Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby gustav Yesterday at 11:58 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 1:46 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 10:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 8:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 7:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 11:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 8:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:08 am

» LF extended back rest
Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:14 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle

Go down 
+17
jdeereanton
hotwings
MikeO
Jinglebob
model28a
DanB
"Hi Yo"
woodworker
KurtPerthWA
bikerboy
PHXScooterBill
masscoot
trouble1100
mike712
Meldrew
Old Limey
Dimond
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle   Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 5:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know that this has been discussed before on this forum - but with technology improvements many of the prior noted differences between a MC and a Scoot seem to be disappearing - except for one.

The defining difference - IMHO - is that there is nothing between your legs on a Scoot while there is a lot between your legs on a MC.  The Scoot is like sitting on a 'barstool' while the MC is like sitting on a 'horse'. Having something between your legs helps to get your through corners a bit better and the entire bike seems to be more rigid and stable which is important when turning/cornering - IMHO.  

BTW - I love my SWing and am not giving it up for no-stinken-motorcycle!

Last edited by Dimond on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle   Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 11:12 am

Coming very late to this wee debate gents but here's my tuppence worth anyway.

I rode a variety of motorcycles since the early 80's, the last few being wonderful, characterful old airhead Beemers retired from police service. Cheap, very cheerful and very, very reliable.

Then came a time I read about Burgman's and became interested. While later rode an early Burgman and was disappointed but still liked the 'super scooter' idea and decided to find one to suit as I was also hankering for a new type of motorcycling adventure, plus SWMBO no longer liked swinging her lady legs over the old Beemer!

Bought a 2003 Swing cheap. Thought mmm THIS is VERY different and loved it from the get go. Now have a 2010 model. been on plenty of runs with others on traditional motorcycles and taken plenty of slagging but when they see what the Swing can do, the respect is immediate and genuine.

getting used to the small wheels was the hardest bit. I fairly quickly got used to no clutch lever and both brakes up front, even though my left foot twitched for a while seeking a gear lever! I love the feet forward position, I ride it like its a motorcycle, don't think of it as a scooter and it's about the best motorcycle I've owned so far. And SWMBO is very pleased with the new sitting arrangements!

I love the look of the Swing except from one angle when I can't see the wheels. The step through design is very useful though I still find myself swinging the leg over. When I put my neat little tank bag in the step through it looks very traditional motorcycle like.

So what's the difference? I think the earlier engineering definition is valid but surely a big part of whatever difference there is beyond that is in our minds. So what if it is technically defined as a scooter (which I don't believe it actually is) if we enjoy riding them and it suits our two-wheeled needs. No need to feel inferior and any other motorcyclist who views it as inferior can be given a demonstration of the wrongness of their thinking!

Happy riding chaps and chaplettes!
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html

Defining Difference between a Scooter and a Motorcycle
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2