Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 4:55 pm

» I said Farewell...
Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Planning my first long trip

Go down 
+5
mr fish
matthew
MikeH
jdeereanton
Opalsboy
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Planning my first long trip Empty
PostSubject: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 pm

I'm excited about my first major trip. I'm heading off Wednesday the 22nd and heading to Charleston, WV for a good friend's mom's 90th birthday. Then I will head off Sunday north to around Altoona, PA and then up to east of Erie, PA to my dad's cottage on Lake Erie for about a week. That area is grape country and I'm excited to ride in the countryside while I am there. Then I will head back to Oxford. It's about 1200-1500 miles. I have only done one overnight to Brown County, IN two summer ago which was only about 100 miles each way.
I sure hope I pack the right stuff!!! I'm making lists and gathering things. I may have to UPS some clothes up to my dad's place...women just have to have lots of clothes!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 10:16 pm

I'm doing the trip by myself which I feel comfortable doing. My only concern is the highway from Charleston north to PA, I know the speed limit is 70 and they fly. I will be doing that on a Sunday which may be better. Honestly I have never been on the Interstate so this is a whole new experience!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 10:32 pm

Coralee... good luck on your trip... Sounds like a big adventure. Just take your time and stop often to rest if you need to. You will love it. Don't forget to take some pictures.

If the interstate is not real busy with trucks, it shouldn't be too bad. If it is familiar territory to you, it will be a piece of cake for you.

Again, be careful and try not to wander...
Gary
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 7:07 am

Coralee,

Enjoy yourself. Keep track of the stuff that you bring with and then do not use. Evaluate those item for exclusion on your next trip. It is surprising how easy it is to over pack with stuff that you think you'll need.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 9:08 am

Have a great trip. My wife and I can pack enough for both of us for a week, I'm sure you'll be able to manage Wink

The worst thing about interstates are the large trucks. They create a lot of very weird turbulence. Try and keep your distance from them.

Sounds like a lovely trip. Have a great time and do give us a report.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 12:20 pm

Coralee, have a great trip. Repeating Dale, you'll probably end up taking stuff you'll never use, and will choose to leave behind next time. I'm sure you have a good idea about what you'll need though.

I don't know if you're gonna be camping, but if you are, or even if you aren't, here's a link to a great checklist that might be useful to you in your planning: http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

I agree about the stopping to rest as often as you want to also. It can be tricky, thinking you're doing fine while you're really getting a bit worn. I tend to stop at least every couple of hours, whether I "need" it or not.

Ride safe, and do let us know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Have a great and safe trip
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 1:36 pm

Good suggestions~thanks. I think I am going to UPS a small box of clothes to my dad's so I just have to carry a few things. That list was good to look at. I thought about taking a small container of oil and maybe I will now. Tools??? LOL It wouldn't do me any good. But I do have that AAA card.
Good suggestion also to really see what you don't use. That will probably be an eye opener after I finish.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 3:54 pm

Hey Coralee!

Bon Voyage! For long trips perhaps the most important thing to take is a bottle of Water... It's easy to get de-hydrated... Don't forget to top it up, or replace it whenever you get the chance....

Have fun! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 7:38 pm

I do a lot of long distance riding and go to West Virginia about 4 times a year. Greatest roads in the east. But, be wary of the West Virginia driver. For some reason there are drivers there that will pull to the center of the road, slow down, like they are going to make a left turn, then turn right. Or, they will pull all the way over to the shoulder, slow down and then make a left turn. I think they must think they are driving a tractor-trailer or something. So maintain your distance when behind a driver there and don't assume they are going to make a turn based on what you see them do. If someone from West Viginia is on this site I would love to hear an explanation. I keep a plastic bag handy to cover my seat during the night. Also, hide a spare key somewhere on your bike, maybe duct taped under the fairing. Losing your key will really screw up your trip. A small role of duct tape will come in handy, it has a million uses. Put your medical info and emergency phone numbers on something and tape it inside your helmet. Just in case. Flashlight, kickstand plate. No matter how much you take you'll forget something, I always do. Be safe.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Coralee, Good Luck on the journey....Are you going down Rt 35 in Ohio to get to Charleston? If so its not a real busy road and has a couple of nice rest stops along the way. If you get off the main routes watch the WV mountain roads when it just starts to rain, especially the higher elevation real steep curvy switchbacks as the rain tends to bring the oil up out of the roads making them slick. Lots of coal and log trucks put a bit of oil down on the mountain roads. The roads in WV are just perfect for motorcycles and I think I could ride there a lifetime and still not hit them all or get bored of riding them. That is pretty much true for all the mountain range from Northern Alabama/Georgia all the way up into Maine. Have a Blessed and safe trip. Dick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 6:50 am

Well I'm still alive just haven't posted for a bit. I'm having a wonderful time. I've put about 1300 miles on the bike so far. I rode from Oxford to Charleston, WV on rt 73 and then took I-64 about a half hour. That was my first time on the Interstate and I was fine. Took about six hours since I wandered back roads a lot. I left Charleston on Sunday and took I-79 north to PA. I just loved the Interstate. Not much traffic and big winding curves with wonderful views. That Silverwing just cruised at 70 like a dream. I stayed in Latrobe, PA Sunday night, visited with a friend Monday morning and head up east of Erie,PA. I took back roads half the time and then hit I-80 for awhile. It was windy and lots of traffic so I enjoyed it when I got to turn off and head little back roads up to the lake.
I have taken day trips since I got to the cottage and have about another week to wander. I'm loving this!!!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 9:32 am

Sounds good!
Looking forward to the next report. Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Coralee,

Sounds like you're having a great time. Take pics if you get a chance and put them in your Album. I'm sure we would all like to see them. Also, when you get home, and find time, give us a review of how the SWing did. Have a great time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:18 pm

I've been taking day trips this week.
I went to Clymer, NY which has a lot of Amish. I had fun wandering back roads and waving to the kids. I saw young men taking hay in with a horse drawn wagon. I rode around Chautauqua Lake in western NY state. At one end of the lake is Bemis Point and they still have a working ferry to take you acorss the lake at that point. The other day I rode to Panama, NY and went to Panama Rocks which is a place you can hike. There are huge rocks and places you can walk that are like tunnels. Lots of fun!
Friday I head to Cleveland area and will ride just south of there on Saturday. Visit with a friend on Sunday and ride home on Monday. Hope the weather will be good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 6:51 pm

I'm taking off tomorrow to start my trip back. I'll ride to Cleveland and stay with an Aunt. If it doesn't rain I will ride with a friend and then Sunday visit with a sorority sister in Bay Village and head part way home. I'm hoping to get around Mt. Vernon, OH. Then finish up Monday and make it home. I have to babysit my two sweet grand daughters on Tuesday.
I'm amazed how much I got packed in that top case. That has worked out great to have that Givi case come off like a suitcase. Love it!
I hooked a cooler on behind me and I have lots of space in that and a great zipper area to keep my maps.
I tired the technique where you use a washable marker and put your route on the windshield....worked like a charm. Saved me from getting my maps out over and over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 6:07 pm

HOME!!! I put 2000 miles on the bike. What a great trip, I think I have caught the travel bug. I just loved wandering by myself. swing
I had joined a group called Motorcycle Travel Network and wow used it three times on this trip. You have to agree to host someone, if you can, and then you can stay at other's home for 15 a night for a single, and 20 for a couple...What a deal!! Every place I stayed the people were so nice and for me made me feel safe. Every place had a garage I could put my bike. As a women traveling alone I felt safe and at a motel I hate to have my bike outside. Plus with those prices I can travel all I want.
It's good to be home, grand children come in the morning!!!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 6:14 pm

Glad you had such a good trip and are safe home again.
I like the sound of the Motorcycle Travel Network - what a great idea!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 pm

Looking back I think I packed the right things. Not sure I would take anything different except maybe a little bottle of oil. I think I had everything I needed and that Givi case held lots of clothes rolled up. I was amazed how much I was able to carry.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Way to go Coralee, sounds like you had a great time. Looking at the mileage you are building up show's you are spending a lot of time enjoying the ride.
We were pretty close to Erie a couple of weeks ago around Cleveland, Conneate Lake, Linesville and Meadville, Pa area and once saw a sign that said 30 some miles to Erie. I agree the riding up there is pretty darn nice and the weather was perfect.
Take care and God Bless...Dick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 8:05 am

Carolee you are tops. To hear of someone our age especially a woman with your sense of adventure is inspireing. May you be blessed with many years and many miles. Chief Rider
P.S. The reason I picked Chief Rider is because I am a chief engineer on a river boat. I love my job and I love to ride so the two went together.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 9:12 pm

Thanks Chief Rider Smile My dad always said "do something you love and then it's not work" How exciting to work on a river boat! I bet looking out at the views is really nice. That's what I like about riding is just enjoying nature.
I rode to Brown County, IN today about 200 miles round trip. I got lost after a road closure and met a nice couple in a small town. I asked directions and they said they had a bike. The gal said, "don't you worry about traveling by yourself???? I hope you have some kind of protection". I was going to say "The angels are watching over me" but I did tell her I carry pepper spray in my jacket pocket. I just have never felt unsafe when I have ridden.
And Dickie...that area of PA is very nice. My parents went to school in Meadville. Great hills and valleys. Just north of there is wine country and miles of grape vineyards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning my first long trip   Planning my first long trip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Planning my first long trip
Page 1 of 1