Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Is the Silverwing right for me?

Go down 
+8
Winger61
GHM-PM
"Hi Yo"
ericclapham
JeffR_
WingMan02
masscoot
mawmaw
12 posters
AuthorMessage
mawmaw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mawmaw

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-04-27

Is the Silverwing right for me? Empty
PostSubject: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi I really would be a new rider unless you count owning and regularly riding a Honda Metropolitan in 1986 In my intro post I said 85. And I am not really interested in the metropolitan but I am short and a regular sized female so i am wondering if I should Even consider the Silverwing or some other scooter from Honda and not really liking the metro or the rukus.
Give you an idea
Im 5 ft 2 inches
Im medium built maybe chunky lol!

Any advice greatly appreciated but I definitely want to stick with Honda!
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 10:40 pm

Welcome!

Only you will be able to answer your question. With a seat height of 29.1 inches and 500+ pounds the Silverwing may be more bike than you need. Some of the older Elite's and Helix may be more comfortable. Whatever you decide consider Motorcycle safe rider course. Good Luck
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 11:19 pm

You may want to test drive a Honda Forza. I believe that it is a 300cc and is powerful enough to do short trips. Lots of under seat storage. Looks similar to the Silverwing. Go seat on one and decide. Good luck in finding your ride.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 1:38 am

I would recommend the Honda Forza as well. I have read reports that they can get up to 90 so it would be more than enough to tour the interstates. And I hear they are very stable bikes. They use the same size tires as the SWing and ride very nice, according to reviews. Another bike is the Suzuki Burgman 400 since it has a lower seat than the SWing and is a bit lighter.

We have a couple of women that are about your height here and they either shaved the seat a bit or have boots with thicker soles. You could do both and probably would not have too much problem with it. But the SWing is a very powerful and heavy scooter so just be careful. Welcome to the site and please keep us informed on what you decide.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 3:06 am

I decided the Silverwing wasn't exactly right for me so I've just taken delivery of a 750 Integra with colour matched panniers and heated grips. Having chain drive doesn't bother me either as I've already fitted a German made combined chainguard and hugger.

As no one else on here has an Integra there's no point staying around.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 4:11 am

Brubaker, Hi, I am sure that any experience with the 750 Integra would be of interest to others- self included. Why don't you pass on what you find on the "Other Scooters" part of the forum.
Back to top Go down
mawmaw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mawmaw

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks! I will look into the forza and definitely going to the rider safety course.
I am definitely partial to Honda and appreciate the advice.
I will be getting boots with some height on the, as I planned on that.
thanks a lot!

edited to also ask..
Is cycle trader a good place to look for used bikes?
Any other advice will be helpful as well!
Mostly going to be cash purchase cause this is funny I found out recently that i didnt collect on a last pay from a job I had in 06! lol unclaimed funds will arrive by July! YAY!
and definitely going to keep yall updated and ask questions as I think abbot them. thanks so much again!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Is the Silverwing right for me? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 8:11 am

welcome   welcome  It sounds like you are doing things right to take the safety course and looking around for a scooter. You might look through the for sale section here to see what is available and also to see what others have sold. The search box in the upper left hand corner can also be used to look for ideas on buying a scoot. Good luck.  welcome   welcome 
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 8:21 am

I agree also with the Forza idea. Check it out and see if it is right for you. I use CycleTrader and Craig'sList when looking for new rides. Also, if you have a local Honda dealer, let them know what you are looking for and perhaps one will be traded in on a bigger bike or Silver Wing. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 4:06 pm

Brubaker wrote:

As no one else on here has an Integra there's no point staying around. 

Don't you dare leave! As an (exiled) fellow Yorkie, I reckon we need to keep a presence on this site, if only to keep a good northern eye on the rest!! Smile
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 4:43 pm

I'll chime in, a little bit late.
There are 2 members of our local maxi-scooter club who are females who drive Silverwings. One is a larger (both in stature and weight) woman,  the other about 50'ish, 5'3" and maybe 115 lbs in her riding gear. Both got their MC licences just before getting their Swings. They both have no problem manoeuvring their Swings at low speeds in the city. So don't let anyone scare you off from owning a Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Another bike you might consider is the Helix. It's got a very low seat height. It's no longer made, so you'll have to buy used if you go that route.
Back to top Go down
mawmaw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mawmaw

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 9:04 pm

bigbird wrote:
I'll chime in, a little bit late.
There are 2 members of our local maxi-scooter club who are females who drive Silverwings. One is a larger (both in stature and weight) woman,  the other about 50'ish, 5'3" and maybe 115 lbs in her riding gear. Both got their MC licences just before getting their Swings. They both have no problem manoeuvring their Swings at low speeds in the city. So don't let anyone scare you off from owning a Silverwing.

Thanks And I noticed that the new silverwing has a 29.7 inch seat whereas the older models are 29.1 and after doing some measuring on my leg height and all lol yes I went that far ha ha! I am thinking at least go out and try to see how comfortable I am with one and I will be wearing a boot with 1.25 heel so that's going to make a difference.
But I will keep my mind open to other Hondas.
Not thwarting any ideas just yet... Thanks again!

Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 9:57 pm

You would be able to handle the Swing but just be careful with the weight and power. After riding around parking lots for an hour or so you should have it down. Some think that since it is "just" a scooter that they aren't fast or powerful. But the SWing, Burgman650, BMW 650, and TMAX are quite powerful. Have you went to a dealer and sat on one yet? I wasn't trying to alarm you but just cautious I guess.
Back to top Go down
mawmaw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mawmaw

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 10:08 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
You would be able to handle the Swing but just be careful with the weight and power.  After riding around parking lots for an hour or so you should have it down.  Some think that since it is "just" a scooter that they aren't fast or powerful.  But the SWing, Burgman650, BMW 650, and TMAX are quite powerful.  Have you went to a dealer and sat on one yet?  I wasn't trying to alarm you but just cautious I guess.

Hey JeffR that is cool I appreciate all the input here! Only have seen others in the parking lots when I lived in San Diego for a while but didn't know the owners but did like the look and have seen them take off could see they were powerful!
I do want to be cautious not going to just jump not a good idea.
But watched a few videos of it on you tube as well and definitely all the riders say powerful and then watch them take off on it very powerful!
I really appreciate and ask for advice never offended. Like I said though not counting anything out yet!  
Firstly I will take the rider course and that will help me decide as well.
Back to top Go down
C'ville
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
C'ville

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 10:54 pm

I got my 2005 bike in June 2013, have really enjoyed it, it had 9700 miles on it and was in fair condition, I have put tires, drive belt, changed all fluids and it is it good condition now,
used bike would be my choice again, the rider course will be great, I feel that was the best thing I did before I hit the road.
Back to top Go down
4getful2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
4getful2

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 8:17 pm

There's alot to consider when you're thinking about going to a larger bike. Try to look farther ahead, like what are you wanting to do? Are you wanting to just bum around town and maybe a lil highway jaunt, or go for a longer interstate ride? Size matters , on that point.
Choose wisely grasshawpaw Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the Silverwing right for me?   Is the Silverwing right for me? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the Silverwing right for me?
Page 1 of 1