trike kit on it I can will it back to her when I croak. She's three years older than I am. I told her I'd get right on that one. LOL

New guy bike shopping Mille_12
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:31 am

Another thing I've found is that listening to the engine while accelerating is quite a bit different than a "normal" bike that you shift. It seems like it gets up to around 4000-4500 rpm and sort of stays there as the speed increases. It just sounds different than shift-wind it out - shift-wind it out - shift-wind it out while listening to the rpms go up and down with each shift. I still find myself glancing at the speedometer just to make sure my speed is still increasing.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 9:03 am

LDB, you are doing the right thing: getting opinions from owner/riders. There is no other place but this forum for that kind of info. Ask away, someone on here will have the answer for you. To me it sounds like you want a ride that will be fun. The SWing has it to provide you with lots of fun. Pack your lunch and put it under the seat. Buy a few snacks, no problem: lots of storage. Put your compact fishing rod and your bait under there; or get a top box like many have. Possibilities are endless, as will be your fun.
And if you want to crank her up, watch the look on the face of the Harley rider you are passing !!!
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Last night I did pass an older 74 (80?) with 2 up. They made the sound but didn't make much forward progress. They were " surprise when I passed them in utter silence with no fanfare.
Maybe they thought I was ET. Swings are fun.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 4:57 pm

LDB wrote:
Other than a windshield what else does a stock bike need? Is a windshield always needed or is that just for certain height people?

I stayed with the stock screen as did my wife.  Neither of us saw any reason to change it out.  But, then I also rode a Yamaha XS-Eleven with no screen at all for quite a few years.  I considered cutting the SilverWing screen down to give me a summer screen.  I do think the screen issue is really a preference.  The wind does exact a toll on you though, it tires you quickly.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Well, I found a really good deal on a leftover 2012 Kawasaki Versys and bought it. Now I've learned my arthritis or whatever it is in my left fingers doesn't play well at all with the clutch lever so I'm back to looking at the SW or something with no clutch. The dealer I bought the V from has 2 leftover 2012 SW's also so I'm going to see what I could do with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy bike shopping   New guy bike shopping I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New guy bike shopping
Page 1 of 1