Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 2:31 pm

» New to Me Swing
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 2:47 am

» I said Farewell...
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 7:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 9:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?

Go down 
+9
Sknrdtec
Terry Smith
Meldrew
Loosemarbles
john grinsel
zrx212
GHM-PM
Erdoc48
BrianInVA
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-18

Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? Empty
PostSubject: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 2:04 am

Hi folks,
I tried to plan a camping trip from my home in northwest Virginia down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway then back on my 2006 Silverwing last fall, but for many reasons it never happened.

I again hoped to do so this fall but it looked like it wasn’t going to happen this year either.

However, I just got an invitation to visit a friend at his home in Orlando FL next month and accepted.

Then it occurred to me - I can combine the camping trip down Skyline and the Parkway with the trip to Orlando, then back up the Interstate.

In 2019 I drove by myself from Maine to Southern California and back over a ten week period in a GMC Safari van, camping the whole way out and back over 12,500 miles. So I’m no stranger to road trips.

But I’ve never undertaken a bike ride like this.

Any “words to the wise”? Or reasons to reconsider?

My 2006 Silverwing has 9,000 miles on it, only 500 miles on the new tires, battery is a year and an half old, and all fluids were replaced and front forks rebuilt when the tires were mounted last year. The only routine maintenance that was not done is spark plugs.

Last edited by BrianInVA on Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 4:01 am

Some may say since the belt is now 17 years old to swap it before you go and the spark plugs. I assume you know already but both of these are easy jobs, just a little pricey for the belt (like $120). Other than that, likely not much else is needed. I consider the SWing like any other bike, and that means it’s totally up to the job.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 4:11 am

Erdoc48 wrote:
Some may say since the belt is now 17 years old to swap it before you go and the spark plugs. I assume you know already but both of these are easy jobs, just a little pricey for the belt (like $120). Other than that, likely not much else is needed. I consider the SWing like any other bike, and that means it’s  totally up to the job.
I did the belt (GBoost) and 26gm Dr. Pulleys when I had all the other work done last year. The only two things that were not done was spark plugs and bleed the brakes. I’ll do the spark plugs and bleed the lines before I go.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 11:45 am

I have done several 1000-2000 mile trips on my Silver Wing and it performed flawlessly. My only caveat is the camping part... I stayed in motels so as not to try and carry all the gear with me. If you can carry all that plus clothes and a few tools etc. so be it. Try and limit travel to 200-300 miles per day, I find that is a sweet spot except on rare times.

You will be traveling through some beautiful places so avoid freeways whenever possible. Much more enjoyable on 2 wheels!

Lastly, take lots of pictures and share some with us? Have fun.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 1:31 pm

If you have the old belt, take with you, not that they have a high failure rate, but murphy is always around, changing the belt is fairly easy, finding a CVT belt same day at dealer, etc., is not. If you need a contact for road assistance, etc., while in Florida, LMK in a PM, I have many cvt, parts, know how, etc. I'm in central Florida, 1hr from Orlando. Try to stay off Turnpike or Interstates as much as possible in Florida, is just crazy fast dangerous, there's some nice secondary highways, etc.

Have a great trip.  Cool ,

BTW, lived in NW North Carolina for 23yrs, traveled on lots of excellent roads in VA, WV, etc.
really miss that  Crying or Very sad

Here's where I carry my emergency belt.

Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? Spareb10
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 1:45 pm

First 2400 miletrip---not long---old bike?  Change drive belt, carry old as spare.  Walking sucks  and dealers would never have belt in stock.   just leave plugs alone, same on bleeding brakes--- my 2 new SilverWings, I pulled plugs, gaped, put Never Seize on threads-----when I traded the bikes at 50,000 miles or so, each, OEM plugs were still working fine!   Make sure you have professional quality tire repair stuff---hand pump best....as it will not run your bike battery down in the middle of no where!!!   Small jumper cables----as no kick start.
Enjoy----professional quality riding clothes----warm and dry nice,   Battery nearing 2 years old, just replace.  Batteries plus cheap ones work just fine for bikes ridden every day.....and no electronic junk added.

Feet and hands----Aerostich has nice overmitts (warm and dry)  rubber boots, nice, too.
Supply of ear plugs too.

Have fun----tools or cell phone for trouble!  Reg Gas
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 6:28 pm

Don't ask me why but I usually carry the socket for the drive pulley, and the drive-pulley holder. I figured it's not the type of thing a rescue van would carry so you can get on your way from the roadside.

Carrying the spare belt and tyre repair are a given. Enjoy the trip, sounds like a perfect job for the SW.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 8:02 pm

I agree swapping the battery may be cheap insurance. Also, you can consider taking a lithium battery jumper, just in case- on all my bikes when I ride, I have a case on the back seat with tire repair tools as well as an air pump that runs off an SAE plug from the battery (and my GPS is in there as well), and keep the battery jumper in the trunk of the bike.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 9:54 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
I agree swapping the battery may be cheap insurance. Also, you can consider taking a lithium battery jumper, just in case- on all my bikes when I ride, I have a case on the back seat with tire repair tools as well as an air pump that runs off an SAE plug from the battery (and my GPS is in there as well), and keep the battery jumper in the trunk of the bike.
I do have one of those lithium battery jump starters, the biggest capacity model (for large diesels). I definitely plan on taking that. I also have a Rigid 18v tire pump so I’ll pack that with a spare 18v battery too. 
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? 3479ed10
I need to dig out my tire repair kit but I do have one somewhere. I’ll hook up a 12v cigarette lighter outlet to the battery under the seat to charge the lithium battery while I’m riding. I’ll use the lithium battery to charge my iPhone because I use the Waze app on it to navigate.

Last edited by BrianInVA on Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 9:56 pm

And I found a pair of Sedici waterproof soft saddle bags cheap on Marketplace recently. They’re not large but they’ll keep important stuff dry.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2023 7:47 am

Any wisdom? Like the Nike adverts say, JUST DO IT.

Then you can choose to waffle on as much as you like about it afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2023 12:42 am

Any wisdom?

When you hit the 1200 mile mark, turn around...
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 3:05 am

I’ll be hitting the road November 13 and plan to average about 200 miles a day, give or take, so I’ll cover all of Skyline Drive that first day and start the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP).

Has anyone heard anything about the following campgrounds?

I found a campground that will still be open,
Glen Maury Park campground, near Mile Post 45.6 in Buena Vista, VA. It’s first come first serve, but I called and they said don’t worry, it’s off season and they won’t be full.

Next night I have reservations near Mile Post 248 at New River State Park campground, Laurel Springs  NC, and the third night reservation is  near Mile Post 393 at Lake Powhatan Recreation Area & Campground, Asheville, NC.

Then I’ll ride down from Cherokee NC at the southern end of the BRP towards Macon Georgia and “camp” overnight at Cracker Barrels or big box stores as needed till I get to Orlando, probably at Commerce and Tifton GA.

I haven’t yet planned out the return trip but I think it’s too late in the season to risk coming back up the BRP/ Skyline Drive.

Regardless I’m staying clear of Interstate 95.
Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 2:52 pm

You mentioned , "camp" overnight at Cracker Barrels or big box stores" . How do you "camp" at Cracker Barrel ? Be safe , warm and dry , and have fun !
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 6:24 pm

Sknrdtec wrote:
You mentioned , "camp" overnight at Cracker Barrels or big box stores" . How do you "camp" at Cracker Barrel ?  Be safe , warm and dry , and have fun !  
Cracker Barrel lets RVers park overnight in their rear parking lot. I stopped overnight at quite a few when I drove my GMC Safari from Maine to California and back in 2019. 

As well as Walmarts, Lowe’s, Home Depot’s, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, truck stops, rest stops (along Interstate 40 in Arkansas and Texas), etc. 

I just went out at 8:30 this morning to get my Honda Silverwing 600 inspected, but also to see how I would tolerate riding in cooler weather. It was 40 degrees when I started and after getting it inspected I did some interstate riding for an hour to see if I could tolerate those temps at highway speed. 

I found a couple things I need to work out - I need neck protection, better gloves, and a wind breaker over top of my hi viz armored touring jacket. I did put the insulated liner in it last night but that combination still wasn’t enough to block all the cold wind at highway speeds. I had Kevlar DragginJeans long john’s under polar fleece lined work pants so my legs were fine. 

And then I saw this headline:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/local/2023/10/16/blue-ridge-parkway-closed-snow-and-ice-north-of-asheville/71210329007/

Update: Blue Ridge Parkway reopened north of Asheville after brief snowy, icy conditions

October 16, 2023

ASHEVILLE - Leaf seekers likely weren't expecting mountain views awash in white on the Blue Ridge Parkway this week, but that's what nature offered heading into peak fall foliage season.

Enough October snow blew across the higher elevations of the parkway around Asheville and temperatures dropped low enough to close the scenic roadway starting at 4:30 p.m. Oct. 16, according to National Park Service social media posts.

The parkway was closed from Milepost 344 at N.C. 80, which is about 9 miles north of Mount Mitchell, to Milepost 375 at Ox Creek Road, just north of the Folk Art Center in Asheville. It reopened at around noon on Oct. 17.

The road remained closed "until park staff confirm the road is safe for travel. Road status information will be updated on the park website when available," read the parkway's Facebook post. "Freezing temperatures at high elevations can make travel treacherous, especially in wet, dark park tunnels."

Gulp!

I knew winter could come early but I hadn’t realized they’ve already closed the Parkway this fall due to snow and ice, a full month before I’ll be passing through there!!
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 6:31 pm

I’ve known my biggest problem all along would be over packing. Now I have more to worry about weather wise so my tendency is to pack in anticipation of it.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 8:40 pm

Personally, a spare pair of 'dry' gloves and rain suit is more worthy of space which would be taken up by a spare pair of underpants, which you probably won't use. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 9:59 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:

Personally, a spare pair of 'dry' gloves and rain suit is more worthy of space which would be taken up by a spare pair of underpants, which you probably won't use. thumbs up
I do have a pair of waterproof Aerostich over gloves. I’ve ridden in the rain before with them over my regular gloves and they’re effective. I’ll take my regular gloves, the Amazon cheap colder weather gloves I just ordered and these over gloves and hope to have everything covered in that department. 
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? 18c81910
Problem is I’m riding from colder weather up here in Virginia to pretty warm weather in Orlando so I need to prepare for both.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2023 12:23 am

I also have a pair of Columbia Rebel Roamer Rain Pants. They’re a lot softer, lighter and more comfortable and pack smaller than motorcycle rain pants and I have read good reviews where they were used as motorcycle rain pants. 

I’m thinking of getting one of those construction hi viz work raincoats for over my ballistic riding jacket.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2023 7:18 am

If you're asking all these questions about cold weather and waterproof gear, it comes across that you aren't really prepared or knowledgeable at all about riding and taking long journeys in the winter months.

In contrast, I've already swapped my open face helmet for a peaked helmet to deal with low winter sun, and later I'll be wearing the heavier riding gear I keep for the winter months. Some of it is the base and intermediate layers I also wear with normal winter clothes.

I'm not planning any long winter rides, that lost it's appeal years ago and there's really not that much you can do on short winter days. It's just  making sure I'm protected, warm, and comfortable when I'm out riding during the next few months.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2023 3:08 pm

You can consider a battery heated vest and gloves that are sold on Amazon as well- there’s gear from Tourmaster or Gerbing that plugs into the bike as well (but I’m not sure of the current output from the SWing supporting heated gear) but you have to wire a plug to the battery in that case- battery powered vest and gloves generally give you 5 hrs or so of riding time before needing a recharge, depending on the setting (low-med-high)- might be worth a look if you’re on the BRP and near Asheville in November as it’s likely to be cooler then. I have plugs for the heated gear on the STs but on the scooter, I use the battery heated gear as it’s easier.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2023 3:59 pm

Meldrew wrote:
If you're asking all these questions about cold weather and waterproof gear, it comes across that you aren't really prepared or knowledgeable at all about riding and taking long journeys in the winter months.
Honestly I’m just seeing if someone points out something obvious I’m missing or forgetting. “Analysis paralysis.”

In the mid 1990s, I was literally putting more miles on my snowmobile each winter than my street bike the rest of the year. We had a route we took often that was over a hundred and fifty miles but I never did a multi day ride. Snowmobiling teaches the basics of riding in the bitter cold.

Last edited by BrianInVA on Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2023 4:01 pm

I took the Silverwing into a local independent shop this morning to have the brakes professionally bled. I just didn’t trust myself to do it well.

I had noticed a bit of stiffness and creep in the rear brake lever this summer, so I was concerned about it and wanted it looked at by a shop before I head to Florida.

They bled the lines and inspected the rear brake assembly/ caliper, test drove it and said the rear brake was in fine shape.

I also had them replace the spark plugs while it was in there and they did a thorough safety check since I told them I’m headed to Florida on it.

The only thing they noticed was that there was some fluid on both rear shocks and they might need replaced in the future, but it shouldn’t affect the upcoming trip. They didn’t see any evidence of fluid anywhere else.

Riding it home, the rear brake felt great, no more stiffness or creep.

It was 37 degrees and windy but I was comfortable, no problem riding in the cold.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2023 10:59 pm

It’s certainly too early to tell, but forecasts for at least part of BRP look good so far:
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? C8168610
Back to top Go down
Bigfoot52
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2023 10:10 pm

Be careful of wet leaves. They are very slippery. I know firsthand. Also stop frequently to warm up when cold. Good luck. I live in ne Tennessee.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 3:17 am

Bigfoot52 wrote:
Be careful of wet leaves. They are very slippery. I know firsthand.  Also stop frequently to warm up when cold. Good luck. I live in ne Tennessee.
Thanks!

Are you near the southern end of the BRP? What’s your weather forecast look like for November 15/16?

I think my trip down is going to be fairly mild. My friends here in northwest Virginia were laughing tonight, saying they expect a call around December 1st saying , “Hey, what are you doing right now? I’m stuck in a snowstorm on Route 81 and need you to come get me!”
Back to top Go down
Bigfoot52
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 12:49 pm

Looks like high 50 to low 60s. However it will be 8- 10 degrees coler on the parkway. I am about 100 miles fron Cherokee NC. Be careful of deer especially on the Shenandoah parkway.
Back to top Go down
COMick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 3:11 pm

Brian said:

I found a couple things I need to work out - I need neck protection, better gloves, and a wind breaker over top of my hi viz armored touring jacket. I did put the insulated liner in it last night but that combination still wasn’t enough to block all the cold wind at highway speeds. I had Kevlar DragginJeans long john’s under polar fleece lined work pants so my legs were fine. 

So did you work out the neck protection yet? I've used a balaclava ever since I was riding in Oregon. It's not the cold there, it's the damp cold that gets you. Even a simple, thin balaclava that I picked up at an indoor go-kart racing place worked well and it fits snugly into my helmet. For really cold days, I go for one with a bit more thickness around the neck.

But now that I'm in northern Colorado, I leave the really, really cold riding to the younger guys. I figured that's why I have a car!

It looks like you're getting really well prepared. Have a safe trip.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 3:37 pm

COMick wrote:

So did you work out the neck protection yet? I've used a balaclava ever since I was riding in Oregon. It's not the cold there, it's the damp cold that gets you. Even a simple, thin balaclava that I picked up at an indoor go-kart racing place worked well and it fits snugly into my helmet. For really cold days, I go for one with a bit more thickness around the neck.
Yes, I ordered a nice medium weight balaclava as well as warmer motorcycle gloves and a Frogg Toggs motorcycle rain jacket for over my ballistic jacket. I think I’m all set as far as weather protection goes.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 3:42 pm

Bigfoot52 wrote:
Looks like high 50 to low 60s. However it will be 8- 10 degrees coler on the parkway. I am about 100 miles fron Cherokee NC. Be careful of deer especially on the Shenandoah parkway.
Perfect, thanks.

Even high 40s to low 50s is better than the 37 to 44 degrees in was riding in this week. And now that I have the rest of the proper gear I should be good to go.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 8:50 pm

Have you ever used heated vest or jacket? Makes a huge difference in keeping Core body and arms warm on longer cold rides. The heat feels so nice just be sure to buy a Temp. controller to adjust the heat.

Gerbings is one of the best brands and still have vests 15 years old that work great.

Charging system can handle the extra 55 watts on High it's about the same as a headlight bulb.

Have a great ride and hope the weather is not so cold.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 11:48 pm

For neck protection (assuming from the cold temps), how about a simple scarf that’s tucked into the front of your jacket (nothing too long that can make its way to the back wheel- I recall reading about people strangulated in the past by a scarf that caught caught in wheels etc. behind them, but I assume it would have to be really long). The balaclava might be nice but I never wore one as I get warm quickly with too many layers on and especially on the face and head.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 04, 2023 3:31 am

Erdoc48 wrote:
For neck protection (assuming from the cold temps), how about a simple scarf that’s tucked into the front of your jacket …

…The balaclava might be nice but I never wore one as I get warm quickly with too many layers on and especially on the face and head.
I got used to wearing heavy balaclavas under helmets back in my snowmobiling days. We had to wear them. A scarf wasn’t adequate.

The medium weight one I ordered from Amazon came this week. What an improvement in fit and feel over the ones we wore 30 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 04, 2023 3:25 pm

Balaclavas or under helmets or whatever you like to call them can be ideal in cold weather. Or a pain in the arse on long rides because the seam stitching round the face opening can cause pressure spots round the forehead and brows in exactly the same way the seam stitching on the lining of a badly fitting helmet does.

Over the years I've tried Merino wool, silk, cotton, and stretchy polyester ones in different thicknesses and the stitching is always the problem, especially if your helmet lining also has stitching round the forehead. The balaclava makes your head marginally larger.

I have both a rain jacket and a winter textile jacket with zip away hoods in the collars, they're both designed to seal the back and front of the neck to stop rain creeping in, and the top of the hood starts at the hairline to prevent this extra layer of material causing pressure pain and hot spots.
My hi no

My go to item for neck warmth and occasional head covering are the multifunctional and seamless  Buff neck tube.

Helmet linings with seams and stitching aren't a problem with the current range of Schuberth helmets as they're welded not stitched.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2023 9:16 pm

I’m pulling out Monday morning:Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? 2a4d9810
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? 10263710
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 11, 2023 11:52 pm

I'm pulling into Miami tomorrow after crossing the Atlantic on the Virgin Voyages Valiant Lady, we left Barcelona a fortnight ago. That's 4972 miles port to port, but we called in at Ibiza, Malaga, and Funchal on the way so that's more added miles.

Anyone can rough it, I prefer not to, have fun. 😐
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 3:46 am

I hit my first deer in my life on the Blue Ridge Parkway tonight..

I’m on my second day of riding from Virginia to Orlando FL and back.

There were deer everywhere so I was being exceptionally careful and diligent.

I came around a curve and a juvenile deer shot out across the road at full speed, it’s head down low.

It’s head hit my left ankle and my left plastic afo leg brace.

Then it hit my waterproof left soft Sedici saddlebag and tore it off the bike completely.

I slowed down, turned around, and found the saddlebag in the middle of the road. It broke off the plastic buckle that holds it to the nylon strap that connects it to the right saddlebag. The straps were tight under the seat so the right saddlebag didn’t move.

I had my alcohol sailboat stove / heater in the left saddlebag and a gallon of denatured alcohol.

It blew the screw on cap off the alcohol bottle and filled the waterproof saddlebag with alcohol. And it bent the alcohol stove from round into an oval. I’ll try to straighten it out tomorrow.

Here’s a photo of the “damage”:

Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? B4bdf010

One tuft of deer hair in the left passenger foot rest!
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 10:25 am

Hi Brian.
Sounds to me like you got off light with your encounter, could have been so much worse.
At least your ok and didn't join your bag in the middle of the road.
So glad we don't have too many large animals roaming over here.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 2:19 pm

Sorry to hear- yes, those forest rats are all over here in the US - I keep a close eye out for them when riding as well, but in general, they’re not very smart, so they just run out into the roadway even if a car or bike is waiting for them.

On the upside, you didn’t come off the bike, so there is that…you can continue your journey, just making some adjustments in the luggage (and your stove).
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 8:21 pm

" I hit my first deer in my life on the Blue Ridge Parkway tonight.. "

I have done lot's of motorcycle rallies and camping in those mountains, we never rode at night for that reason, this time of year deer are very active, most are dumber than a fence post, always watch out for the second deer(s), 1st one is the decoy Rolling Eyes , personally seen lots of cars and motorcycles get impatient, go around the 1st deer and wreck into second one Crying or Very sad I know days are short but limit night travel, especially in lonely/desolate stretches.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 2:26 am

Got into Asheville NC an hour and a half after dark again tonight but the local traffic on the Blue Ridge Parkway was quite heavy so no deer at all. Locals must use parts of it here as a shortcut is all I can figure.

I’m getting compliments on my trailer a lot here in North Carolina.

Tonight I stopped for gas and while I was filling up, an attendant was emptying the trash cans between the pumps. He looked at my trailer and asked about it. I told him it was a hard shell roof top tent mounted to a small motorcycle trailer as a diy motorcycle camper.

He was excited to see it because his buddy needs something similar. He was vehement that I should patent it lol!
I’m “camping” at the Comfort inn in Asheville NC tonight.

I followed my Waze app directions to the campground I had reservations for tonight and it took me out in the middle of nowhere, no state park or campground to be seen.

I was already riding in the dark for an hour and a half and too tired and cold to try to find the park so I put “hotel” in my Waze app search bar and went to the first one listed.

Hot shower, warm comfy bed, free breakfast tomorrow morning. Yay!Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? 0ff35310
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? 8be73a10
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? 74650910
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 2:40 am

The important thing is you are okay. Join the club of riders who hit a deer and didn't crash it's a scary thing and leaves you with some new knowledge.

I hit one many years ago and almost crashed trying to avoid it thank someone no traffic in other lane used all the road and still almost ended up in ditch. Sore right knee minor plastic damage and knocked the top case off. Riding an FJR a little larger bike about 100LB heaver and still took a good hit.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2023 11:38 pm

I made it to Athens Georgia this evening, 750 miles towing my little trailer under my belt.

A fellow member of the Adventure Ryders motorcycle forum invited me to stay overnight last night in his spare bedroom in Blairsville Georgia.

From there I went to visit an old friend near Cleveland Georgia. To get to his place I had to ride up, over and down the famous Blood Mountain on Route 19. Wow, what a ride.

My friend snapped a photo as I pulled out:
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? Img_8110
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2023 12:23 am

Hi Brian, your Silverwing grin says it all for me. Smile

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2023 12:30 am

JohnyC wrote:
Hi Brian, your Silverwing grin says it all for me. Smile

Be safe, be seen!
I’m really grinning now I’m out of the mountains. 

It was nice to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and Blood Mountain but its slow and a bit of work when pulling a trailer. I have to be constantly attentive riding in general but when pulling a trailer that’s multiplied!

I’m really liking riding 441 South while avoiding the interstates. I can ride all day at 65mph and my mpg has improved from 35-37 in the mountains to around 40 on 441. Not bad for the load the Silverwing is carrying and pulling a trailer behind it.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2023 2:24 pm

How was it in the mountains pulling a trailer (power/ acceleration wise)? It’s a 600 so I was wondering if a lot of power loss due to altitude and the weight being pulled, plus luggage on the bike.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 18, 2023 5:57 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
How was it in the mountains pulling a trailer (power/ acceleration wise)? It’s a 600 so I was wondering if a lot of power loss due to altitude and the weight being pulled, plus luggage on the bike.
Honest general observations: Its making the Silverwing work hard, especially on the hills. On long downhill curves I have to take it fairly slow because the trailer is pushing the bike. And it tends to make the steering wobble a bit in downhill curves in general if I’m not careful with keeping a firm grip on the handlebars, or if the contents of the roof top trailer have slid towards the front in stop and go traffic, increasing tongue weight. Then I have to stop and redistribute the weight to the rear. Once that’s down it tows great, no wobbles.

But on flatter straight roads I hardly notice its back there, and I’m running 65 to 70mph without effort.

I’m getting 34 to 37mpg. Not bad at all considering the load I have on the bike itself and that I’m pulling this trailer. I figured I’d lose 10 to 20mpg towing it.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2023 2:21 am

I made it to Lake City Florida this evening, so 1000 miles under my belt, 1400 to go.

There’s a website called Bunks for Bikers where motorcycle enthusiasts offer free use of their spare bedroom to put up other traveling / touring motorcyclists and I’m staying with one such host tonight outside Lake City. (I’m sure some here are well aware of this but I just found out about it this week.)

A real kind generous retired heavy equipment mechanic and fellow motorcycle enthusiast is my host.

First thing he did was give me a quick tour, hand me a towel for a hot shower, and offer me a warm delicious bowl of homemade chicken pot pie and a soda.

The motorcyclist community I’ve been exposed to via this trip is simply incredible.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2023 8:24 pm

At 12:30 I pulled into my primary destination, my friend’s home in Orlando Fl.

It’s been a week long 1,200 mile journey on my 2006 Silverwing.

What a trip!!

I’ll be here through Friday morning. Then I’m heading down to Ave Maria College in the Everglades to visit a good friend. He just got his first bike, a Honda CB500X, so we’ll spend the day riding.

And I’m starting the long ride back north to Virginia on Saturday.Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? Img_2310
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2023 12:04 am

I just passed through the Everglades where I stopped at a local restaurant for lunch, and this was the scene before me:
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? Img_8212
Then as long as I’m in Florida I thought it would only be right to visit the ocean so my buddy I met up with at Ave Maria in the Everglades took me out to Everglades City where I stopped to catch a view the Gulf.
Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? Img_8210
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?   Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Planning a 2,400 mile round trip. Any wisdom?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next