Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Seat modification I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Seat modification I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Seat modification I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Seat modification I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Seat modification I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Seat modification I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Seat modification I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Seat modification I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Seat modification I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Seat modification I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat modification

Go down 
+6
soc714
Colin B
GHM-PM
model28a
"Hi Yo"
pt
10 posters
AuthorMessage
pt
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-05-26

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: Seat modification   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Hello everyone, I'm a new silver wing owner. Always had Gold wings and such in the past. I need more seat room have you all got any ideas. I'm 6' tall. When I remove the driver's back rest the room it gives me is just right but that area is hard and uncomfortable.Thanks I'm just feeling my way around this site and so far it's help me a ton. Thanks
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Seat modification 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat modification   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 3:39 pm

welcome and howdy from Texas. While you're "feeling" your way around the site, you might want to go to the search function ( upper left) and put in butt rest. There have been a number of discussions of modifying or removing it. One of them may work for you. As far as more comfort, some people have used the Airhawk seat pad; with or without a sheepskin cover.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat modification   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 6:01 pm

pt, welcome cheers welcome
Back to top Go down
pt
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2013-05-26

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: thanks I'll do it.   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 12:07 pm

"Hi Yo" wrote:
welcome and howdy from Texas. While you're "feeling" your way around the site, you might want to go to the search function ( upper left) and put in butt rest. There have been a number of discussions of modifying or removing it. One of them may work for you. As far as more comfort, some people have used the Airhawk seat pad; with or without a sheepskin cover.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat modification   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 8:36 am

Welcome pt. Hi Yo is correct; avail yourself of the search. Tons of materials available on butt-rest to back-rest conversions. Or order a custom seat from Sargent or some other vendor. Expect to pay dearly for the last option though...
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat modification   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 8:49 am

A simple solution just flashed through my brain. Yes, I have one; I've seen it in an MRI scan - it looked like a cabbage, which explains a lot!

Anyway...

If you don't want to convert the bum stop to a raised back rest, and are just after sitting further back, just make yourself a thinner bum stop.

A piece of marine ply and a thin piece of foam, all covered in vinyl. Bolt that onto the original brackets. It'll be flat, rather than curved, but so is the seat without the bum stop. But at least you'll have some padding.

Just a thought.

Back to top Go down
soc714
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2013-05-31

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: seat issue   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 12:24 am

I have not had my S,wing long either, about 10 days. first I have not seen any maxi scooter that has a factory windshield big enough. I have already replaced my windshield with the tall Givi and longer mirrors. I have a seat kit from Ebay that adds a bracket to bring the original up to the middle of my back. But really for me to fit right I just take the butt rest all the way off. I am 5 foot 10 and I don't know why Honda made the body on the S,wing so small. I have plenty of room on my burg 400 and 650. I was concerned at first how rough the Honda rode compared to my burgs, but now that I have 2700 miles on it, it is starting to run smoother the more miles I put on it. I really like how the Honda handles and seems to be very stable on windy days. We sure have had a lot of wind in the Midwest this spring.
Back to top Go down
waterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-06

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat modification   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 12:10 pm

pt,
I know exactly what you mean.  I'm also 6'.  I removed the butt rest and bought the Airhawk cushion.  Still, those two knots that held the butt rest in place catch me right where I sit.  I can position the Airhawk cushion over the two knots, but then it leans me forward.  
I think I need to put a cutting blade on my Dremel tool and cut those off.  The problem, as you probably noticed is, I don't want to have to remove the seat covering.  So, I'm thinking I might make an attempt from the bottom.  I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking that's what I'll do.
If there's help for this situation on this site, I haven't found it yet.  It's probably here somewhere, though.  Everything else is.
WB
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat modification   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 1:27 pm

I removed the seat cover on mine and used a grinder to remove the humps, added a thin piece of foam and it made a big difference. You will need a good heavy duty stapler to recover, and come up with a solution for the slots in the seat cover. I glued pieces over mine but they need reworking  every so often, so I'm working on a more permanent solution. I'm 5'11"" about that big around so I need all the room I can get.If I can figure out how they turn it into a more saddle shaped like the one I had on my 45 Harley :takingit:Hummer that's what I would prefer. Or get a custom one, went to the local shop that does custom seats here but as it wasn't a full fledged cycle he couldn't touch it, or rather he wouldn't.
motorcycle
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat modification   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Interesting that this thread is active today.  Next week I am riding in the Rockin the Rockies ride from Colorado Springs to Durango and back and I have found that after about 100 miles or so my legs begin to feel cramped, so today I modified the back rest to gain some length for my legs.  I pulled the backrest off, removed the staples holding on the cover, cut about 3/4 to 1 inch of the foam off the front edge of the backrest, then recovered and reinstalled it.  It looks great and I think the extra inch makes quite a difference.  Very easy to do!
Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat modification   Seat modification I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Seat modification Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat modification   Seat modification I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat modification
Page 1 of 1